What Cartridge(s) Is Everyone Using

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
It's a one off as far as I know. I don't think he's offering them for sale.:(

My Japanese distributor, when he heard it, wanted to buy five of them. Then, my Hong Kong distributor wanted six..... so I may have to try to get it into production, but it's going to be heck of a pricey.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
Yep - I still have a couple.... and also a Virus.
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...s-Everyone-Using&p=89904&viewfull=1#post89904

I think that it's a wonderful cartridge, but it got "discredited" when someone posted that it is based on the lowly Denon 103 (not the R) and then charged megabucks. However, given the amount of work and selection (left/right channel matched to 0.1dB for example) that goes into this cartridge, I don't begrudge the manufacturer.

However, I found that it's tracking a bit lacking, and the top end a little compressed when compared to the truly megabuck cartridges, and I have the cantilever replaced with solid ruby, the stylus replaced with a line contour, and a couple more changes. Unfortunately, this makes it more finicky with set-up. SRA and azimuth has to be spot on. When it's properly aligned, it's the Emperor Dragon.

I used one of my modified Magic Diamonds in the demo in Hong Kong with the TechDAS Air Force ONE. After the first track that we played, the designer of the turntable looked at me and asked, "Can I buy 5 of your cartridges?"

Like taking a Porsche 911 and turning it into a Ruf 911 :)

Thanks for the response Gary , sounds serious, as much as me modifiying the Ruf ... :)

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
My Japanese distributor, when he heard it, wanted to buy five of them. Then, my Hong Kong distributor wanted six..... so I may have to try to get it into production, but it's going to be heck of a pricey.

Uhh, Ohh, Emperor Dragon Prices .... :) You should throw one in for every G1 purchase ......... :)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hey guys! I'm super excited! I'm about to rock an Ortofon 2M Black. Got it for a steal. Only 1 month old and 20 hours on it. The seller accepted a deposit as I can't pay for it in full until my bonus arrives in mid-December. I've never owned on Ortofon before, so I'm kinda nervous, but this cartridge has been highly praised and recommended, which is what made me decide to jump on it. If any of you have had any experience with this I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Tonepub

Jun 3, 2011
The 2M series are great. I think you will really enjoy it.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The 2M series are great. I think you will really enjoy it.

Ah...that's encouraging to hear, so thanks for your post! I do hear that this cartridge needs to have VTA available, so I'm going to be ordering the Pete Riggle VTAF. My Nottingham/Rega doesn't allow for this at the moment.

Tonepub

Jun 3, 2011
The stylus tip to body dimension on Rega cartridges is 15mm. Measure the 2m when you get it and chances are it might be something like 17mm, in which case you may only need to order a 2mm spacer from your Rega dealer to get great results. The VTAF used to require boring a hole in the plinth of your table. Make sure you are comfortable with doing that before proceeding. I've always been able to get close enough with the spacers, though I did use the VTAF with excellent results on a P25 years ago. Plus, I think the spacers are only about 20 bucks. Just a thought....

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The stylus tip to body dimension on Rega cartridges is 15mm. Measure the 2m when you get it and chances are it might be something like 17mm, in which case you may only need to order a 2mm spacer from your Rega dealer to get great results. The VTAF used to require boring a hole in the plinth of your table. Make sure you are comfortable with doing that before proceeding. I've always been able to get close enough with the spacers, though I did use the VTAF with excellent results on a P25 years ago. Plus, I think the spacers are only about 20 bucks. Just a thought....

Thanks for the tip on the spacers. I'll check out the dimensions of the 2M and take it from there. The Pete Riggle VTAF doesn't require boring a hole in the plinth...thankfully, as I would have to have someone do that. It basically only requires me to remove the arm and then set the VTAF into place. Here's the LINK. I could probably handle this myself. (I think).

mep

Apr 20, 2010
John-I hope it's a big upgrade for you and you really enjoy it.

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK
I'm still kicking myself...

rip%20monster.jpg

HK Panda

Nov 28, 2012
HK

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing