What Cartridge(s) Is Everyone Using

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Can anybody who tried both Azule and Coralstone comment on how these Koetsus compare to each other?

I have Coralstone and a Tiger Eye which is one step up from Azule. You are really splitting hairs as performance wise they are nearly identical save for some tonal flavor differences. I expect Azule to provide a similar level of performance and enjoyment.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
From what I'm hearing, the 2 cartridges everyone must have in their stable are the Coralstone and the Air Tight Supreme. Hopefully I should have a Supreme soon after RMAF.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
From what I'm hearing, the 2 cartridges everyone must have in their stable are the Coralstone and the Air Tight Supreme. Hopefully I should have a Supreme soon after RMAF.

Koetsu and AirTight are known to work well with your SME arm Bruce. Don't forget the Atlas which Albert Porter has along with the Supreme on two SME V-12s. I actually very slightly prefer the My Sonic Labs Signature Gold to the Supreme as it adds just a touch more detail and extension. The MSL may come in right between the Supreme and the Atlas in overall character. These are all top tier, IMO.

number95

May 14, 2014
I have Coralstone and a Tiger Eye which is one step up from Azule. You are really splitting hairs as performance wise they are nearly identical save for some tonal flavor differences. I expect Azule to provide a similar level of performance and enjoyment.

Great info! Thank you Christian. My Koetsu bug inside me calling for one :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

I have no experience with the Coralstone, but I am quite happy with the Sumiko Palo Santos and the van dan Hul Black Beauty. Both are an excellent match with the SME, I was told that the PS was designed using the SME V.

The Sumiko PS also has a micro stylus - when I took it out of the box I called my dealer complaining I cot a broken stylus!

Dentdog

Jan 5, 2014
Atlanta
Really nice cart. While I can only surmise, Ikeda put out some Fidelity Research carts in the 70s-early 80s. I picked up a FR MC202 a few months ago and can't force myself to listen to anything else as of yet. Looks like he uses a similar body, kinda wide and I guess sealed to prevent rubber exposure to the elements.

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
I have two Audio-Technica ART9.
I had before one Audio-Technica AT-OC9MLIII.
I will try ZYX Ultimate 4D 0.24 mV SB2 I think.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Ortofon MCA95 & Grado Eeon

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Zyx Airy III X low amazing deep tight bass
Zyx Rs 30 Series I retipped Shibata /Boron love that little cart energy pure
Audiotechnica ART One nice old gear
Lyra Titan i...left coil brocken... WTF
Ortofon Vienna my favorite for eighties vinyl and metal
Lyra Helikon ...magic with right phonoamp

Grace MM, Grado MI Reference..and lot more

drrsutliff

May 6, 2013
Fleming Island, FL
Miyajima Madake
Ortofon Windfeld Ti

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Miyajima Madake, Kuzma Car40 and I have a Miyabi Fuuga on its way!

Reactions: Dentdog

hongkongfoufou

Mar 3, 2018
2 Art9 (Audio-technica)
Ortofon X3-Mc

I am waiting my Zyx Ultimate 4D....

loki1957

Sep 19, 2012
Santa Fe NM
Koetsu rosewood standard
Allnic Amber
I use the Koetsu on an Integrity True Glide and the Allnic On the stock arm on my HW 40. I must say I prefer the Koetsu, true glide combo over the Allnic VPI. Is it the arm? Is it the cartridge? I can't say.

Last edited:
Reactions: hongkongfoufou

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
I use a Koetsu Urushi Black, SPU Synergy, & a Miyajima Zero 0.7 for mono duties. Also have a very old Allaerts MC1B Mk2 which needs re-tipping and I haven't got round to it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing