What Do You Do To Break In Your Cables?

I have used Alan's audio dharma cable cooker for over a year now. I was a skeptic but thought I'd give it a try. It works. Main advantage is a lowering of the noise floor an increase in transparency which also helps dynamics and ability to hear into the recording. It's not subtle. Used it on tonearm wiring, ICs, speaker cable and various parts. Yes, it also makes a difference when you "re-burn" 6 months later although it's much less pronounced than the first time. Tone arm wiring was less impacted for me as I believe the Triplanar folks already use it for burn in. What was most beneficial was breaking in my Maggy 3.6 internal custom speaker crossover which employs very big Duelund caps and inductors. This was the main reason I bought it. After 500 hours of regular play with the new custom XO, my system was still closed in, somewhat opaque, and not very dynamic. I actually longed for the stock XO to be back in again. Had I spent $5K for nothing? That's when I resorted to the AD. A full week later on the cable cooker totally transformed it!

It was also instructive to burn-in interconnects and speaker wire that had been in my system for several years as it still made a noticeable difference. I concluded that music signals are not as effective as the cooker for break-in no matter what the regular playing time.

Last edited:
I have used Alan's audio dharma cable cooker for over a year now. I was a skeptic but thought I'd give it a try. It works. Main advantage is a lowering of the noise floor an increase in transparency which also helps dynamics and ability to hear into the recording. It's not subtle. Used it on tonearm wiring, ICs, speaker cable and various parts. Yes, it also makes a difference when you "re-burn" 6 months later although it's much less pronounced than the first time. Tone arm wiring was less impacted as I believe the Triplanar folks already use it for burn in. What was most beneficial was breaking in my Maggy 3.6 internal custom speaker crossover which employs very big Duelund caps and inductors. This was the main reason I bought it. After 500 hours of regular play with the new custom XO, my system was still closed in, somewhat opaque, and not very dynamic. I actually longed for the stock XO to be back in again. Had I spent $5K for nothing? That's when I resorted to the AD. A full week later on the cable cooker totally transformed it!

It was also instructive to burn-in interconnects and speaker wire that had been in my system for several years as it made a big difference. I concluded that music signals are not as effective as the cooker for break-in no matter what the regular playing time.

I actually used the Cable Cooker to burn in Dueland caps before Charlie installed them in the King-Cello. Also would seem to be of great usefulness to say burn in those Teflon coupling caps and save 500 hours of wear and tear on the tubes. Would be interesting to somehow do a comparison of Cooker vs untreated caps. Sure Alan has done this.

Also seems that one might consider treating cables before upgrading.

Not to take money out of Alan's pocket but audio clubs might buy a cooker or two and lend it out to members.

I have to confess that I have never cooked a cable other than playing music through them as part of the normal setup. If I had a cable cooker I would give it a try or if I was so old that I wouldn't buy green bananas I would certainly buy one.

I elevate them and hang Christmas ornaments on them. White Christmas has never sounded so good!

OK so has anyone noticed any differences when burning in silver, silver plated or copper cables?

OK so has anyone noticed any differences when burning in silver, silver plated or copper cables?

From the FryCorder owners manual:

Duration- Empirical testing has led to the conclusion that most wiring achieves break-in after
two or three days of continuous burn. Silver conductors seem to take twice as long as copper.

As my mother said, if you don't have anything good to say (or in this case add to the discussion), then say nothing.

From the FryCorder owners manual:

Duration- Empirical testing has led to the conclusion that most wiring achieves break-in after
two or three days of continuous burn. Silver conductors seem to take twice as long as copper.

That agrees with what I have heard. I've just gone through a series of auditioning around eight cables for a phono cable survey. Some were copper, some were copper/silver plated and some were silver. The silver had never been treated (but had seen significant playing time) and I was ho-hum about its sound. Some good points, some bad points. But it still sounded like silver. The all silver cable definitely took longer to break in but when it finally did, the IC was far, far better than when it began the journey. Same goes for the silver plated cable too.

Up until now, I have just installed the cable (power, IC, speaker) and used it. Currently, I have a Shunyata Zitron Alpha powering a Panamax power conditioner, and a shop fan is attached to the Panamax. This has been going non-stop since Monday night. Friday morning I will install it on my Oppo 93 and leave it on all day. Late Friday night I will watch Avatar for the 738th time, and see if there has been any improvement. I have found Avatar to be an excellent disk for judging color, detail, clarity, and sound improvements.

On a related note, does anyone recall the Hovland study where they showed capacitor changes over time? I've been trying to find that work for a while. Does anyone have a copy.

Not to take money out of Alan's pocket but audio clubs might buy a cooker or two and lend it out to members.

Oddly enough, Myles I thought this would be the case many years ago. However, it's been a rarity for even a couple of friends to split the purchase....and that's only happened a handful of times over the 14 years of production. Go figure.

Oddly enough, Myles I thought this would be the case many years ago. However, it's been a rarity for even a couple of friends to split the purchase....and that's only happened a handful of times over the 14 years of production. Go figure.

Alan you have a lot of experience with burning many different brands in. anything you could share?

What Do You Do To Break In Your Cables?
I use them instead of talking about them

Don't underestimate the importance of a good conversation with your cables for optimal performance. I always explain in clear terms what I expect of them before burn in, and they respond well to open and honest dialogue.

Don't underestimate the importance of a good conversation with your cables for optimal performance. I always explain in clear terms what I expect of them before burn in, and they respond well to open and honest dialogue.

If speaker cables, do you talk to them both at the same time (jealously risk) or do you go them in turn (consistency risk); and do the speaker cables (unlike the i/cs) talk back?

If speaker cables, do you talk to them both at the same time (jealously risk) or do you go them in turn (consistency risk); and do the speaker cables (unlike the i/cs) talk back?

I start out with a teambuilding session - talking to all my cables at once. After a week of burn in, I do individual performance reviews.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing