What do you think of this video

What do you think of this video. And this is not directed to those who think every mobile phone video is trash, thanks. Please listen to the end for the brass and the woodwinds

Have him play some vinyls man. Tell him I like his system.The system will sound even better. If this video had click pop it could still be identify a digital.

Reactions: manisandher
Sense of air/energy and dynamics, decent attack from basses, warm, a bit rolled off, somewhat blurred, especially violins.

Nice mid bass but lacks the high end energy that I have been hearing from the Pnoe videos on here. Strings lack vibrancy. A bit dull overall.

So I got a lot of video comments offline before I uploaded it here. Tang's video insight was the highest and pretty accurate. Following are some of the comments, since those guys had PMed me before they seem to have not responded here

Tang: This sounds very very good Ked. The dynamic and jump factor is a 10 and come effortlessly at the right time. The tone is very neutral maybe a tad more vivid would fit very well to my liking but no flaw in tone. Instrument placement and scale is also exceptional. My only skeptic is it sound a bit too clean too well organized. If it is more organic meaning the texture is more raw and less clean it would to me sound even more natural. Anyway I think this is one of the better video you sent. The software that was played might make me hear it like that too.

Btw the humming was very natural.

Bill: Is pretty darned good. Am sure is the wood horn among other things

Keith: Sounds excellent! Can’t get a good feel for the bass but very immediate, good tone and flow

Jazzhead jumped to if the speaker would fit his room

Hieukm: Its natural with the good mid bass. The flow is good and natural.

Nice mid bass but lacks the high end energy that I have been hearing from the Pnoe videos on here. Strings lack vibrancy. A bit dull overall.

Correct, but that AER BD5 driver in the Pnoe is the best for violin when teamed up with the Mayer 46, the red sparrow on the Vyger is the best set up to play it, and those LPs are all brilliant. That Ida Haendel piece is also a superior violin piece, so a bit unfair to compare.

What do you think of this video. And this is not directed to those who think every mobile phone video is trash, thanks. Please listen to the end for the brass and the woodwinds

I think the video sounds quite good, especially since it appears to be in mono - implying he may just be using the smartphone's built-in mic. It amazes me how so many continue to poo-poo these types of recordings almost as if to pretend they are listening to an AM transistor radio.

Sure a recording of a recording cannot capture every vestige of an in-room presentation, especially the gestalt. But there is also so much that is preserved as demonstrated in this recording and with a little imagination can be very telling to those with at least some listening discernment.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. In a high-end audio forum where ultiimately nobody has a clue what others are trying to say or where they're coming from, I reckon a recording like this has got to be worth about 1.39 million words.

It's also an excellent way to separate the wheat from the chaffe as until the past few years all we had was to take somebody at their word. I wish I had such faith.

So, the above system is the Tune Audio Anima, that belongs to manisandher, and is being run with a 1200 GBP First Watt amp and biamped with another SS amp that drives the 15 inch bass woofer firing into the floor. Since the two amps have different gains, Mani uses Roon DRC to correct for this and we were streaming Tidal through Phasure dac but with the Phasure software disabled, Roon s/w being used.

The system plays exactly as Mani wants to. He wants nothing offensive, no clutter in the room, stream easily whatever music he wants. I thought the brass and woodwinds were terrific, the Anima midbass with the biamping really gets very good oomph, and the timbre of instruments is very organic. DRCed tidal violin will never sound as good as LP violin, but the suspension of disbelief works in person.

Ked,

I'm glad you still enjoy the piece. Was not trying to be snarky. Sorry you took the wrong way.

Reason I asked. On a personal note and in the past, I listened to the Beethoven symphonies so many times while recording on various tape decks. I rarely listen to these pieces anymore. Burnt my self out. That was the pure intent of the question I posed. The Four Seasons is much the same since it is played so often.

As a side note, I have 106 "likes" on my posts so maybe I'm not the "usually unfriendly" person you claim that I am. Something to consider before you start throwing verbal arrows.

Best.

Last edited:
Four seasons I can understand.

Beethoven, Bach, and many other pieces I can listen many times, often by different performers. When visiting people, I always use some standard recordings I carry around to have a common reference.

Reactions: gian60
It sounds nice, good.

Texture is more liquid than what is real. Body isn't what it could be on vinyl so dynamics sound lower even though SPL probably the same or higher. Tang is right though digital sound where things are spot lighted in a little bit of a weird way, doesn't sound like real instruments mixed (maybe a touch of HiFi in that way, but the best kind).

Just fyi, the owner has 3 TTs and a wall full of LPs he doesn't use. He uses the Townsend rock with Decca London and thoress phono in his second system which is quite compromised on compare. It is the smaller speaker from the Tune audio, the Marvel. He has a couple of TTs in storage

We did play the Bruckner 7 LP there, and it disappointed. No breath. I would like to try it in another system

Reactions: gian60
Four seasons I can understand.

Beethoven, Bach, and many other pieces I can listen many times, often by different performers. When visiting people, I always use some standard recordings I carry around to have a common reference.

Understood. I'm currently on a Mozart binge. Have all 26? piano concertos as well as many of his piano / violin works. It's my musical comfort food.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing