What do you use for a desk chair?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, the Freedom chair doesn't look to have the same adjustability as others. The 4-way adjustable armrests for example on the Leap v2 are pretty useful.

You are surely correct. The freedom chair does not have the same number of adjustments as competing chairs.

For whatever reason, I personally find its self-adjusting mechanism as you lean backward extremely comfortable.

Not necessarily a great analogy, but it reminds me of how I find my non-adjustable Ferrari bucket seat organically and naturally comfortable and supportive and gripping, whereas I rarely can adjust a multi-way, super-adjustable bucket seat in other cars to the exact same level of comfort.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
For you Aeron users, how easily can you lean back with adjustments? I'm not sure if it was an Aeron I sat in one time but I found it really hard to lean back and stay. If I'm going to go for a very adjustable chair, I want to be able to kick back and stay when I feel like it.

Easy lock and release latches for both forward and rear tilt on the left hand side of the seat :)

Oh, Aeron myself since 2001 I think. I have one in each of my three offices. It can get very hot here. The mesh is a big plus. Ergonomics was class leading then and others may have caught up but I never felt the urge to gamble happy as I have been.

Reactions: Folsom

sleepysurf

Sep 8, 2010
I just ordered a remanufactured Steelcase Criterion office chair from https://www.crandalloffice.com

That model is more compact than the Leap model referenced above, but Crandall sells those as well. Their refurbished chairs are almost complete re-builds, and carry a 12 year warranty (unlike other refurbishers). My chair is being delivered tomorrow, so I'll let you know how it works out.

Reactions: bazelio and Folsom

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
You are surely correct. The freedom chair does not have the same number of adjustments as competing chairs.

For whatever reason, I personally find its self-adjusting mechanism as you lean backward extremely comfortable.

Not necessarily a great analogy, but it reminds me of how I find my non-adjustable Ferrari bucket seat organically and naturally comfortable and supportive and gripping, whereas I rarely can adjust a multi-way, super-adjustable bucket seat in other cars to the exact same level of comfort.
A 360 thats not a Challenge Stradale with racing seat and gated shift, thats semi rare. Sorry, continue on.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I'm not really interested in the ball, and I'm too tall anyways. But I found some really interesting stuff today. First I would consider this as an alternative to a ball perhaps.

This page is rather interesting. (make sure you click on the button to see more). The Ollo looks appealing to me who does often like simple chairs. The one without a price that looks bizarre actually looks kinda heavenly for a nap.

I'm definitely into the idea of remanufactured, it's great to keep things in use. The Aeron is decent looking. I'm not sure I'm worried about heat, but I've found such chairs fairly comfy. Still I'm looking at something I know tends to be really nice for me, that might not be typical. This one has strong appeal to me, like I'd just be releasing into it holding me up entirely. I'm even tempted by overly simple chairs. [1] [2]

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Which one?

EA217: The centre one in the image below; mine has taupe leather.

sleepysurf

Sep 8, 2010
I just ordered a remanufactured Steelcase Criterion office chair from https://www.crandalloffice.com

That model is more compact than the Leap model referenced above, but Crandall sells those as well. Their refurbished chairs are almost complete re-builds, and carry a 12 year warranty (unlike other refurbishers). My chair is being delivered tomorrow, so I'll let you know how it works out.

Chair delivered today. Came pretty much fully assembled, except for having to slide the back onto the supports. Although refurbished, it looks virtually brand new. After playing with the various adjustments, I can say it's the most comfortable (mid-back) office chair I've ever sat in. Lumbar support is superb, which is what I was hoping for. I'm very impressed with the vendor, and the price was fantastic.

Interestingly, there's an audiophile angle here. While perusing their website, I noticed they also sell fabric art acoustic treatments... https://www.crandalloffice.com/shop/custom-fabric-products/custom-fabric-art-acoustic-sound-panels/

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
I got an Aeron chair off Craigslists. It seems gently used. I don't like it... too much pressure on the sides of my legs. It was the ONLY thing locally. Time to move onto the next.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing