What Does a Streamer Actually Do?

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
OK, we know what streamers are for, but what do they actually do and how do they do it?

In their simplest form, as far as I can see, they are connected to the big internet in the sky via your router (or a hard drive-stored library of music files) and they miraculously get that source to send it packages of data and irons it out into a beautifully smooth and constant stream of digital data that is fed to the next device - the DAC.

Is that basically it? If not, what have I misinterpreted or is there anything else a basic streamer does? I’m talking about a simple digital-out only streamer.

What makes one streamer better than another? Is its task as complex as say a DAC? I presume not as it handles digits only.

If it’s as simple at that, why do some streamers cost hundreds of times the cost of others? That’s apart from fancy cases, power supplies, sockets, etc that one would expect in a mega-bucks streamer.

Also, what should we look for in selecting our streamer? Is it really just its control app that makes for a great streamer?

I ask these simplistic questions because I'm considering replacing my all-in-one for an “all-in-two” consisting of streamer and digital integrated amp and I need to understand the aspects of my existing all-in-one that may be improved by buying something “better”. I understand how its DAC and amp can be improved upon, but what makes a worthwhile difference with streamers?

I’ve only really owned 2 streamers - my original Sonos ZP90 / Connect and one that’s built into my Master Series NAD. Both offer extremely good and user-friendly control apps and I refrained from upgrading from the Sonos until I found a streamer with a better control app than Sonos.

Is the control app pretty much the main consideration in choosing a streamer? If so, I may stick with my NAD’s streamer with its great app and buy a digital amp to do the rest. This could be the Mark Levinson 5802, Hegel H390, Copland CSA150 or other suitable alternative.

Or should I buy a “better” streamer such as Auralic, Lumin, Aurender or Rose? How can I convince myself that these streamers (let’s ignore their other features such as DACs) will actually sound better? Do any of these offer as good / user-friendly apps as BluOS and canthey be used on Windows PC, iPad and Android devices?

Thanks for any enlightening advice. M33_EISA-Award_Product_1920x1080px.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Lxgreen

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
As always KISS. I think streamers are redundant if you have Wi-fi.

PYP

Jan 13, 2022
Southwest, USA
There are other alternatives like the Grimm Audio MU1 which is a streamer/server/Roon endpoint/DDC. That last part, DDC, improves even very good DACs such as the Mola Mola Tambaqui. If Roon isn't for you, the MU1 with its current software will not work for you. Yet. Software upgrades will reportedly allow access to other software.

Besides the advantage of using a DDC (with its extremely low jitter) the MU1 is much less affected by network noise compared to the Tambaqui, which can also function as a streamer and which required assistance in the form of ethernet noise "cleaners." Removing the cleaners and adding the MU1 resulted in a more musically engaging setup. It actually changed the way I listen.

The only way to determine if it does the same in your setup is to get an in-home demo. That is what I did and I'm very happy with the result. The MU1 isn't inexpensive (approximately $12K with 2 TB storage) unless you compare it with the price continuum of high-end streamers and factor in its performance.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
Software and hardware play huge roles, as do the networking design and components within. When InnuOS 2.0 released, you could find a plethora of overly positive reviews regarding improvements in sound quality. I experienced it myself and felt it was about a $6-800 performance boost in terms of value, at least on the ZenMini. My favorite software to date under five figures is Lumin due to the apparent way they process the signal - its just more engaging and seems to be devoid of the digital elements some other brands have. As you move up their line, you can hear the noise floors drop due to improved hardware design.

I have not found all in one streamer/dac combos to blow me away by any means. There is one exception: recently, a CH Precision C1.2 with streamer card visited my system and it was sublime. That unit is $42,000 I believe and should be a top competitor for anyone searching at or above that price point. Below, that, I haven't heard anything that couldn't be beat rather handily by a good dac paired with a good streaming transport.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Using my new Qobuz-dedicated iPad as a streamer going to a Sonore UltraBridge is yielding smoother, less edgy sound than I was expecting. But I think it is less dynamic than playing the same track on a CD. I am wondering myself if I even need a streamer.

Reactions: Iving

RCanelas

Dec 28, 2021
Lisbon, Portugal
cinnamonaudio.com
As with a lot of boxes in our systems, it depends on your priorities and how you expect to consume digital music.

The minimum viable streamer for me is akin to a digital transport:
- grabs the data from somewhere (abstracts the data location) and makes it available at a digital output in a bit perfect manner
- this can be from a service stream, internet radio, nas in your network, usb connected harddrive, doesn't matter
- provides a minimum amount of buffering so your output stream is steady
- provides effective isolation from the outside noise chaos. Galvanic isolation at I/O. Recloking for non async outputs (spdif, i2s, aes).
- provides an effective interface to configure, integrate outside services, navigate and select media.

So think of it as a gateway and a noise breaker. Given these specs I require one that is not integrated with other functions. These are small format, mini-computers, and one-boxing them with amplification and dacs is not my jam. I would always opt for a separate component as you listed, but I wouldn't expect performance differences if these minimums that I listed are covered. Since I use roon, I have another device running the service, and this is my endpoint, my noise breaker. If you want to use another app, that would be my greatest differentiator when choosing one of those: do they expose a decent app, is it maintained, can I use 3rd party apps etc. Anything that doesn't support UpnP would be out immediately for me, as being locked with something like Play-Fi (for example) would drive me homicidal in a few hours.

Reactions: joaovieira

TDX

Jan 14, 2020
I don’t know how to explain things in the technical terms other than telling you it’s all about the noises and voicing. Lower the noise, better the sounding. I have heard a few streamers/servers. Some of them sound thin. Some are very exciting in the treble spectrum in my system. And the one I use now make the music popping out, accurate positioning and balanced sound. So, if you have the means, I recommend you try a better streamer.

Reactions: Mr Peabody

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
I wouldn't think of having my stereo setup without my streamer. It is a key element for a great quality.

Daverich4

May 8, 2020
As always KISS. I think streamers are redundant if you have Wi-fi.
I don’t think that’s correct. Wi-if could be used to get the signal from your streamer to your stereo but you still need a device to receive/control the signal from whatever your online source is.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
i tried it both ways. Not only is there no difference to me,but the system works fine both ways.
I am waiting for an explanation. Just because I do not understand does not mean there is no credible explanation.

Daverich4

May 8, 2020
i tried it both ways. Not only is there no difference to me,but the system works fine both ways.
I am waiting for an explanation. Just because I do not understand does not mean there is no credible explanation.
I don’t quite understand what you mean by trying it both ways. How does the signal get from the Internet to your stereo if you don’t have a streamer?

Reactions: facten

RCanelas

Dec 28, 2021
Lisbon, Portugal
cinnamonaudio.com
Daverich4 is correct!
You always use a streamer, whether you see it or not. You need something to make the call to 'somewhere' where the data is, receive it and pass it along to a DAC. If you use a phone or a tablet, there you have it, it is the streamer and you are using it's DAC. If you have a network enabled DAC, either it has a streamer, or it is just an endpoint and you use your tablet or something to place the data there in a proprietary way, you use a streamer or even two in chain. A streamer a mandatory element if you play digital music not from a physical format.

The question is, is it a quality streamer? Are you preserving your data bit-perfect? Are you blocking, filtering and not creating more noise?
To be honest, I'm not surprised you don't experience a difference in different ways of doing this. Digital data transmission is very robust (the whole point in that idea), and high quality electronics are ubiquitous and cheap nowadays.

Reactions: Daverich4

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I don’t quite understand what you mean by trying it both ways. How does the signal get from the Internet to your stereo if you don’t have a streamer?
I have two main setups.
1. My desktop computer t receives a wireless wi- fi signal from my internet router. It is then transported to my stereo via a USB cord.
2. I can receive a signal form my smartphone either through my home wi-fi or directly from my smartphone carrier. then transport the vi Bluetooth to my dac/amp.
Don't get me wrong . I am not advising anyone not to use a streamer.

Daverich4

May 8, 2020
In example 1 your computer is your streamer and in example 2 your phone is your streamer. I‘m not aware of any way to do the process without one.

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...I think the popular term "streamer" can lead to confusion. Often folks seem to me to consider streaming as providing a path to the internet through which digital files are "streamed" using a "streamer." Oh my!

@RCanelas your helpful (as always) description makes the broader point that even requesting files from a NAS or HD is streaming. As in, it's a "stream" of data.

Couldn't we even abstract the "physical media" (CD) concept to consider the CD a type of mini-storage, and reading it and sending it to a dac (internal or external) as a type of streaming? Perhaps we need the term "transport" to distinguish the file from the disc?

I'm stretching it here just to make the point that "streaming" is a confusing term, and it may all be digital streaming...just a matter of how far those bits are traveling and where they live.

Reactions: RCanelas

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
I have two main setups.
1. My desktop computer t receives a wireless wi- fi signal from my internet router. It is then transported to my stereo via a USB cord.
2. I can receive a signal form my smartphone either through my home wi-fi or directly from my smartphone carrier. then transport the vi Bluetooth to my dac/amp.
Don't get me wrong . I am not advising anyone not to use a streamer.
both your methods include streamers - there's one in your PC and one in your phone. I have to say both these options will be relatively poor as neither a PC nor a phone is designed primarily for audio and the investment in these 2 streamers is miniscule. They will stream music but with lots of unwanted side effects - noise, jitter, who knows what!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
{Text omitted]" They will stream music but with lots of unwanted side effects - noise, jitter, who knows what!" Hear Here

Hence the question: What do (outboard)streamers do?

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
They will stream music without unwanted side effects - noise, jitter, who knows what!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
How do they do that?

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
There are many nice streamers dedicated to high end audio. Each one has its design and features.
I will paste here the short description of the streamer I use. Of course there are many others.

“The DNP-SR is the perfect network streaming companion for our DSD-MR MK2 and DSD-SR MK2 D/A converters.

It offers rich analogue-like sound quality from computer-based playback mostly because it runs on 100% low-noise linear power supplies and uses femto-clocks.

The XMOS USB controller, LAN network controller, Wi-Fi network module and even the quad-core processor and its memory are running on linear power regulators.

Being based on AURALiC Aries platform, the DNP-SR is feature-rich and can be used with Roon, Spotify, TIDAL, Qobuz and DropBox, if you have such accounts.”

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing