What ethernet cables are members using?

Hydrology

Sep 14, 2020
I use a Nordost Heimdall 2 from modem to router. Everywhere else its CAT8 by Supra with Telegartner plugs.

D353984D-29B0-4262-BAF3-E163A33D00D5.jpeg

Bluedog

Nov 22, 2013
Boston
Shunyata Sigma ethernet from Coax - Ethernet converter to Innuos Zenith 2 streamer.

Reactions: Mark38

Esotar

VIP/Donor
Mar 27, 2016
South Korea
www.digituslabs.kr
Reactions: Sablon Audio

Hydrology

Sep 14, 2020
So if I use one of these to do my internet banking, is it going to change my balance for the better?

Oh, of course - this works for music - not data..........oh wait........
Your point?

I don’t really care for how it sounds when I’m paying a bill, only interested in performance improvements for audio.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
So if I use one of these to do my internet banking, is it going to change my balance for the better?

Oh, of course - this works for music - not data..........oh wait........
Cable induced jitter will not change banking data. However, it will affect the audio quality.

Reactions: Hydrology

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Göbel Lacorde Statement Ethernet cable.

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet Cables throughout my network. Tremendous ease and excellent detail. I had two other popular brands in my network and couldn’t live with them. One was so bright sounding it drove me crazy. The other sounded so severely muffled I had to raise the volume to compensate.

Ken

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Well Ken has reminded me that between the ISP Modem-Router and the Sonore Optical Module, I also have Audioquest Diamond. Göbel is between Uptone EtherREGEN and Melco Server.

Reactions: Alpinist

Dthagerty@aol.com

VIP/Donor
Dec 31, 2015
Solana Beach, CA
About 9 months ago I upgraded a number of interconnects in my system from SR Galileo LE to Galileo SX. In addition, I went from a generic Staples ethernet cable to SR Galileo SX ethernet cable. BY FAR, BY FAR, the biggest sonic improvement was with the Gaileo SX ethernet cable. It was IMMEDIATELY obvious that the SR ethernet was SO much better than the Staples cable that I couldn’t stop laughing. I can’t think of another component change I’ve ever made that resulted in such improvement. And that was NOT what I expected, so no expectation bias. (I had already purchased the other cables but not the ethernet cable—I only agreed to try it because I didn’t think it would make an audible difference.)

I am firmly in the “if you hear a difference but can’t measure it, you’re measuring the wrong thing” camp!

Reactions: Matias

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Just today I swapped out my AQ ethernet cable between my opticalModule and my Vivaldi Upsampler for a Shunyata Sigma unit. Very, very pleased with what I am hearing.

Reactions: kerisabe

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Just today I swapped out my AQ ethernet cable between my opticalModule and my Vivaldi Upsampler for a Shunyata Sigma unit. Very, very pleased with what I am hearing.
Hi Jim,

The newer Shunyata digital cables are really fine. What model of AQ Ethernet cable were you replacing and what sort of Optical Module are you using in your system?

Best,
Ken

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Hi Jim,

The newer Shunyata digital cables are really fine. What model of AQ Ethernet cable were you replacing and what sort of Optical Module are you using in your system?

Best,
Ken
I was only using the AQ Vodka which I have now sold. Prior to acquiring a opticalModule from Small Green Computer almost two years ago I had tried a GigaFoil, a Keces LPS and a AQ Diamond Ethenet in my set-up. I could never get it to work, continuous dropouts. I returned those products and started looking for something else to isolate noise from getting to my Vivaldi Upsampler/DAC.

I ordered the optricalModule and a TRENDnet TEG S51SFP switch from SGC. I inserted the switch just after by Orbi Wireless device and connected my SGC i5 via a short run of ethernet. I then ran a 30' run of optical cable from the location of the i5 and Trendnet switch down to my 2-channel room. The run of optical cable is connected to the opticalModule which sits near my dCS Upsampler. I now the short run of Shunyata Sigma ethernet between the opticalModule and the Upsampler where I had been using the AQ Vodka.

My Roon set-up has been rock solid since going with the opticaModule and the sound with the new Shunyata Sigma Ethernet something special.

Reactions: Alpinist

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing