What ethernet cables are members using?

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Your point?

I don’t really care for how it sounds when I’m paying a bill, only interested in performance improvements for audio.
If your 1’s and 0’s are making it correctly to the bank, then your music is using the same hardware Ethernet layers to deliver bit perfect data. Sounds like something other than the network is causing an issue ?
Galvanic isolation, transformers, etc... used in the audio hardware should take care of the “jitter” everyone blames on ”bad” SQ. Look elsewhere besides the network for shortcomings as the ones and zeros are being delivered just fine to your gear.

Hydrology

Sep 14, 2020
If your 1’s and 0’s are making it correctly to the bank, then your music is using the same hardware Ethernet layers to deliver bit perfect data. Sounds like something other than the network is causing an issue ?
Galvanic isolation, transformers, etc... used in the audio hardware should take care of the “jitter” everyone blames on ”bad” SQ. Look elsewhere besides the network for shortcomings as the ones and zeros are being delivered just fine to your gear.
Thanks for the advice but I “shan’t” be taking it. I let my ears decide.

vhs

Dec 12, 2019
I am using Sablon 2020 Ethernet cable and Pachanko Ethernet "Aphelion"...

Both amazing.....

shaned

Nov 7, 2019
All Sablon cabling here including the new 2020 Ethernet and Usb Cables, already had RCA’s for Dac to Preamp and XLR’s for Pre to Power and Speaker Cables. Looking at getting a new Tonearm cable later in the year to replace my standard AMG cable.

vhs

Dec 12, 2019
Sablon 2020 Ethernet cable......so good.........

Attachments

• sablon 2020 lan.jpg
    sablon 2020 lan.jpg
    615.5 KB · Views: 35

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
Palm Beach County, Florida
I use Synergistic Atmosphere X CAT6 purchased from Alfred at highend-electronics. It runs between my LDMS server and my SOtM switch. I really like the cable and I can't recommend Alfred highly enough. Great guy to do business with.

Reactions: kerisabe

amey01

Mar 3, 2015
Queensland, Australia
Cable induced jitter will not change banking data. However, it will affect the audio quality.
There is no jitter on ethernet cable. It is a data transfer medium. It is buffered at each end. It's not an SPDIF cable operating at 44.1khz.

If you want to understand it, best you do the research first. If you're happy spending $$ on unnecessary cable then enjoy......

Reactions: Mikem53

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
I'm still trying to figure out why some folks don't believe LAN cables make a difference. Someone I trust was detailing for me the SQ difference he hears between various brands of silver solder and lead-free vs leaded solder. Maybe because I've been in this since 1975 and remember when Bob Fulton demonstrated how his wires were superior to zip cord (or Monster) that I am willing to believe anything, or at least NOT not believe it until I have used my own ears (God's greatest measurement devices).

JMO

amey01

Mar 3, 2015
Queensland, Australia
I'm still trying to figure out why some folks don't believe LAN cables make a difference.

Because we understand the problems with the human-machine interface. And because we understand the technicalities of what is going on, and are not just applying 1975 analogue mentality to high-tech digital networks?

amey01

Mar 3, 2015
Queensland, Australia
Your point?

I don’t really care for how it sounds when I’m paying a bill, only interested in performance improvements for audio.
That's exactly my point - you're making it for me.

Networks deal every day with petabytes of data, much of which is far more important than music.

Maybe it'd be best if you think about what makes data (which happens to represent music) different to any other data.

It is conceivable that an ethernet cable could affect sound quality. But if it were the case then the architecture would have to be flawed. And when we're talking about the very same systems/protocols that are used for health records, air traffic control, stock market operations, power grid operation, etc.....that's a scenario which is just not negotiable.

Reactions: Mikem53

ihmeyers

VIP/Donor
Nov 13, 2017
I don't want to get into a pissing contest with you but you legit don't hear differences? I can hear the differences between same value resistors made by different companies, same cables with different RCA plugs, etc. I take you at your word. You don't hear it.

I do and so do many audiophile friends of mine. It's like they say, difference of opinion makes a horse race.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

amey01

Mar 3, 2015
Queensland, Australia
I can hear the differences between same value resistors made by different companies

I certainly don't doubt you on that. ^^

I can't say I've ever swapped out resistors, so I can't really speak with authority. But there could well be differences, certainly.

Not ethernet though - that's just not how the technology works. (I should qualify - unless of course, you're using it to stream clocked bitstream - but I'm not aware of any implementation that would use that).

Difference of opinion!! YES. The forum wouldn't need to exist if we all agreed!

Reactions: vutranchitam

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Networks deal every day with petabytes of data, much of which is far more important than music.

Maybe it'd be best if you think about what makes data (which happens to represent music) different to any other data.

It is conceivable that an ethernet cable could affect sound quality. But if it were the case then the architecture would have to be flawed. And when we're talking about the very same systems/protocols that are used for health records, air traffic control, stock market operations, power grid operation, etc.....that's a scenario which is just not negotiable.
The OSI model is described here. You should note that layer 1 is the physical layer. I point this out because those who say an Ethernet cable can’t affect sound quality offer proof of this by what pointing to what occurs at the layers above this with no regard for what might be occurring to our sensitive audio gear simply by being physically connected to this wiring. This isn’t about the data - as all of it gets across. It’s about how it gets across and what it brings along with it - and the impact of that on sensitive audio components.

Reactions: Magnuska

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
The signal on the cable is an analog signal that represents the digital data.

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
The signal on the cable is an analog signal that represents the digital data.
Yet the results are the same, exact delivery of digital information Via the TCP hardware layer.

amey01

Mar 3, 2015
Queensland, Australia
simply by being physically connected to this wiring.

If simply being connected to it brings demise of sound quality, then a better cable should mean worse sound. After all, a better cable should give a better connection!!

Thing is - if I'm spending multi-$thousands on a DAC, the least I expect is proper isolation. If it is not doing that then it is not doing its job. And a different cable ain't going to help.

Reactions: vutranchitam

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
If simply being connected to it brings demise of sound quality, then a better cable should mean worse sound. After all, a better cable should give a better connection!!

You don't seem interested in trying to understand what's at play at here.

Thing is - if I'm spending multi-$thousands on a DAC, the least I expect is proper isolation. If it is not doing that then it is not doing its job. And a different cable ain't going to help.
I actually find that the ethernet cable is one of the least important cables - but in this hobby everything matters. You are more than welcome to use whatever you want. It's only your system and your musical enjoyment that you'd be hurting by ignoring this cable.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing