What ethernet cables are members using?

vutranchitam

Aug 8, 2020
If simply being connected to it brings demise of sound quality, then a better cable should mean worse sound. After all, a better cable should give a better connection!!

Thing is - if I'm spending multi-$thousands on a DAC, the least I expect is proper isolation. If it is not doing that then it is not doing its job. And a different cable ain't going to help.
FYI I am on your side totally.
Audiophile customer’s Problem is Audiophilia Nervosa. https://www.stereophile.com/content/audiophilia-nervosa-1
A lot of member here are sellers too.
So They will never understand what you want to tell them.
Never my friend :)

Reactions: amey01 and Mikem53

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
@kennyb123

I have 2 audiophile switches between my roon endpoint and core and another switch between the router and my system. You have guided me to better SFP's for fiber between 2 of my switches but I still have a lot of copper ethernet cables. I am using mostly SOtM Cat7's and found them to be profoundly better than regular computer ethernet cables.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I have 2 audiophile switches between my roon endpoint and core and another switch between the router and my system. You have guided me to better SFP's for fiber between 2 of my switches but I still have a lot of copper ethernet cables. I am using mostly SOtM Cat7's and found them to be profoundly better than regular computer ethernet cables.

I tried the SOtM CAT7 here a while back and was really impressed. It brought a more organic sound over the others I tried. I easily preferred it to a few Wireworld Ethernet cables. I thought the price was fair too.

I ended up going with Shunyata Sigma as I was able to purchase a used cable at a good price. There is some greater synergy with it and the other Shunyata cables I own.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
But 1’s and 0’s are still 1’s and 0’s.
Are you being serious? Or are you sarcastically mocking those who make that claim?

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Are you being serious? Or are you sarcastically mocking those who make that claim?
I’m being serious.. I’m not mocking anyone nor is that my intention.. i Don’t believe using silver wire vs copper for ethernet will make ANY difference..

Reactions: amey01

amey01

Mar 3, 2015
Queensland, Australia
I don’t believe you genuinely care to know.
I DO care to know. That's precisely why I asked!

Mind you - I might not agree with you - but I don't have to agree with you (just as you clearly don't agree with me). But that's okay - That's what makes for a useful and valuable forum, right?

But even then - It's not about us - it's about the thousands of people who stop by afterwards wondering about ethernet cables - and can read a wealth of different opinions in one spot. That's the true value!

In reality - we're not talking about tiny analogue voltages/nuances here that might get lost with a cheap/lesser cable. We're talking about 1s and 0s that are designed on an industrial protocol - and the representations of those 1s and 0s are so ridiculously far above the noise floor of the cable that they could never practically get impacted. (what's more, the spec has error correction, CRC and resend ability if there is an error). So if the 1s and 0s can't get lost, the only thing a better cable can transmit is more noise. Surely that is not what you want, is it?

So tell me - pretty please - what's at play?

Last edited:

vutranchitam

Aug 8, 2020
Come on guys, let it go. I would much rather read about what the thread title is about.

For the record I am using Sablon 2020 Ethernet cables.
Just so you know i am using Amazon unshielded Ethernet plastic cable to feed my Vivaldi One and a 7$/m speaker cable for my Mezzo XD. Other 3 or 5 times more expensive system can’t beat my system.
Save your money on other thing of life.
Dont be fool.
Amey01 from what i read is a good and wise guy who give good advice!
Audiophile to me is a big Myth just like Diamond (if you know). Dont let it fool you when being enjoy simple music.

Reactions: amey01

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Just so you know i am using Amazon unshielded Ethernet plastic cable to feed my Vivaldi One and a 7$/m speaker cable for my Mezzo XD. Other 3 or 5 times more expensive system can’t beat my system.
Save your money on other thing of life.
Dont be fool.
Amey01 from what i read is a good and wise guy who give good advice!
Audiophile to me is a big Myth just like Diamond (if you know). Dont let it fool you when being enjoy simple music.
Would live to see some photos and videos of your system please! I want to see if my 6x as expensive as your system will win ;)

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Would live to see some photos and videos of your system please! I want to see if my 6x as expensive as your system will win ;)
or if my .6 x as expensive system might even give the mezzo setup a go :eek:

Last edited:

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014

That’s very pretty and I am sure none of us are really fools simply because we all love what we have... otherwise we would be indeed.

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
You know I totally get this argument. The entire logic and science behind networking tells us that if you transmit a bit perfect signal perfectly it will sound the same wherever it lands up, regardless of how it got there. And to some degree that’s true. Build your system around consumer grade networking with $5 power supplies and $3 cables and its will sound fine. Perfect even. Swap a cable and its very unlikely you‘ll hear any difference whatsoever in that context. But here’s the problem. When you ignore what you know and what the theory tells you and spend a ridiculous amount of money on PROPERLY optimizing your network, you get the most incredible uplifts in sound quality. And the more you optimize, the bigger the uplifts become. Networking is the only area I‘ve ever found that entirely reverses the law of diminishing returns and I have absolutely no explanation as to why these uplift happen but I’m absolutely certain they do.
Try streaming this album
Its by Yello. Its entirely synthetic but has some of the most pleasing tonal, PRaT, bass, upper treble and totally immersive 3D soundstage attributes. Its literally like an audio firework display with music completely integrated with space. No speakers, no walls or listening room, just massive space filled with 3 dimensional music.
Alternatively try streaming Swiss Radio Classics and listen to the voices of the announcers (the music is fantastic BTW). Its 128kbps.Describe the voices and how they’re sounding on your system. If they’re not sounding like eerily real people in your listening room, blame your network.
I don't know you from a bar of soap so I really shouldn’t care what you’re listening to. But the ‘bits are bits’ doctrine in audio can be very expensive when you invest in a lot of expensive kit and never hear anything like its full potential because your network is already theoretically perfect. That doctrine can result in a lifetime of missing out, so yes, you can save a few hundred or even thousand of bucks on cables, power supplies etc for your network, but then you pay that back multiple times in missed enjoyment. Entirely you choice. ;)

vutranchitam

Aug 8, 2020
You know I totally get this argument. The entire logic and science behind networking tells us that if you transmit a bit perfect signal perfectly it will sound the same wherever it lands up, regardless of how it got there. And to some degree that’s true. Build your system around consumer grade networking with $5 power supplies and $3 cables and its will sound fine. Perfect even. Swap a cable and its very unlikely you‘ll hear any difference whatsoever in that context. But here’s the problem. When you ignore what you know and what the theory tells you and spend a ridiculous amount of money on PROPERLY optimizing your network, you get the most incredible uplifts in sound quality. And the more you optimize, the bigger the uplifts become. Networking is the only area I‘ve ever found that entirely reverses the law of diminishing returns and I have absolutely no explanation as to why these uplift happen but I’m absolutely certain they do.
Try streaming this album
Its by Yello. Its entirely synthetic but has some of the most pleasing tonal, PRaT, bass, upper treble and totally immersive 3D soundstage attributes. Its literally like an audio firework display with music completely integrated with space. No speakers, no walls or listening room, just massive space filled with 3 dimensional music.
Alternatively try streaming Swiss Radio Classics and listen to the voices of the announcers (the music is fantastic BTW). Its 128kbps.Describe the voices and how they’re sounding on your system. If they’re not sounding like eerily real people in your listening room, blame your network.
I don't know you from a bar of soap so I really shouldn’t care what you’re listening to. But the ‘bits are bits’ doctrine in audio can be very expensive when you invest in a lot of expensive kit and never hear anything like its full potential because your network is already theoretically perfect. That doctrine can result in a lifetime of missing out, so yes, you can save a few hundred or even thousand of bucks on cables, power supplies etc for your network, but then you pay that back multiple times in missed enjoyment. Entirely you choice. ;)
Do you see yourself in here sir? :)
Audiophilia Nervosa
What ever you are saying is ok. But we all need other opinions. Your choice after all.
I hope you could also think about other things in life like that. That’s the best.
Cheers.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing