What ethernet cables are members using?

amey01

Mar 3, 2015
Queensland, Australia
. That doctrine can result in a lifetime of missing out, so yes, you can save a few hundred or even thousand of bucks on cables, power supplies etc for your network, but then you pay that back multiple times in missed enjoyment. Entirely you choice. ;)

Or else you could spend a few extra thousand dollars on speakers or room treatments - and get a really big improvement!

I'd really like to know why this theory only works with data (which happens to represent music).

Why doesn't optimising the network impact on other data (that doesn't represent music)?

I really wish it would work on my banking......you know - optimise my network and see "INCREDIBLE UPLIFTS" in my bank balance !!

Reactions: vutranchitam

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
And the more you optimize, the bigger the uplifts become. Networking is the only area I‘ve ever found that entirely reverses the law of diminishing returns and I have absolutely no explanation as to why these uplift happen but I’m absolutely certain they do.

There seems to be consensus that playback without network sounds better that with the most sophisticated UHQ network.
For serious listening with Qobuz I turn network completely off after loading the files into RAM, so I am curious how big the SQ delta is in your case when you playback music with network off or disconnected.
Thanks

Matt

Last edited:

amey01

Mar 3, 2015
Queensland, Australia
There seems to be consensus that playback without network sounds better that with the most sophisticated UHQ network.
For serious listening with Qobuz I turn network completely off after loading the files into RAM, so I am curious how big the SQ delta is in your case when you playback music with network off or disconnected.
Thanks

Matt
All the network does is load these files to RAM/buffer. Whether the network is on or off shouldn't change how the files are read from the buffer to the processor/DAC.

If you're hearing a difference here, it's because:

1. You're actually not hearing a difference
or
2. There is something gravely wrong with your configuration.
or
3. There is something gravely wrong with the engineering / implementation of your equipment.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA

My opticalModule is plugged into a smart plug so I can kill my network using my iPhone while music is playing. There is a small uptick in sound quality when I do that. I don’t do that all the time, but it’s worthwhile when I’m only focusing on the music.

Reactions: matthias

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
So far I have avoided network issues by having my hard drive directly connected to my Lumin, and avoiding streaming off the Internet. However, I realize I am turning into a Luddite and will have to eventually deal with this issue. Hopefully by then we will have a better understanding how current Ethernet technology negatively affects musical data.

Reactions: kennyb123

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
All the network does is load these files to RAM/buffer. Whether the network is on or off shouldn't change how the files are read from the buffer to the processor/DAC.

If you're hearing a difference here, it's because:

1. You're actually not hearing a difference
or
2. There is something gravely wrong with your configuration.
or
3. There is something gravely wrong with the engineering / implementation of your equipment.

4. A home network can act like an antenna that picks up noise that can actually degrade audio perform and simply disconnecting the network is akin to disconnecting that antenna.

Why don’t you try this experiment yourself? Approach it humbly by setting aside your preconceived notions. If possible have someone pull the cable without you knowing if it’s in or out. Let your ears and your own experiments inform your positions.

Hearing the difference has been helpful in my pursuit of making improvements that reduce the harm my network is doing.

Another thing I would recommend is buying a Cable Matters CAT8 cable from Amazon for less than $20. Use this at the input of your audio device. Many listeners including myself find this to sound pretty darn good - especially for the price.

Reactions: christoph

amey01

Mar 3, 2015
Queensland, Australia
4. A home network can act like an antenna that picks up noise that can actually degrade audio perform and simply disconnecting the network is akin to disconnecting that antenna.

True - but your hi-fi components would have to be pretty flawed if they didn't isolate from this.

And he said "turn the network off" - not "disconnect it". Unless it is disconnected, then the "antenna" effect is still there. So this point is invalidated.

(to be fair - we're talking about two different things here - 1. Cable; and 2. whether connection (period) causes a loss of performance.)

AND: A better cable 'ain't going to change any of that.

Another thing I would recommend is buying a Cable Matters CAT8 cable from Amazon for less than $20. Use this at the input of your audio device. Many listeners including myself find this to sound pretty darn good - especially for the price.

I can't. Because I use wi-fi to my streamer. (Oh no, did I open another can of worms? Sorry if I did.)

Reactions: Mikem53

amey01

Mar 3, 2015
Queensland, Australia
So far I have avoided network issues by having my hard drive directly connected to my Lumin,

Wow. I won't even postulate. I'll say with utmost certainty - having a vibrating/spinning/noisy (both electrically and acoustically) hard disk whirring away in your listening room is unilaterally worse than a network connection!

.......and some of us espouse spending $multi-thousands on cable to get a "blacker background" and other such fodder........you've just incisively blown all that out of the water in one fell swoop!

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Wow. I won't even postulate. I'll say with utmost certainty - having a vibrating/spinning/noisy (both electrically and acoustically) hard disk whirring away in your listening room is unilaterally worse than a network connection!

.......and some of us espouse spending $multi-thousands on cable to get a "blacker background" and other such fodder........you've just incisively blown all that out of the water in one fell swoop!
This thread is about what Ethernet cables people use... you have made yourself very clear, it would genuinely be good just to get back to the original post.

Last edited:

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
True - but your hi-fi components would have to be pretty flawed if they didn't isolate from this.

And he said "turn the network off" - not "disconnect it". Unless it is disconnected, then the "antenna" effect is still there. So this point is invalidated.

(to be fair - we're talking about two different things here - 1. Cable; and 2. whether connection (period) causes a loss of performance.)

AND: A better cable 'ain't going to change any of that.

I can't. Because I use wi-fi to my streamer. (Oh no, did I open another can of worms? Sorry if I did.)
Clearly you weren't being honest when you said you were genuinely interested in hearing an explanation. Yes, you do seem to be trolling.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Clearly you weren't being honest when you said you were genuinely interested in hearing an explanation. Yes, you do seem to be trolling.
I admire your energy, good will and calm :cool:

BUT: the best way to treat trolls is to not feed them ;)

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
Hopefully by then we will have a better understanding how current Ethernet technology negatively affects musical data.
I think they already have. Music , banking, missiles, etc.. Not affected.
My last comment on this. Enjoy your music anyway it happens to enter your life !
Back on topic, Respect to all in here for doing everything they can to improve their musical enjoyment!
Good day all!

1616577841190.jpeg

amey01

Mar 3, 2015
Queensland, Australia

I am certainly interested in the original thread topic - what is the genuine explanation as to why some cables sound different??

We seem to have gotten a little off topic in talking about disconnection of the network (and fairly, other things too). So let's put those aside.

So let's keep it on track - why do some ethernet cables sound different?

Please don't call names.

Magnuska

Nov 21, 2020
I am certainly interested in the original thread topic - what is the genuine explanation as to why some cables sound different??

We seem to have gotten a little off topic in talking about disconnection of the network (and fairly, other things too). So let's put those aside.

Please don't call names.
To make these things more understandable for me I use the 2 different cars analogy. We have one old and one new car. Both will take you between A to B , equally fast if speed regulation is followed. (Data stream packets)

Lets say the old car is my first VW Golf -75 year model lemon yellow ( representing the basic network cable)
A bumby ride due to simple and plain suspension, where noise from the outside makes it a very uncomfortably ride.

The other example is a 2021 Audio e-tron packed will all latest technology to give you a smooth, comfortable and enjoyable ride from A to B. (representing a modern audiophile network cable)

Wich car would you prefer ? :)

Last edited:

Mikem53

Oct 1, 2020
To make these things more understandable for me I use the 2 different cars analogy. We have one old and one new car. Both will take you between A to B , equally fast if speed regulation is followed. (Data stream packets)

Lets say the old car is my first VW Golf -75 year model lemon yellow ( representing the basic network cable)
A bumby ride due to simple and plain suspension, where noise from the outside makes it a very uncomfortably ride.

The other example is a 2021 Audio e-tron packed will all latest technology to give you a smooth, comfortable and enjoyable ride from A to B. (representing a modern audiophile network cable)

Wich car would you prefer ? :)
Since they both end up the same, I would take the bumpy ride, as I like to feel the Road.
The money saved from buying the new heavy padded expensive car would go to buying something to make my music sound, Better..

Reactions: Magnuska

Blackmorec

Feb 1, 2019
Or else you could spend a few extra thousand dollars on speakers or room treatments - and get a really big improvement!

I'd really like to know why this theory only works with data (which happens to represent music).

Why doesn't optimising the network impact on other data (that doesn't represent music)?

I really wish it would work on my banking......you know - optimise my network and see "INCREDIBLE UPLIFTS" in my bank balance !!
Gosh Amey01,
You’re really not up to speed with this stuff. You want to improve the sound quality of your hi-fi? Upgrade your digital streaming network with better power supplies, cables and components

You want to upgrade your bank balance? Simply stream some Bitcoin blockchain references into a digital wallet.

Reactions: JimmyS

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Why - so you can again say that "your hi-fi components would have to be pretty flawed if they didn't isolate from this"? We didn't get off track as it's all related to why cables can have an audible impact. But since you have seemed inclined only to want to debunk, it's fair to suggest that you have been trolling.
Please don't call names.
I haven't yet called you a name - I criticized your actions, not you.

amey01

Mar 3, 2015
Queensland, Australia
Why - so you can again say that "your hi-fi components would have to be pretty flawed if they didn't isolate from this"?

I acknowledged that - I said "True...." But that related to removal of cable - not to how an ethernet cable could change the sound of a system. So over to you.

And I acknowledge again - it can "act like an antenna" - grounding issues are real. I'm sure we've all experienced them in our systems. But unless you totally isolate your system by battery, you still have a copper connection between computer and audio system (through the power grid)! So you never remove this antenna effect. All the grounds are interconnected, ethernet cable or not.

Anyway - I'm going to bow out now.......I think we've made our points and it's up to each to decide. I think we've all got pretty good sounding systems - that much for sure. (my only remaining postulation is how much better your system could sound if you spent the money on "real" upgrades rather than ethernet cables.........but your system, your choices).

Last edited:

amey01

Mar 3, 2015
Queensland, Australia
Since they both end up the same, I would take the bumpy ride, as I like to feel the Road.
The money saved from buying the new heavy padded expensive car would go to buying something to make my music sound, Better..

Nice use of sophistry, but it just doesn't relate.

Seriously - the engineers who design this stuff aren't stupid. I'm really interested.......what makes you think that the systems and protocols designed to keep planes in the air, run the world's financial systems, keep water pumping and electricity on, manage life support systems in hospitals, etc are not adequate for you to listen to your little music collection? I am truly flummoxed.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing