What ethernet cables are members using?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
And to bring the thread back on topic.
I use an FTA Metis ethernet cable for the last two meters to the server and I like what I hear so far.
Will do some more listening and comparing and maybe swapping the Metis going into the ethernet-in of my Pacific DAC.

Reactions: Golum and Mikem53

Hydrology

Sep 14, 2020
That's exactly my point - you're making it for me.

Networks deal every day with petabytes of data, much of which is far more important than music.

Maybe it'd be best if you think about what makes data (which happens to represent music) different to any other data.

It is conceivable that an ethernet cable could affect sound quality. But if it were the case then the architecture would have to be flawed. And when we're talking about the very same systems/protocols that are used for health records, air traffic control, stock market operations, power grid operation, etc.....that's a scenario which is just not negotiable.
Let me reply with something you might understand - “LOL”

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
After exploring several brands of LAN cables, I finally found a brand that sounds terrific and doesn’t cost a fortune. I’m currently using a loom of Triode Wire “Freedom” cables.

https://www.triodewirelabs.com/product/freedom-ethernet-cable/

The descriptor that first comes to mind is “natural” sounding. (DDK’s favorite word!). And natural they are. One can listen for hours and not think about the sound characteristics of the cable, but instead focus on the music. My “loom” consists of a 2m run from the wall jack to the Apple Extreme Router (house is wired with Belden Cat6); a 3m run from the Western Digital NAS drive to the Router, and an 8m run from the Router to the Innuos. Honestly, I know nothing about ethernet cable and don’t really want to know. But the TW Freedom cables are keepers for now. And reasonably priced to boot. All 3 cables were about 1K. They were delivered promptly and appear to be beautifully made.

I can’t help but wonder if, just like signal and power cables, the sound of ethernet cables is in part due to the wire, and in part due to the terminations. I’ve noticed that like many other high quality ethernet cables, the TriWire cables use German RJ45 connectors from Telegaertner.

https://www.telegaertner.com/en/info/highlights/mfp8/straight-version/

My guess is that they contribute to the cable’s excellent sound, but as to how much, I really have no idea.
I just order this cable for a 30-day trial. I'll compare it to the 4 other Ethernet cables that I have on hand once I run it in for a few days.

Reactions: audiobomber

Gene 15352

Feb 18, 2013
Canada

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I just order this cable for a 30-day trial. I'll compare it to the 4 other Ethernet cables that I have on hand once I run it in for a few days.
Hope you like your trial. What's nice is that I've upgraded gear since my Triode post and they appear to shine even more. Went from Innuous to Taiko server plus a switch. Their Freedom LANs are still with me as the new associated gear has allowed even more sonic satisfaction with my Freedom cables.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Hope you like your trial. What's nice is that I've upgraded gear since my Triode post and they appear to shine even more. Went from Innuous to Taiko server plus a switch. Their Freedom LANs are still with me as the new associated gear has allowed even more sonic satisfaction with my Freedom cables.
The cable is shipping today and scheduled to be here tomorrow. Did you find that the cable changed a lot as it broke in? I'm just wondering how much stock I should put into what I hear on Day 1. I know that some of the other cables that I have changed a lot over the first 250 hours while one of them hardly changed at all.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
After 4 days of burn-in I can say that I really like this cable. It was impressive right from day one and it's even better now. It's very natural sounding and doesn't hype any part of the frequency range.

Last edited:

Re-tread

Mar 8, 2020
After 4 days of burn-in I can say that I really like this cable. It was impressive right from day one and it's even better now. It's very natural sounding and doesn't hype any part of the frequency range.
Greetings Exlibris, how is your new TWL Freedom Ethernet cable sounding in your system? What are the SQ contrasts/differences from your (I believe) previous Sablon ethernet cable you mentioned in post #226 of this thread?

Re-tread

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Greetings Exlibris, how is your new TWL Freedom Ethernet cable sounding in your system? What are the SQ contrasts/differences from your (I believe) previous Sablon ethernet cable you mentioned in post #226 of this thread?

Re-tread
The TWL cable sounds very natural in that it doesn't hype anything. It's one of those cables where I say "ya, this sounds right" and I don't think anymore about looking for something different. With the Sablon in both my system and a friend's system we both found it to be slightly hyping the upper midrange/lower treble. I like it when a cable doesn't call attention to itself and (for me; in my system) the TWL is very good in this regard.
I have a Network Acoustics ENO filter on order and the package comes with their Ethernet cable. I'll compare that with the TWL.
I'm not pretending that the TWL is the last word in cables, just like my modest Mogami cables aren't the last word, but these cables simply let me forget about cables.

Re-tread

Mar 8, 2020
The TWL cable sounds very natural in that it doesn't hype anything. It's one of those cables where I say "ya, this sounds right" and I don't think anymore about looking for something different. With the Sablon in both my system and a friend's system we both found it to be slightly hyping the upper midrange/lower treble. I like it when a cable doesn't call attention to itself and (for me; in my system) the TWL is very good in this regard.
Greetings Exlibris,

Thanks for your report. Interesting results. I, too, like it when a cable doesn't call attention to itself. That is where my Echole cabling really excels. I think this is ultimately the goal of all our pursuits - employ a device (passive or active) that performs so well at its task that we can retire it from our concern list.

I have a Network Acoustics ENO filter on order and the package comes with their Ethernet cable. I'll compare that with the TWL.
I'm not pretending that the TWL is the last word in cables, just like my modest Mogami cables aren't the last word, but these cables simply let me forget about cables.
There is a lot of buzz around the ENO filter right now. Did you go for the Cu or the Ag? Do you have any other network devices employed, or, will the ENO be the first?

Re-tread

Reactions: Felipe Rolim

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Greetings Exlibris,

Thanks for your report. Interesting results. I, too, like it when a cable doesn't call attention to itself. That is where my Echole cabling really excels. I think this is ultimately the goal of all our pursuits - employ a device (passive or active) that performs so well at its task that we can retire it from our concern list.

There is a lot of buzz around the ENO filter right now. Did you go for the Cu or the Ag? Do you have any other network devices employed, or, will the ENO be the first?

Re-tread
I went for the Ag. They have a package deal where you can order the ENO Network Filter Ag and an ENO Streaming Cable Ag for less than the cost of buying the two items separately.
I don't have any other network devices employed so the ENO will be the first. Unfortunately (or fortunately) I placed an order for the EtherREGEN prior to even hearing about the ENO Filter so I will soon have both of these network devices.

Reactions: Re-tread

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Unfortunately (or fortunately) I placed an order for the EtherREGEN prior to even hearing about the ENO Filter so I will soon have both of these network devices.
Please report about your findings, when you can

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Please report about your findings, when you can
Will do.
The ENO filter and cable should arrive Wednesday and the manufacturer says that though both should sound good out of the box, they do recommend 100-150hrs burn in for the cable and filter to reach optimum performance.
I don't have a definitive date on when the EtherREGEN will arrive.

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
Will do.
The ENO filter and cable should arrive Wednesday and the manufacturer says that though both should sound good out of the box, they do recommend 100-150hrs burn in for the cable and filter to reach optimum performance.
I don't have a definitive date on when the EtherREGEN will arrive.
Curious what has been your experience so far?

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Curious what has been your experience so far?
I like to make just one change at a time so instead of putting the ENO filter and the cable in, I just put in the cable.
The cable is the best I've heard in my system. It is very natural and brings my digital closer to my analogue than ever before. On some vocal recordings I really get the sense that I'm hearing the mic feed.
It's also very authoritative and strongly plants images in my room and projects their sound to me. -all this without any aggression; it's very relaxed and has nice musical flow.
I'll put the ENO in on Tuesday I think.

Last edited:

Re-tread

Mar 8, 2020
Greetings @Exlibris,

Interesting report from your initial feedback on the ENO Ag eNet cable. Thank you! Were you able to insert the ENO Ag Filter into your flow yet? When convenient, any feedback on the Filter installation yet?

Re-tread

Last edited:

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Greetings @Exlibris,

Interesting report from your initial feedback on the ENO Ag eNet cable. Thank you! Were you able to insert the ENO Ag Filter into your flow yet? When convenient, any feedback on the Filter installation yet?

Re-tread
Yes, I've had it in for about 50 hours and things are still changing. What I can say for now is that I love what I'm hearing. At first, the word that came to mind was "articulation." I'd never heard some of these recording sound as 'clean' and undistorted as they were now being presented. I'll say more a day or two.

Reactions: Re-tread

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Yes, I've had it in for about 50 hours and things are still changing. What I can say for now is that I love what I'm hearing. At first, the word that came to mind was "articulation." I'd never heard some of these recording sound as 'clean' and undistorted as they were now being presented. I'll say more a day or two.
The EVO filter and cable are wonderful products. At the advice of the manufacturer I added a D-Link DGS105 -- with my preferred linear power supply (between the router and the EVO). It's a fantastic upgrade. The addition was similar to what I heard when I put in the EVO and the Network Acoustics cable: everything is much more tangible, strong, full-bodied, and grounded. I can also hear deeper into the mix for more musical information. In addition, everything is more musical in terms of flow and emotion.

I have the EtherREGEN here as well but I like to enjoy a change for a couple of weeks before doing any comparisons or other changes.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing