What features of Roon are worth the price? Compensate for Roon’s poorer sound quality?

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
I have 1.8 build 795. Roon recently updated.

When music is listed by artist or album Roon will show an icon if there is a version in my library or Tidal. I can choose either to view and play either. I don't need to add Tidal versions to my library to play. There is a drop down arrow next to play next that lets me choose play now. I verified this with the signal path button.

Duckworp

Oct 14, 2018
I have 1.8 build 795. Roon recently updated.

When music is listed by artist or album Roon will show an icon if there is a version in my library or Tidal. I can choose either to view and play either. I don't need to add Tidal versions to my library to play. There is a drop down arrow next to play next that lets me choose play now. I verified this with the signal path button.
If you go into an artist you will be in the 'overview' page. This only has albums in your library. So if you play an album from this and the only library version is your ripped CD it will play the rip. If you choose the 'discography' page you see all albums which then each have a Tidal and/or the library icon if it is in your library. If you choose an album that has both versions it will default to play your library version. If you have more than one version in your library it will play the one labeled 'Primary version'. You have to tell Roon which one is the 'Primary version' as it will default to use the first one that appeared in your library, and that may be the Tidal version. This would be the only explanation as to why Roon is playing a Tidal version rather than a rip.

Daverich4

May 8, 2020
I have to ask what version of Roon you are running. Everything I googled about this says that when Roon did their recent total renovation update, you no longer get a choice. If it's there, I haven't found it. I'll go back to the mine.

Phil
V1.8 - latest build

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing