What is your ambient room spl level?

timztunz

Apr 23, 2018
Texas

LenWhite

Feb 11, 2011
Florida
systems.audiogon.com
With stereo equipment on with sound paused and A/C off, the sound meter fluctuates between 20-21dB.

Acoustic Frontiers designed my media room acoustics and provided optimum inside wall dimensions. The finished windowless room dimensions are 19'-6"L x 15'-3"W x 11'H.

The media room acoustic "foundation" consists of an isolated wall system comprised of Kinetics IsoMax clips attached to 1-1/2" furring strips nailed to CBS blocks on all four walls. A hat channel is supported by the isolation clips. R-11 open faced fiberglass (3-1/2" thickness) fills the empty areas between the CBS walls and drywall. Soundboard XP damped drywall is attached to the side wall hat channels and ceiling joists. Acoustic sealant seals the areas between the top, bottom, corner areas of the damped drywall.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200314-173129.png
    Screenshot_20200314-173129.png
    810.2 KB · Views: 4
Reactions: marslo and kodomo

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Has anyone's posted measurements been taken with a proper professional DB Meter or just a mobile phone App?

I'm sure their must be awareness of the measurement limitations those mobile phone mics have. Not saying some of the numbers posted aren't possible but I wouldn't bet the ranch on the information its showing me. Especially when measuring in the other direction (ie..Max vs Min Loudness).

Those nice Reed Pro type meters aren't too horribly priced and worth every penny when taking room measurements like this and especially for creating DSP/Correction filters....etc.

Reactions: MTB Vince

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
Has anyone's posted measurements been taken with a proper professional DB Meter or just a mobile phone App?

I'm sure their must be awareness of the measurement limitations those mobile phone mics have. Not saying some of the numbers posted aren't possible but I wouldn't bet the ranch on the information its showing me. Especially when measuring in the other direction (ie..Max vs Min Loudness).

Those nice Reed Pro type meters aren't too horribly priced and worth every penny when taking room measurements like this and especially for creating DSP/Correction filters....etc.
Exactly as @cjf eludes. In my purpose-built very quiet dedicated room there is a non-trivial variance between the noise floor measurement I achieve with my Reed R8050 SPL meter and with my wife's Iphone running a popular sound measurement APP. The Reed SPL meter reading is 34.8dBa while the Iphone App indicates 28dBa. Measurements taken with my Cross Spectrum Labs calibated EMM6 microphone and my Macbook running Room EQ Wizard confirm the accuracy of the Reed SPL meter. My research suggests that unless you add a suitable high quality calibrated outboard microphone to your smartphone measurement app, noise floor measurements in quiet spaces will be overly optimistic and inaccurate. Furthermore, SPL meters capable of accurate noise floor measurements below 30dBa tend to be very expensive- $1000+

With the room's dedicated ERV air exchanger switched on, the Reed meter still measures below 35.0 dBa. The room's dedicated Mitsubishi mini-split HVAC unit is unneeded for music playback except for the warmest months of Summer or when the projector has been switched on for multi-hour, multi-movie marathons. When needed, the Mitsubishi HVAC is exclusively operated at it's lowest 19dBa setting where it increases the noise floor a modest 1.5dB.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I just measured:

A weighting - 28 db
C weighting - 38 db

-- with air-conditioning zones off and kitchen wine refrigerator and living room wine refrigerator unplugged.

I am still hearing low frequency motor noise which I think is coming from the pool equipment area which is below the deck, and which powers the pool which is just outside of the listening room.

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
I just measured:

A weighting - 28 db
C weighting - 38 db

-- with air-conditioning zones off and kitchen wine refrigerator and living room wine refrigerator unplugged.

I am still hearing low frequency motor noise which I think is coming from the pool equipment area which is below the deck, and which powers the pool which is just outside of the listening room.
Measured with a cell phone app, a decent SPL meter (a Reed for example), or a calibrated measurement mic and a laptop running REW Ron? If this was with a cell phone app, you can figure on the actual numbers being at least 5db higher.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Measured with a cell phone app, a decent SPL meter (a Reed for example), or a calibrated measurement mic and a laptop running REW Ron? If this was with a cell phone app, you can figure on the actual numbers being at least 5db higher.

cell phone app

My old Radio Shack SPL meter does not register with soft sounds.

5dB higher? Eeeesh!

What dedicated, handheld SPL meter do you recommend?

MTB Vince

May 11, 2019
Dundas, ON Canada
cell phone app

My old Radio Shack SPL meter does not register with soft sounds.

5dB higher? Eeeesh!

What dedicated, handheld SPL meter do you recommend?

I bought a REED Instruments R8050 Sound Level Meter on Amazon last year to replace my Radio Shack meter for the same reason. It's not very expensive but is accurate down to 30dB Ron. Measurements taken with the Reed meter agree with those taken with the calibrated mic I use with my laptop and REW. In my case my wife's Iphone running a measurement app was recording noise floor SPL numbers almost 7dB lower than did the Reed and the REW rig.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

I bought a REED Instruments R8050 Sound Level Meter on Amazon last year to replace my Radio Shack meter for the same reason. It's not very expensive but is accurate down to 30dB Ron. Measurements taken with the Reed meter agree with those taken with the calibrated mic I use with my laptop and REW. In my case my wife's Iphone running a measurement app was recording noise floor SPL numbers almost 7dB lower than did the Reed and the REW rig.

That looks like a good meter. Thank you!

Is the NIST-certified version of the R8050 worth paying up for?

Should one get the calibrator kit with the meter? Or is the meter properly calibrated out-of-the-box?

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I average around 40-45....with an HVAC unit right outside my listening area. It varies (of course) between nighttime and daytime but on average? It's acceptable.

Obviously better at night for those late night listening sessions while the family is asleep. You can hear much more low level detail.

With that said, I do not recall ever trying the SPL with the HVAC off.

Tom

Reactions: Ron Resnick

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
HVAC off, average is 36Db. This, off of a Db app on my phone. No weighting.

Tom

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
I average around 40-45....with an HVAC unit right outside my listening area. It varies (of course) between nighttime and daytime but on average? It's acceptable.

Obviously better at night for those late night listening sessions while the family is asleep. You can hear much more low level detail.

Tom
Agree I try to listen as much as possible at night as I find it sounds better.don’t know the noise of my room but I think it would be very quiet as it’s at the back of the house away from roads and noise.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
When using my iPhone app, the room was just about 30db with no equipment on but curtains open etc.
With a decibel meter (nothing too expensive from Amazon) it measures just below 35db using the same parameters
Sounds pretty quiet to me

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Tom

Turn that HVAC off!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I figured out that what I thought was noise from my pool pump just outside the listening room actually is the hot water heater in the garage above the listening room. When I turn off the hot water heater the iPhone SPL app on C weighting drops to 26dB.

The noise reading would be lower if the listening room were not right next to the kitchen, from which I am hearing motor noise from the refrigerator or the freezer or both. When their compressors go off and I turn off the hot water heater I will take another reading.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
I've always known our main room to be very quiet, the benefits of living out of the city! System is all on at the moment inc simple pc server with fans (but these never actually kick in)

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I've always known our main room to be very quiet, the benefits of living out of the city! System is all on at the moment inc simple pc server with fans (but these never actually kick in)

Excellent!

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Is that reading on an app or with an SPL meter?
I found the app to be about +5db incorrect, but that is a really quiet room regardless.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I really wish my listening room was not right next to the kitchen.

I guess it wouldn't be very practical to re-locate the refrigerator and freezer into the living room?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
A weighting - 30 db
C weighting - 33 db

Amazing how some rooms are reading in the 20s and below, outstanding!

Reactions: Ron Resnick

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing