? What Jazz Music Selection are you Listening to in the Now? | Analog, Digital ??????

Melody Gardot - My One and Only Thrill

1720207689854.jpeg

Skinny Hightower - Mind Over Matter
1720269298813.jpeg

Joe McBride - Lookin' For A Change

I'm listening this afternoon to the Octave Records "Erroll Garner - Liberation in Swing" box set, which contains the 3 LPs of his 1959 Symphony Hall concert, plus other goodies:

There's also a deluxe version of the set, twice as expensive.

The sound quality is really good. The set contains essays and liner notes, some of Garner's artwork, and pictures, like this one, for example (Meade Lux Lewis, Art Tatum, Pete Johnson, Garner):

PXL_20240707_162202130.jpg

The music is great. If you are a Garner fan, it's a nice purchase.

And here it is playing in my living room (on a single speaker, I'm in the process of rewiring the other):

Sound quality through a phone is not optimal - you can find a shorter version of the concert on streaming services.

The recording is in mono, but I'm using my stereo cartridge, as mono records stopped being made with mono cutting heads around 1968...

Last edited:
Just received the latest Mosaic compilation box set of Bobby Hutcherson’s Blue Note recordings. As always from Mosaic, the digital remastering of these analog recordings is top notch. Of equal importance is the beautiful full size booklet of liner notes with classic black and white photographs of the performers. Brilliant package over all that will be on my playlist for years to come.

View attachment 133226

Just got my shipment notification :)

Mosaic records states: "The sonic clarity is thrilling. Mastered from hi-res files of the original analog masters by Andreas Meyer. Thanks to current 24 bit/192 hKz technology and dramatic improvement in analog to digital converters, the sound on this set is far superior to any previous CD issues and is astonishingly close to that of audiophile vinyl."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing