? What Jazz Music Selection are you Listening to in the Now? | Analog, Digital ??????

Bandcamp is where it's at! (also sounds better than Tidal/Qobuz

How do you know that ("sound better") since generally the albums available on Bandcamp are not available on other streaming services? Have you compared those that are? Which ones?

P.S. Here's one I bought on Bandcamp which is also available on Qobuz. I don't hear any differences between the two:

Do you?

Last edited:
Listening to the lovely series of live recordings that Paul Desmond made 50 years ago in Toronto on Mosaic records. Desmond’s playing was once famously described as smooth as a dry Martini. That’s exactly what this lovely limited edition CD box set sounds like.

IMG_6270.jpeg

Reactions: Audiofreak71
Listening to the lovely series of live recordings that Paul Desmond made 50 years ago in Toronto on Mosaic records. Desmond’s playing was once famously described as smooth as a dry Martini. That’s exactly what this lovely limited edition CD box set sounds like.

View attachment 131995
Wait, what! You're recommending digital??

Hey, I have over 5000 CDs and SACDs in my house bought over a 40-year period! Even though vinyl still sounds superior to my ears (and live music blows away any recording I have ever heard on any system), that doesn’t imply I can’t enjoy digital. I do. Heck, I grew up listening to music on a shortwave radio! If you can enjoy music on a shortwave radio with all that AM radio interference, you can tolerate anything! In my life, I’ve listened to cassette tape, 8-track tape, open reel, VCR tape, and a gazillion other formats. As always, music comes first. In this case, I don’t have the vinyl release. A lot of Mosaic vinyl is unobtanium.

Reactions: hopkins
Hey, I have over 5000 CDs and SACDs in my house bought over a 40-year period! Even though vinyl still sounds superior to my ears (and live music blows away any recording I have ever heard on any system), that doesn’t imply I can’t enjoy digital. I do. Heck, I grew up listening to music on a shortwave radio! If you can enjoy music on a shortwave radio with all that AM radio interference, you can tolerate anything! In my life, I’ve listened to cassette tape, 8-track tape, open reel, VCR tape, and a gazillion other formats. As always, music comes first. In this case, I don’t have the vinyl release. A lot of Mosaic vinyl is unobtanium.
Sure, I'm only pulling your leg.

Mosaic record's CD releases usually sound very good (given the source material they have to work with). Quality liner notes and photography, alternate takes, unissued tracks - what's not to like?

Here's a nice piece by Whitney Balliett on Paul Desmond, in case you have not read it:

If you are interested in Jazz, and eager to get recommendations, Marc Myers had a daily newsletter you can subscribe to.

Yesterday's was on Ben Webster - can't go wrong here - but he sometimes writes about lesser known artists that are worth listening to.

A nice feature is that he always includes links to the music (on YouTube) so you can easily listen to what he writes about.

Streaming WWOZ New Orleans as I do every day in my office, when I am in the office.

Anyone got this album? Sounds so much better than the version released by Capitol Records on streaming:

Thanks for the heads up.
Here is a topic on the Steve Hoffman forum about this release: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/nat-king-cole-at-the-sands-the-complete-lost-concert.324332/

Listening to the two versions (complete vs original release) on my headphones, the sound is good, but very different, and I am not sure I prefer this "complete" version. The sound is a little warmer in the Capitol Records version but probably has more resolution in this version. The voice is more forward in the mix of this "complete" version (and it seems there is more reverb in the Capitol version). Difficult to pinpoint the differences. I'll check on my speakers at some point. Regardless, the two versions are enjoyable. The addition of the rehearsal tracks on that CD are interesting. The album is available on Qobuz, for those interested: https://open.qobuz.com/album/jfgw0xuoqrayc

Last edited:
1718760297941.png
One of my favs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing