Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Cables

• Power

• Total voters

b345t

May 10, 2020
Maybe I'm backwards. The biggest single change in my system was the ROOM. It had very little to do with equipment either.

That room and the way the equipment and subs are NOT decoupled would make make a huge difference. I don't see any changes in gear needed at ALL. Just the room being tuned. Save your money.. Helmholtz adjustable traps. Two more subs and move the subs away from the gear.
ADD Air bags, pods or springs for the racks, main speakers and of course the subs..

Cost 2-3k, improvement 50+ % in what I see alone. Gear swaps would be sideways at best.. Same with speakers. Tune with the traps, add a floor to ceiling drape on the huge reflective glass (left) and decouple. No spikes or any of that mess they don't work in every direction.. That is a problem, it adds a timing issue for the lower octave from the sub speakers and room vs the floor. The floors response is quicker than the room response. (smear). If you have bottom firing subs, do yourself a favor and look for anything but that, unless they are slot loaded with a butt plate and can be decoupled..

Regards
Thanks for the tips, I do have 4 isoacoustic orea under each sub. I have 6 soffit bass traps from gik acoutiscs, two with the membrane for even lower frequency absorbers, 6 monster bass trap panels (on the wall above and right behind me) along with 6 of those art diffusion/absorbing square panels. I'm sure adding isolation to the rack would help, but to be honest, I do not consider int my priority at this point. The glass is obviously a problem, I have a thick curtain I close when listening and that helps quite a bit, but not ideal. This is a living room after all and will need to remain so.

I am thinking about testing something else right behind the listening position, maybe the thick bass traps are too much? On the other hand, diffusion so close to the listening position is generally regarded as a mistake and needs to have a minimum distance of clearance.

oldhvymec

VIP/Donor
Mar 25, 2022
If I was adding anything it would be because I was tuning the room, the same with removing. I might suggest some good seated position reading from 300hz and down first. Just like any build, from the ground up, not the roof down. Get 300hz < dialed in the rest will be easy. I'm not one for a studio look at all, BUT I always start with the room first and go from there. To me there is nothing worse than a dead room, the same goes for ricochet biscuit with zero dampening.

I use 3 pairs and then fine tune with passive wall resonators/curtains and a few smaller resonator when I use a TT. I can usually get away without a rumble filter if I make sure the air bladders are at 5 psi on the bass bins. Vibration control is a game changer add mechanical room correction. REWs job is pretty easy..

I don't use DSP but I do use correction from 100-300. I use 8" drivers in LS columns. I also use 2-4 of GRs 12" double OB servos 100hz and below. (servo DBA).

For me I've never heard better. I'm picky too. The Helmholtz approach has proven to me to be the best even before vibration control.

BTW Right behind you diffuse first don't dampen.. A pair of nice cannabis trees would work. :)

Have fun ay...

Regards.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Thanks for the tips, I do have 4 isoacoustic orea under each sub. I have 6 soffit bass traps from gik acoutiscs, two with the membrane for even lower frequency absorbers, 6 monster bass trap panels (on the wall above and right behind me) along with 6 of those art diffusion/absorbing square panels. I'm sure adding isolation to the rack would help, but to be honest, I do not consider int my priority at this point. The glass is obviously a problem, I have a thick curtain I close when listening and that helps quite a bit, but not ideal. This is a living room after all and will need to remain so.

I am thinking about testing something else right behind the listening position, maybe the thick bass traps are too much? On the other hand, diffusion so close to the listening position is generally regarded as a mistake and needs to have a minimum distance of clearance.
So, how it's going? Any updates?

b345t

May 10, 2020
So, how it's going? Any updates?
Still haven't pulled the trigger on a major component, got some power cables I'm trying soon and waiting for a Furutech etp609NCF to upgrade from my e-tp80e (non ncf). I've gotten some good offers on some speakers, Magico A5 and Audio Solutions Virtuoso M. Anyone have experience with either? Edit- And an MSB Premier dac but its expensive, even at the ex-display price..

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
I have only heard an older Focal evo speaker, so not much help; however, their sound was very smooth, very musical, FWIW.

The A5s are detail monsters, IMO. Very fast with excellent imaging and soundstage. I personally do not find their detailed sound to be abrasive or etched. I find them very musical, albeit not as "warm" as the older Focals I heard.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
How would you compare it to the Focal Sopra if you have any experience?
I like the Magico better, it's smoother and more coherent.
After Focal Ended their Electra series it was not the same for me. But it can pair nicely if you have a darker amplification.
In this price range, I would look at Serblin Ktema too.

b345t

May 10, 2020
I like the Magico better, it's smoother and more coherent.
After Focal Ended their Electra series it was not the same for me. But it can pair nicely if you have a darker amplification.
In this price range, I would look at Serblin Ktema too.
Interesting, I have never seen those. Which Magico do you consider good? Have you heard the A5 or higher end models? Edit: Also I can get decent deals on Rockport speakers and YG acoustics.. I heard the YG Carmel 2 and can't say I was very impressed..

Last edited:

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Interesting, I have never seen those. Which Magico do you consider good? Have you heard the A5 or higher end models? Edit: Also I can get decent deals on Rockport speakers and YG acoustics.. I heard the YG Carmel 2 and can't say I was very impressed..
I was thinking about Magico A5, as was mentioned in a question. I've had some experience with Rockport Atria. Very wide and deep sound stage, clean presentation and amazing bass. It is kind of similar sound to Magico, so it's really up to preference and details. With some hi-end brands, I can see it's mostly down to pairing with your current equipment. I would ask the dealer to do an audition at your place. Of course, you will have to pay for transport and service, but it's gonna be nothing compared to the price of the speakers anyway, but will help you tremendously.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing