What SPECIFICALLY is better or different about the Wadax Design? How do these design choices manifest in better sound?

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
and when did Emile write that? in the last 6 months to a year? he might have written it yesterday.

It’s on the Taiko website now. Go to their FAQ page and see for yourself.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
and when did Emile write that? in the last 6 months to a year? he might have written it yesterday.

Last edited:

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I would post my HQPLAYER experience and settings, but I don’t have a problem with them, on the contrary I couldn’t be happier.

In my interest to figure out why HQPlayer isn’t working out for you, I found a few things that caught my attention:

"Aqua Acoustic quality's Formula xHD processor sounded as smooth and warm and enjoyable as Jason and Mr. O suggested, but I don't regard it as a pleasure machine, nor do I see it as a cure for systems that sound too bright. In my system, the Formula xHD was simply too opaque for a perfectionist DAC at any price. My head is shaking in disbelief." -- Herb Reichert

xHD upsampling to Quad DSD: I know many folks swear by DSD files (and true native DSD recordings) and I'm now a believer. Playing DSD upsampled to Quad DSD is other worldly good. The amount of information is staggering, the sound stage layering in depth and width is another level better and again, the realism is better than I expected my speakers could articulate.” - by YOU

“This is a processor without a reconstruction filter so you see that the DAC's sample-and-hold output creates a neat staircase waveform.” - John Atkinson
Technical Editor, Stereophile

“Terminator sound quality is much better than Formula xHD” - Butifull01

And finally we start getting some helpful insight on the issue:

“I am just curious how DSD is being processed inside the Formula xHD.
If i understand correctly the R2R DAC architecture accepts PCM only.
So with PCM upsampling to Quad DSD there seem to be two conversions:
From PCM to DSD by HQplayer and from DSD to PCM by the Formula.
Does this double conversion makes sense?” - Mathis

“I believe you are correct, the Formula is not native DSD, it converts from PCM to DSD. IM more recent experience the Formula sounds best fed PCM via HQPlayer up-sampled / converted to PCM”. - by YOU

My thoughts:

I think that the PCM to DSD conversion inside your Formula xHD dac to feed its R2R converter, is undoing the benefits of HQPLAYER. It is best to send PCM only to your Formula xHD dac.

Secondly, you are not realizing the full extend of HQPLAYER if the dac is not extended in its high frequency reproduction and lacks a proper reconstruction filter.

With HQPLAYER, I have had the most success with chipless DSD-Only dacs, I own 4 of them, that will convert native x48KHz based DSD512 and that is the best with HQPLAYER at this time, until servers can have the processing power and speed for HQPLAYER‘s most demanding filters and modulators, at DSD1024.

My recommendation for you is to try a new dac. I strongly suggest a discrete, chipless, DSD-Only dac that can convert native x48KHz based DSD256, DSD512 or DSD1024, for best results with HQPLAYER.

This may not be what you wanted to hear but hopefully it helps. When you realize the full potential of HQPLAYER, you will be in for a treat.
You're mistaken to think I have a "problem" with HQPlayer, I love the sound it provides with my digital setup including the Aqua LinQ and Formula xHD DAC, I haven't found anything better yet. Also, I find it comical how you pick the negative reviews of the Aqua while omitting the positive. You must be fun a parties. :)

As a simple data point a few folks who own / owned the Formula DAC include Mike L. and Emile from Taiko.

Thanks for the conversation, entertaining.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I use HQ Player, but I don't use the filters. My server is based more on keep it quiet. HQ player is intense processing. That creates its own noise that has to be mitigated. A 24/192 or 24/96, or just native PCM 44.1 sounds very good when you leave it alone. I bet a bunch of filters in the right server make a "enhanced" sound that the listener may or may not like.

We all talk to people. We all hear how people go through phases. Did this for a while, then that. Its how we learn what we like. Someone can talk over you all day, but until you hear it, you just don't know.

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
DSP means modify recording. Doing it on the server doesn't make any sense. What do you change and why? HQ Player only makes one thing: change format. From an origin to a destination, in an adjustable way.
And why do you want to convert from one format to another? The settings are basically the attenuation slopes of the anti-alias filters, the noise-shaping curves, etc. This task only needs to be performed within a DAC. And the parameters must be adjusted for a specific DAC, depending on the chip it uses and many other elements that only the DAC manufacturer knows.
And there is only one optimal fit that is determined analytically during the DAC design process.
Therefore, modifying the audio file may have some of the fun for the user, but it is really analogous to inserting a digital equalizer between the server and the DAC hoping to fine tune the sound. Wadax approach is different: integrity and maximum likelihood with respect to the original.
Wadax apply feedforward to the input signal, modifying the content. This modification is done in such a way that it compensates for the non-linearities of the DAC, the rear analog section and the output stage. That is, knowing the transfer function they can determine the error introduced and make a compensation so that the error is cancelled.
In other words, modifying makes sense if it is done for a known purpose, but never as a series of controls to play by trial and error, which will never get what is required.
So Wadax knowledge in Dac and Server lets them control the signal errors in a different and better way.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Seriously guys, please address the title of the thread. Some people may be put off by the price, sure, but many people who are passionate about the hobby are wadax agnostic. This is a tough business, a winner take-all market. Only way to success is to differentiate one self. Here's the opportunity.

And regarding comments about marketing, everyone is a marketer in today's world. Everyone is trying to influence someone. Everyone is pushing their taste. Basic influence principles working. Check out the book by Cialdini.
so then why do you castigate one and not all of them.? What one does they all do so either pick on all or none.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
DSP means modify recording. Doing it on the server doesn't make any sense. What do you change and why? HQ Player only makes one thing: change format. From an origin to a destination, in an adjustable way.
And why do you want to convert from one format to another? The settings are basically the attenuation slopes of the anti-alias filters, the noise-shaping curves, etc. This task only needs to be performed within a DAC. And the parameters must be adjusted for a specific DAC, depending on the chip it uses and many other elements that only the DAC manufacturer knows.
And there is only one optimal fit that is determined analytically during the DAC design process.
Therefore, modifying the audio file may have some of the fun for the user, but it is really analogous to inserting a digital equalizer between the server and the DAC hoping to fine tune the sound. Wadax approach is different: integrity and maximum likelihood with respect to the original.
Wadax apply feedforward to the input signal, modifying the content. This modification is done in such a way that it compensates for the non-linearities of the DAC, the rear analog section and the output stage. That is, knowing the transfer function they can determine the error introduced and make a compensation so that the error is cancelled.
In other words, modifying makes sense if it is done for a known purpose, but never as a series of controls to play by trial and error, which will never get what is required.
So Wadax knowledge in Dac and Server lets them control the signal errors in a different and better way.

I guess that you missed the following details on the Wadax Reference DAC’s design:

“The chip also upsamples the input signal to 352kHz or 384kHz, depending on the frequency of the input signal.”

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
I guess that you missed the following details on the Wadax Reference DAC’s design:

“The chip also upsamples the input signal to 352kHz or 384kHz, depending on the frequency of the input signal.”
No i don’t. I was waiting your answer.
You are right but reason isn’t what you are thinking about, because feedforward process increases the temporal precision when the polling frequency is higher and turn in an integer multiple of the original track.
It is a process that only brings advantages if you know how to do it well. There are many design criteria to meet for this to be all up and no downside. These criteria are critical and upsampling and preserving the NATIVE format is not a contradiction but rather complementary. What must be maintained is bit perfect during the first stages of decoding, (MQA is not decodable if it is not bit perfect). Also, time bases cannot be crossed, which means that the scaling multiples must be integer multiples.
So, once again, Wadax knowledge in Dac and Server lets them control the signal errors in a different and better way. :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike Lavigne

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I use HQ Player, but I don't use the filters. My server is based more on keep it quiet. HQ player is intense processing. That creates its own noise that has to be mitigated. A 24/192 or 24/96, or just native PCM 44.1 sounds very good when you leave it alone. I bet a bunch of filters in the right server make a "enhanced" sound that the listener may or may not like.

We all talk to people. We all hear how people go through phases. Did this for a while, then that. Its how we learn what we like. Someone can talk over you all day, but until you hear it, you just don't know.
What he said. :)

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
You're mistaken to think I have a "problem" with HQPlayer, I love the sound it provides with my digital setup including the Aqua LinQ and Formula xHD DAC, I haven't found anything better yet. Also, I find it comical how you pick the negative reviews of the Aqua while omitting the positive. You must be fun a parties. :)

As a simple data point a few folks who own / owned the Formula DAC include Mike L. and Emile from Taiko.

Thanks for the conversation, entertaining.

Please reconcile your two statements below:

“I've been using HQPlayer for years and to me in my system no filters, modulators or upsampling sounds the best”

“You're mistaken to think I have a "problem" with HQPlayer, I love the sound it provides with my digital setup including the Aqua LinQ and Formula xHD DAC, I haven't found anything better yet”

Jussi has stated that even in “pass-though” or “bypass” mode HQPLAYER is not bit perfect. So you enjoy just passing the signal through HQPLAYER without any real understanding or control of the changes?

Reactions: Alrainbow

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Please reconcile your two statements below:

“I've been using HQPlayer for years and to me in my system no filters, modulators or upsampling sounds the best”

“You're mistaken to think I have a "problem" with HQPlayer, I love the sound it provides with my digital setup including the Aqua LinQ and Formula xHD DAC, I haven't found anything better yet”

Jussi has stated that even in “pass-though” or “bypass” mode HQPLAYER is not bit perfect. So you enjoy just passing the signal through HQPLAYER without any real understanding or control of the changes?
Please stop with the preconceived notions, again, I know full well how to use HQP.

Also, there is nothing to reconcile, and if you think that by not applying filters and / or upsampling = "just passing the signal through" you might want to learn what transpires from input to output.

Thanks again, I have nothing more to add. Feel free to have the last comment. And as always, enjoy the music!

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
No i don’t. I was waiting your answer.
You are right but reason isn’t what you are thinking about, because feedforward process increases the temporal precision when the polling frequency is higher and turn in an integer multiple of the original track.
It is a process that only brings advantages if you know how to do it well. There are many design criteria to meet for this to be all up and no downside. These criteria are critical and upsampling and preserving the NATIVE format is not a contradiction but rather complementary. What must be maintained is bit perfect during the first stages of decoding, (MQA is not decodable if it is not bit perfect). Also, time bases cannot be crossed, which means that the scaling multiples must be integer multiples.
So, once again, Wadax knowledge in Dac and Server lets them control the signal errors in a different and better way. :cool:

You are entering the realm of “alternative facts” so let’s clear a few things up. The Wadax Reference Dac has to stay bit perfect at its input to be able to decode or “unfold” MQA, ok I get that; with HQPLAYER you allow Roon Core to do the unfolding before the HQPLAYER process. But then after unfolding or decoding the PCM stream is upsampled to 352kHz or 384kHz to apply the musIC “feed forward“ “correction”…are you following me?

You see the $2.50 (two dollars and 50 cents) Texas Instruments (TI)/Burr-Brown (BB) dac chip inside the Wadax Reference Dac doesn’t care if that upsampled 352/384KHz comes form the musIC chip on its board or from an HQPLAYER server a continent away. It makes no difference if that PCM stream is native or upsampled to the dac chip.

Now let’s peel more of the Wadax onion and expose some more information: in the Wadax Reference Dac specification it states that it accepts DSD on its USB input up to a DSD256 rate, but all the internal processing with the “musIC” and “feed forward” “correction” (look up table) is done in PCM; therefore all DSD is converted to PCM internally in the Wadax. Are you following me? And more importantly, do you see where I’m going with this? Or are you ready for the wack-a-mole moment?

There is so much signal processing going on in the Wadax Reference Dac that to mislead people into thinking that is a bit perfect dac is laughable; that is even before the purported use of the mini-DSP core inside the TI/Burr-Brown dac chip. To think that on a dac this costly the emphasis would be on MQA, go figure.

Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Every now and then a person who does know how the magic trick is done weighs in.
what puzzles me is at what point does one pack up there 3 card Monty table and go home ?
digital is an endless game of manipulation, some we like while others hate it.
i get at high prices one must feel things are special but the smart ones know when to let it go lol. The udder ones keep pushing waiting for the turn in the trick.
madness is what the udder ones might be feeling.
go to ps audio and ask them what magic they use

Steve Vu

Oct 26, 2020
You are entering the realm of “alternative facts” so let’s clear a few things up. The Wadax Reference Dac has to stay bit perfect at its input to be able to decode or “unfold” MQA, ok I get that; with HQPLAYER you allow Roon Core to do the unfolding before the HQPLAYER process. But then after unfolding or decoding the PCM stream is upsampled to 352kHz or 384kHz to apply the musIC “feed forward“ “correction”…are you following me?

You see the $2.50 (two dollars and 50 cents) Texas Instruments (TI)/Burr-Brown (BB) dac chip inside the Wadax Reference Dac doesn’t care if that upsampled 352/384KHz comes form the musIC chip on its board or from an HQPLAYER server a continent away. It makes no difference if that PCM stream is native or upsampled to the dac chip.

Now let’s peel more of the Wadax onion and expose some more information: in the Wadax Reference Dac specification it states that it accepts DSD on its USB input up to a DSD256 rate, but all the internal processing with the “musIC” and “feed forward” “correction” (look up table) is done in PCM; therefore all DSD is converted to PCM internally in the Wadax. Are you following me? And more importantly, do you see where I’m going with this? Or are you ready for the wack-a-mole moment?

There is so much signal processing going on in the Wadax Reference Dac that to mislead people into thinking that is a bit perfect dac is laughable; that is even before the purported use of the mini-DSP core inside the TI/Burr-Brown dac chip. To think that on a dac this costly the emphasis would be on MQA, go figure.
The Reference DAC incorporates full MQA decoding, is compatible with DSD up to DSD256, and PCM up to 384khz/32bit. It means Wadax DAC can decode max 384khz/32bit files, not to be upsampled to 352kHz or 384kHz like you said.

"Atlantis DAC preserves the type of audio coding that is provided by the digital audio source from beggining to end. PCM are played natively, as well as DSD are played natively. This ensures the original properties are preserved and the time base is also kept. The dual frequency clock structure of the clocking system supplies the correct frequency for each type of track so synchronous native conversion is preserved. Most High-End industry converters transcode DSD to PCM before conversion, since the DAC circuitry on-board are multi-bit type."

Please do not misinterpret Wadax's functions. Many people don't understand Wadax will go along with you and commit other mistakes.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Look at this album. Digital audio conversion, Wadax.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019

Attachments

• 20220802_203751.jpg
    20220802_203751.jpg
    546.2 KB · Views: 17

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing