What is a reviewer?

For me, the criteria for an audio journalist are pretty simple:
1. Technical nous, so that the gear they listen to is set up sensibly. An example of how not to do it is Stereophile's review of the Oladra, which left all sorts of configuration queries open — at least with dCS gear.
2. The ability to write an informative, enjoyable review. I think Michael Fremer does this well.
3. No fence-sitting. If I can't tell what they actually think of a piece of gear or music then what's the point?
4. Impartiality. This one warrants a few paragraphs on its own...

I think it's important that anyone purporting to be a reviewer is actually a journalist, rather than a PR consultant or shill. Wouldn't we'd all question the motives of someone directing us to a car dealership/restaurant/tuk-tuk if we had a hunch they were incentivised to do so? Why should audio reviews be any different? Aren't they just florid press releases otherwise?

Topical example: I enjoyed Roy Gregory's writings and respected his opinions (in the belief that they were objective) for a long time. Right now I feel I've been taken for a fool. Whether or not there is truth to Roy's claims about darTZeel in the now-locked thread, he seems to be lying low rather than providing any further evidence or commenting about any conflicts of interest.

From my perspective the optics are horrible. Maybe some here see the same picture but don't think it's a biggie.

I like Roy's writing, and he passes #1 and #2 of my criteria above. He may well have written negative reviews and pass #3 also. Respect if so! Until recently, however, I had no idea Roy and his wife had the relationships they do (each other, plus CH Precision, Wadax, and Nordost in the past — see https://gy8.eu/intro/). Why not list these relationships on each review, @RoyGregory or at the very least link to them in every review so that it's not up to your readers to go digging?

Two things can both be true here:
1. You can provide a valuable service by calling out potential trouble for a manufacturer.
2. You can have conflicts of interest.

For me, though, picking #1 and not making #2 crystal clear right there and then — not cool. I hope others feel similarly, though I write only on my own behalf.

Declaration of interests: I sell a few brands in New Zealand (website in my profile — I do not sell darTZeel, however), and am a darTZeel owner (NHB-18NS and NHB-108 Model Two, bought used at prices I would pay again tomorrow even knowing what I know). I have had a few very pleasant interactions with Hervé, and others at the factory. He seems to be a gentleman and takes excellent care of his customers — even if, like me, they bought used. I see this as my end-game amplification (bar some NHB-468s one day, perhaps ;-)) and don't tend to churn equipment so I may never resell or only do so so long in the future that depreciation has come out in the wash. I do of course care about service though, and hope that the gear I own continues to sound wonderful long after I've shuffled off. I suspect my nephew may have his eyes on it...

Enjoyable idea for a thread, @Elliot G. :)
I agree @allofme. Conflicts of interest for digital journalists is a relatively new area (see for instance https://www.amazon.com/Ethics-Digital-Journalists-Emerging-Practices/dp/0415858844 from 2014) but the basic concepts go back to biblical times. Personal conflicts of interest should be avoided wherever possible, but where not possible or practical should at least be clearly disclosed.

I see being a review journalist and writing positive reviews of equipment for which his wife is engaged as a PR consultant with the specific task of soliciting positive reviews as a substantial conflict of interest. So I would have thought the prudent course of action here would be to have a policy of not reviewing any equipment that Marketing Effects represents or has represented. Roy seems to have done almost the exact opposite.

If a large number of people knew about this and didn't react I think it speaks volumes about journalistic standards in our dear industry. I wonder what other conflicts of interest might be lurking just beneath the surface?

Just my 2¢ worth.

I agree @allofme. Conflicts of interest for digital journalists is a relatively new area (see for instance https://www.amazon.com/Ethics-Digital-Journalists-Emerging-Practices/dp/0415858844 from 2014) but the basic concepts go back to biblical times. Personal conflicts of interest should be avoided wherever possible, but where not possible or practical should at least be clearly disclosed.

I see being a review journalist and writing positive reviews of equipment for which his wife is engaged as a PR consultant with the specific task of soliciting positive reviews as a substantial conflict of interest. So I would have thought the prudent course of action here would be to have a policy of not reviewing any equipment that Marketing Effects represents or has represented. Roy seems to have done almost the exact opposite.

If a large number of people knew about this and didn't react I think it speaks volumes about journalistic standards in our dear industry. I wonder what other conflicts of interest might be lurking just beneath the surface?

Just my 2¢ worth.
@struts a very large number of people know about Roy’s conflicts. And yes, there are many conflicted people in the industry and the press.

People don’t want to talk about it because is so pervasive. Look at the reaction I get when talk about it.

Reactions: all2ofme
My favorite is still Fremer, he is a wonderful writer. I have lost a little of my respect for his reviews over the years, taking them with a grain of salt these days. This audio business has so many agendas and affiliations. :rolleyes:
So, ask yourself this. Michael and I both knew some Mobile Fidelity reissues had a digital step in them. Sony and Universal don’t ship master tapes to Mobile Fidelity anymore.

Michael knew it because of his insider status and long history of promoting vinyl. I knew because people just spill their guts to people in the part of my profession I’ve spent my life in tax.

Why didn’t he say anything when we had many conversations about digital vinyl in the last eight years?

Reactions: mtemur
@struts a very large number of people know about Roy’s conflicts. And yes, there are many conflicted people in the industry and the press.

People don’t want to talk about it because is so pervasive. Look at the reaction I get when talk about it.
Point taken @Rt66indierock, but if you’re now going to tell me that John Atkinson’s wife just happens to be CEO of B&W or that Robert Harley just happens to be the majority owner of Wilson Audio I will be more than disappointed. Even if very a large number of people knew about them!

But in my book there’s a big difference between vested interests and conflicted interests. For instance a dealer who sells brands X and Y and makes his living from them will surely love a well known journalist that talks up those brands, especially if the latter appears to be objective and credible. I would expect him to promote those reviews and defend any criticism of them. But he is simply acting in his own self-interest which is entirely rational, there is no deception in that.

But an ”independent, objective” journalist who is talking up his own/his wife’s stock is a shyster. Whichever way I turn it it is just unethical, not to mention morally deplorable. The statement
Our work remains separate. She has her views and I have mine – unless that is, I want corroboration of some arcane tweak.
seems deftly crafted to deflect attention from the obvious financial conflict of interest with a self deprecating little joke, a bit like a magician’s sleight of hand. As if his need for her to validate an ”arcane tweak” were the only way her work could possibly affect his. But read the extreme hyperbole of the reviews themselves with this innocent little line in mind and you simply have to laugh out loud.

Last edited:
Reactions: all2ofme
Ok, let’s start with Robert Harley. Nobody can tell me where he got his Audio Engineering degree. Next cablegate, Jonathan Valin apparently sold Nordost cables since some loaned to him ended up on Audiogon. Tom Martin and Robert Harley covered it up. TAS reimbursed Nordost and Jonathan Valin apparently repaid them. Tom Martin’s lame explanation on Audio Asylum Critics Corner shows how little insiders care about basic honesty. My good friend, the late Charles Hansen of Ayre Acoustics never did business with TAS again.

There were some fun discussions with John Atkinson when he was editor of Stereophile about the “Chinese Wall” between him and one of his wives who headed up advertising for Stereophile. Also a couple guys got snagged up with cable loans according to John. But these were less serious than Jonathan’s issue.

And we can’t forget when TAS was in trouble, a bank loan was secured. Harry Pearson used proceeds for a new Corvette.

• Wow
Reactions: bonzo75
Why are you surprised?

Why are you surprised?
Because I am apparently naïve! As my dear father (94 y o) is wont to say..
You learn something new every day
Whether you wanted to or not..
I know a few journalists. One is the business editor for one of the main broadsheets here and I asked her what she thought about this specific case. She said “Declaration of interests is completely insufficient. We would never allow a journalist to cover a stock they held any position in. Period. We would have another journalist do it.” She added that if any journo even suggested covering a stock they had a position in she would “smell a rat” immediately.

Apparently audio journalism has somehow “relapsed” to a lower standard..

Because I am apparently naïve! As my dear father (94 y o) is wont to say..

I know a few journalists. One is the business editor for one of the main broadsheets here and I asked her what she thought about this specific case. She said “Declaration of interests is completely insufficient. We would never allow a journalist to cover a stock they held any position in. Period. We would have another journalist do it.” She added that if any journo even suggested covering a stock they had a position in she would “smell a rat” immediately.

Apparently audio journalism has somehow “relapsed” to a lower standard..

Welcome to the world

Reviewer I learned most from (general knowledge) - RH
LP playback - Mikey
Entertaining - Mikey
LPs to hunt for - HP
Buddies - Myles, Andre
Most similar taste - far from exact but Sircom maybe?????

Reactions: treitz3
It is nt perfect and never will be either
I meant what is your take on this sort of behaviour? One could interpret the above as a capitulation. That this sort of behaviour is now so institutionalised that you have become numb to it.

I am reminded of the Stuart Mills quote:
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”

But maybe that’s not what you meant?

I meant what is your take on this sort of behaviour? One could interpret the above as a capitulation. That this sort of behaviour is now so institutionalised that you have become numb to it.

“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.”

I never read reviews anymore , neither do i have the intention to change the worlds status quo , as its useless / waste of energy

There was a quote from the movie “Lord of War”, that goes “It’s said that evil prevails because good men fail to act. I say evil prevails “.

There was a quote from the movie “Lord of War”, that goes “It’s said that evil prevails because good men fail to act. I say evil prevails “.

Come to think of it , i much rather watch the lord of the Rings / Harry Potters Battle between Good and evil on a SOTA audio system .:cool:

You cant change people , if people think there are no conflict of interests in audio publications they are just plain dumb.

Why didn’t he say anything when we had many conversations about digital vinyl in the last eight years?
That’s a fair question and deserves an answer. Additionally check out Tracking Angle article about darTZell controversy. It only mentions ‘rumors’ and whole statement from darTZell side. Why he doesn’t mention what the ‘rumors’ claim? Why he doesn’t mention anything from one side (RG) labelling it as rumor while he’s putting every word of darTZell side? Is it inline with impartial, fair journalism?

Last edited:
Reactions: facten and wil
Come to think of it , i much rather watch the lord of the Rings / Harry Potters Battle between Good and evil on a SOTA audio system .:cool:

You cant change people , if people think there are no conflict of interests in audio publications they are just plain dumb.
When I became a dealer for KR Audio back in 2006, I stopped reviewing the first time. When I stopped being a dealer then a few years later I picked up reviewing again until I started representing Aries Cerat. Then I stopped reviewing the second time. I don’t like conflicts of interest and try to avoid them…guess I had a good upbringing… ;)

When I became a dealer for KR Audio back in 2006, I stopped reviewing the first time. When I stopped being a dealer then a few years later I picked up reviewing again until I started representing Aries Cerat. Then I stopped reviewing the second time. I don’t like conflicts of interest and try to avoid them…guess I had a good upbringing… ;)

Why stop , if you re a good storyteller and people like to read the stuff you write , its OK
Just be open about your business interests at the same time so people can make an opinion based on facts

• Sad
Reactions: morricab

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu