"Long-Term Equipment Loans: A Win-Win for Everyone" by Robert Harley, The Absolute Sound

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
So I looked up the JBL M9500 speakers and they appear to be circa 1994. Why not include modern technology like tighter speaker cabinets, better drivers, and better capacitors? Seems maybe that would be the best of both worlds.

I have an open mind about different approaches sounding better but we should not deny that technology marches forward and we are getting more clarity these days.

But is it just about clarity?

I think of good audio being a bit like food - there are many great recipies that can be equally satisfying, and having too much of a favourite ingredient can upset the balance.

Great audio is getting the balance right to get clarity along with tone, timber, timing and dynamics.

Wilson recently introduced an Alnico midrange driver that is said to have brought greater life and realism. They went back to a superior soft dome tweeter some years prior. These are old technologies.

The latest trend is Field Coil technology, with some proponents saying it is a game changer.

You can argue that we are moving forward. but in some ways, we are just going in circles :).

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
So I looked up the JBL M9500 speakers and they appear to be circa 1994. Why not include modern technology like tighter speaker cabinets, better drivers, and better capacitors? Seems maybe that would be the best of both worlds.

I see your point. The best of any world for me is less about parts than about what sounds right. I'm not knocking today's builds. In twenty years today's parts will be in the past but these speakers will still sound good to me.

It all starts with the bass. The M9500 is probably the last of their big studio monitors drivable with low wattage SET amplifiers. Fairly limited production so there are not a lot of them and they not uber expensive. I don't want to change their sound. The only change I'd make is to bi-amp them with another pair of Lamm ML2.2s.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
The latest trend is Field Coil technology, with some proponents saying it is a game changer.

And field-coil speaker technology is not new. From the 1920s through roughly the end of WWII many early theater speakers and jukeboxes used field-coil drivers until the adoption of permanent magnets with Alnico, and, later on, the use of rare earth materials such as neodymium.

Permanent magnets eventually replaced field-coil drivers, but not because permanent magnets offer higher performance. A main reason for the changeover was cost: a) permanent magnets are relatively lower in cost, b) field-coil magnets are more expensive to manufacture, and c) field-coil speakers require a separate power supply which adds additional cost and complexity. Field coil speakers with electromagnets allow dynamically changing some of the speaker's Thiele/Small (t/s) parameters. What was old is new again.

You can argue that we are moving forward. but in some ways, we are just going in circles :).

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Has there been any recent change to the system?

Yes. That video has an SME 3012-R with an Aidas Mammoth Gold cartridge (recently reviewed) on the Monaco. Though you cannot see it, the carpet is further back from the speakers by 11-inches and I removed the SRA base from under the TT.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes. That video has an SME 3012-R with an Aidas Mammoth Gold cartridge (recently reviewed) on the Monaco. Though you cannot see it, the carpet is further back from the speakers by 11-inches and I removed the SRA base from under the TT.

What was the previous cart then?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Fuuga on the 4Point.

Sounds like there was some gain issue with that one. This Sibelius has better energy and drive than your previous videos and quieter parts are not getting lost out on the video.

Reactions: tima

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
But is it just about clarity?

I think of good audio being a bit like food - there are many great recipies that can be equally satisfying, and having too much of a favourite ingredient can upset the balance.

Great audio is getting the balance right to get clarity along with tone, timber, timing and dynamics.

Wilson recently introduced an Alnico midrange driver that is said to have brought greater life and realism. They went back to a superior soft dome tweeter some years prior. These are old technologies.

No, it’s not just about clarity. I just quickly picked that as one of several that came to mind. I had been listening to some guitar recordings I did and the Vs did a remarkable job of transporting me back to the venue. Clarity was one aspect.

So these Wilson examples are in my Alexia Vs. The tweeter has new technology behind the tweeter for the backwave. The midrange driver has new technology as well. I am told both measure better. So it seems these examples are improvements on existing technology.

Maybe your circles are a wheel that is moving forward. :)

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
No, it’s not just about clarity. I just quickly picked that as one of several that came to mind. I had been listening to some guitar recordings I did and the Vs did a remarkable job of transporting me back to the venue. Clarity was one aspect.

So these Wilson examples are in my Alexia Vs. The tweeter has new technology behind the tweeter for the backwave. The midrange driver has new technology as well. I am told both measure better. So it seems these examples are improvements on existing technology.

Maybe your circles are a wheel that is moving forward. :)

I am glad that you like your Wilsons!

Some might argue that modern technologies like diamond tweeters are a big advancement, yet some people don't like the sound of them and prefer older soft dome technology. Likewise a lot of people prefer the sound of paper cones for mid and bass due to their balance of stiffness and damping.

There is a lot to be said for large cones for shifting air and high efficiency, also old concepts.

Wheels can move both forwards and backwards. :)

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Sounds like there was some gain issue with that one. This Sibelius has better energy and drive than your previous videos and quieter parts are not getting lost out on the video.

I agree. I figure it's the combination of changes with the 3012-R and moving the rug as most influential.

Reactions: bonzo75

Salectric

Jan 15, 2012

I have an open mind about different approaches sounding better but we should not deny that technology marches forward and we are getting more clarity these days.
“Modern” and “Vintage” are somewhat in the eye of the beholder. In my book, 1994 is modern! For some context, my woofers were made in 1947. They are 15” Jensens with paper cones and Alnico 3 magnets. My previous Jensens were 10-15 years younger and sported “modern” Alnico 5 magnets. The older woofers sound better despite a lower sensitivity (96 vs 99 db).

In each case I selected the woofers based on sound quality, not because of their age.

Reactions: PeterA and dcathro

Richard Austen

Jun 2, 2020
When reviewers keep on blabbering about their favorite gear and brands on every occasion, i question their partiality and motive. Give it a rest with all the AN praise, you have been drinking the cool aid, we get it ! :rolleyes:

With me, you know where I stand and my preferences - and I have been consistent for over 20 years in the things I like - and when they change - I have stated those changes.

I am not going to be one of those reviewers or individuals who pretends to have no bias - pretends to like a whole pile of stuff so that I can make a name for myself reviewing something just for the sake of reviewing and to say "ABC" is the greatest amplifier or speaker I ever heard - until the next issue when XYZ is now the greatest thing I ever heard - rinse/repeat.

I am a SET/HE speaker fan and AN is responsible for that entry point. However, since that eye-opening experience - I have liked/owned other SET/HE speakers as much - more in larger rooms.

Unfortunately, I simply do not have the space to review the large audiophile systems as I live in Hong Kong - this limits what I can bring in in terms of speakers. I would be happy to recommend Acapella speakers for example but outside of this forum where most of the posters are mega-millionaires) there are not too many people on forums asking for $80,000 to $850,000+ speakers.

At all kinds of budgets on audio forums I have recommended numerous brands: Sugden, Line Magnetic, Heed Audio, Tannoy, Melody Valve Audio, Accuphase, Luxman, Paradigm, Wyred4Sound, Shindo, Acapella Audio Arts, Rogers, Marguiles, Quad, Martin Logan, Legacy Audio, SoundKaos, Pureaudio Project, Pureaudio One, Rotel, Cambridge Audio, Marantz, Yamaha, Analog Domain, Synthesis tube amps, Meze audio, Sennheiser, AKG, Audio Technica, Roksan, Trenner & Freidl, Sound Master International tube amps, Acoustic Zen, Triode Labs, Coincident Technologies, Grant Fidelity, Opera Consonance, Shengya, Wharfedale, off the top of my head..

Most stuff is pretty darn good these days - What speaks to the individual is mostly up to the individual. That certain "something-something" magic sauce that does it for me may not to someone else. I sort of look at it like BBQ sauce on baby back ribs - most BBQ sauce is good enough but some just wow you more.

I could easily put together a very fine all-day enjoyable system from the above list of gear and no doubt many others.

Reactions: Bobvin

Richard Austen

Jun 2, 2020
And field-coil speaker technology is not new. From the 1920s through roughly the end of WWII many early theater speakers and jukeboxes used field-coil drivers until the adoption of permanent magnets with Alnico, and, later on, the use of rare earth materials such as neodymium.

Permanent magnets eventually replaced field-coil drivers, but not because permanent magnets offer higher performance. A main reason for the changeover was cost: a) permanent magnets are relatively lower in cost, b) field-coil magnets are more expensive to manufacture, and c) field-coil speakers require a separate power supply which adds additional cost and complexity. Field coil speakers with electromagnets allow dynamically changing some of the speaker's Thiele/Small (t/s) parameters. What was old is new again.

That is true - new doesn't necessarily equate to better - sometimes - oftentimes - new is created to sell something cheaper and to maximize profits.

I am looking forward to auditioning the AN E Field Coils that they have spent several years on - mainly the external power supply and the physical drivers which are much bigger and heftier.

I have heard most of the top-end gear and it always surprises me when SET amps - old speakers usually sound much better than modern gear touting the technology but often (almost always) sounds sterile to me. It may be better hi-fi but it isn't better musically IME. Albeit that's always subjective.

I recently auditioned some old Hartsfield speakers on some SET amps and I scratch my head as to the so-called improvements when this sort of thing is toe-tapping and involving in a way I never get from Wilson or Magico with all the "technology." Granted those Hartsfield speakers ain't cheap - they were in that new Lexus ES 350 range or so I believe.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing