What turntables do you use? Pictures would be nice as well :-)

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Actually think it's the other way around. Dust covers color the sound by picking up vibrations.

'Course if want the best, put the table in another room :)

Nice thought, Myles. I thought of that too but I would imagine the 'travel' of the room vibration from the cover into the body, and into the springs of my plinth and to the plinth itself, into the arm and then the cart would be a long one than an open TT having the room vibration hitting the cart and tonearm directly. Of course, I'm just thinking with respect to my suspended VPI HW 19 TT, and in a way, a Linn Sondek TT too.

Last edited:

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Right, so they need to be removable, not just hinged. The problem is that you need another turntable sized space to set down the cover.

Agreed. I think it's terrible that so many high-end TTs are sold today without a dust cover. Even a soft one (a la SME) would do, and would present less of a storage problem.

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
Rutgar,
please don't use tissue paper...The simple solution is to wrap around the spindle as much tape as to have a snug fit.
Using a small screwdriver open carefully the clamp and without loosing the screws take out the spring.
If you cannot find another spring that is like this but stiffer,you can pull the two ends of the original spring to elongate it a bit
and then put it back on it's place and close the clamp.This will make it a bit stiffer...
If you still face small speed instability problems, please change the belt - it could be old and has lost it's tension characteristics.
Try to find a similar (not too tight) belt but please clean it with a cloth soaked in alcohol before you install it.
With the same cloth clean the periphery of the subplatter.
Use gloves after the cleaning so that your finger oil will not contaminate the rubber.
Clean with a q-tip moistned in alcohol the motor spindle.
If the instability persists you have to change the PS caps as they may be running out of juice (25-30 years old) and do not filter the power output well enough...
Have fun!

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
This is my Da Vinci, waiting on an SRA platform. the table i had built is well leveled and with micro feet adjustments i am confident near fully leveled. the floor itself is an isolation floor, but i will still try the SRA component. The arm is Da Vinci 12" and an Air Tight PC-1 Supreme cartridge

photo 15..JPG
photo 5..JPG

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
This is my Da Vinci, waiting on an SRA platform. the table i had built is well leveled and with micro feet adjustments i am confident near fully leveled. the floor itself is an isolation floor, but i will still try the SRA component. The arm is Da Vinci 12" and an Air Tight PC-1 Supreme cartridge

You won't be disappointed with the SRA. I had my VPI sitting on an SRA Craz rack and then put the VR series isobase under the table a couple of months later. There was definitely a difference in the noise floor, dynamics, detail, etc. Every so often used to take the isobase out just to recheck my ears and each time the SRA won out. It also should work since it looks like your table is near the speakers.

The other place I found the SRA to work best is under the amps. Even more, surprisingly, than the phono section.

BTW, what cartridge do you have mounted in the arm?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA

View attachment 904
View attachment 905

My Hero.
If I ever gave up my SME 30, I would go with Da Vinci. I have a 10 inch Da Vinci Grandezza, the original "nautical" style brass and wood, on my SME 30 and love it.

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
Hi Myles,
i bought the SRA for the amps and i will follow suit with the TT. i am running into some space logistics so they might come measure. I have a PC-1 Supreme. Btw - i haven't started to look but does anyone know an easy place to get cartridge covers (plastic protection for the needle). i had a mishap, where i stepped on my and now have an exposed cartridge.

thanks,
brian

brianherlihy

Apr 21, 2010
New York
The 10" Grandezza is really nice. i actually wanted that over the 12" - it is much harder to find. i was able to buy Da Vinci's demo model with the 12" included, they upgraded it to the MkII and sent it off to me.

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
Soundofvoid
Okay, I will try the tape. I will also check out the spring in the clamp. You mentioned a new spindle, but where do you find one that works with these vertical turntables and their clamps?

As far as the speed instability goes, for some reason, after adjusting the trim pot, it's as stable as I've seen it in years, and is now rock steady. I put a new set of belts on not too long ago, and they are still in good shape. Which is probably why the speed adjust was whacky (and I didn't know about the trim pot).

To keep things on topic, another photo:

Reactions: Don_Camillo

soundofvoid

WBF Founding Member
Apr 22, 2010
Athens/Greece
Rutgar,the spindle is a two part design.Take out the clamp and look closely on the spindle:you will see a small hole near it's base.
Pass through the hole a thin allen key, stop the platter from spinning and turn the spindle in the same direction that you would tighten a screw!That is clockwise!
Yes that's right!The tapping is reversed!
Then the top part of the spindle comes off and you could take it to a CNC shop to reproduce it a little thicker.Inform him about the reversed screwthread!
Be careful with the platter(tape it!):the spindle holds it in it's place!
Nice set up!I was that close from getting these Parasounds...

Last edited:

vinylphilemag

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Kelowna, BC
www.vinylphilemag.com
Wow!A modern DD?Details?

It's a beauty! Kinda reminiscent of the Goldmund Reference...

BTW, whenever I see your handle, especially on the context of turntables, I'm reminded of the Voyd turntables of yesteryear. Those things had three 0.5 HP motors turning their platter!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
It's a beauty! Kinda reminiscent of the Goldmund Reference...

BTW, whenever I see your handle, especially on the context of turntables, I'm reminded of the Voyd turntables of yesteryear. Those things had three 0.5 HP motors turning their platter!

I had the same rxn eg. the new Goldmund Reference.

rugyboogie

May 30, 2010
Vancouver, BC
Very impressive looking table Jonathan.
Looks like a BIG direct drive on steroids......
Platter weight?
Motor looks massive.
Are you bringing it to the Rocky Mountain show?

rad

Jun 13, 2010
Ohio
JT,
Gorgeous looking turntable... I will be anxiously waiting.....& have been!
It will most certainly turn some heads in the analog world.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing