What turntables do you use? Pictures would be nice as well :-)

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Just a thought on the 'Rega no fiddle' ideas. There is a difference between not having the ability to make an adjustment and not needing one. I worked at a shop that sold Rega many years ago. The three point mount system does *not* always equal perfect alignment ... not to get into SRA/VTA between cart variances which you will never know about ;)

Yes nice sounding tables at a decent price.

Reactions: RickS

Republicoftexas69

I will stick with old reliable Thorens TD145. 40 years young and sounds great. IMG_0131.jpeg

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
^I've heard a Rega P10 knock a Thorens TD 124 DD out of the room.
Actually it should. The 124 DD is almost only nostalgic looks, but so many people only listen to the price of hifi and not the sound.

I would not buy a Rega cartridge though. It seem the build quality is on par with the 1970s British car industry.

A closeup of my museum piece:

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
Just a thought on the 'Rega no fiddle' ideas. There is a difference between not having the ability to make an adjustment and not needing one. I worked at a shop that sold Rega many years ago. The three point mount system does *not* always equal perfect alignment ... not to get into SRA/VTA between cart variances which you will never know about ;)

Yes nice sounding tables at a decent price.
This is one of the major design flaws with cartridges that have three mounting bolts rather than two.

Interesting that 'Linn' also use this system like Rega etc.

I don't know why such manufacturers as Linn and Rega (and some others) chose the three point when it is limited to cartridge adjustments.
I am guessing it was to help eradicate cartridge alignment issues especially with cartridges that are mounted by the manufacturer of the TT, and tonearm ????

Reactions: Scott Naylor

McDee275

Nov 4, 2021
Germany
As @Solypsa mentioned about Rega TT already: Nice sounding TT at a decent price. Described at it is!

ImhO, perfect to start with. If you are happy with it, stay and enjoy. If you want more of everything, start to look around.

After many years of staying away from HiFi, some years ago I started with a Rega RP6, RB303 and Goldring 1042. Good, made me happy for many years.
Replaced by a Thorens TD125 MkII, Schick 9'6 and Ortofon SPU #1 E.
Finally followed by a Lenco L75/PTP6 with GrooveMaster III and Ortofon SPU A Meister Silver

20221216_125900 kl (3).jpg

Cheers
Volker

Fishfood

VIP/Donor
Jul 11, 2020
As @Solypsa mentioned about Rega TT already: Nice sounding TT at a decent price. Described at it is!

ImhO, perfect to start with. If you are happy with it, stay and enjoy. If you want more of everything, start to look around.

After many years of staying away from HiFi, some years ago I started with a Rega RP6, RB303 and Goldring 1042. Good, made me happy for many years.
Finally followed by a Lenco L75/PTP6 with GrooveMaster III and Ortofon SPU A Meister Silver

View attachment 112925

Cheers
Volker

Beautiful! What a great plinth. Where did you get it from?

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway

View attachment 112925

Cheers
Volker
the VTA lift with its "heavy" nut will add some stabilty and weight to the sound as well....I have one on The Groovemaster and another on my Bokrand AS309 Banana for DaVa A1

Reactions: emoonie

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I will stick with old reliable Thorens TD145. 40 years young and sounds great. View attachment 112907
I love your Thorens, especially in that beautiful bespoke base. Given I see a TP-16 arm on your example it is likely the 160 model. The 160 with the TP-16 tonearm and a B&O SP-12 cartridge was my first truly great turntable so seeing your makes me fall in love with it all over again! Thanks for sharing.

Republicoftexas69

I love your Thorens, especially in that beautiful bespoke base. Given I see a TP-16 arm on your example it is likely the 160 model. The 160 with the TP-16 tonearm and a B&O SP-12 cartridge was my first truly great turntable so seeing your makes me fall in love with it all over again! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you for the kind words, it is the TD145. IMG_0293.jpg

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
This is one of the major design flaws with cartridges that have three mounting bolts rather than two.

I don't know why such manufacturers as Linn and Rega (and some others) chose the three point when it is limited to cartridge adjustments.
I am guessing it was to help eradicate cartridge alignment issues especially with cartridges that are mounted by the manufacturer of the TT, and tonearm ????
It’s perfectly fine if the cartridge has the designed bolt center to needle distance.
It’s similar to the SME two round holes plus inline adjustment. Enough wiggle room to get the angles correct. If the cart is manufactured to spec that is.

Reactions: Scott Naylor

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Reactions: Republicoftexas69

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada
I have been playing vinyl since the late 60's. On my journey I have had many fine turntables such as Thorens, Technics, Oracle, Linn and VPI. None of these costed a fortune but I enjoyed mating them with various tonearms and cartridges to produce some excellent sound.

Just recently the Brinkmann Bardo was practically gifted to me. It probably isn't going to make the What's Best top turntables list but hey not everyone can afford the big bucks. Still I quite like it, the sound is analog lovely . I plan to eventually upgrade the tonearm even though the stock BrinkMann is better than I expected. The granite platform that I added definitely brings out the best in it!

Attachments

• IMG_2261.jpeg
    IMG_2261.jpeg
    909.7 KB · Views: 33

emoonie

VIP/Donor
Aug 16, 2021
Monterey CA
^I've heard a Rega P10 knock a Thorens TD 124 DD out of the room.
Actually it should. The 124 DD is almost only nostalgic looks, but so many people only listen to the price of hifi and not the sound.

I would not buy a Rega cartridge though. It seem the build quality is on par with the 1970s British car industry.

A closeup of my museum piece:

Lovely TD125mk2! Ah memories...I used to have one as a second table w/ an SME series III and a Grace F9E back in the early 80's. For me I got more mileage dampening the underside of the arm board with Plasticene. YMMV

Reactions: Kjetil

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I have been playing vinyl since the late 60's. On my journey I have had many fine turntables such as Thorens, Technics, Oracle, Linn and VPI. None of these costed a fortune but I enjoyed mating them with various tonearms and cartridges to produce some excellent sound.

Just recently the Brinkmann Bardo was practically gifted to me. It probably isn't going to make the What's Best top turntables list but hey not everyone can afford the big bucks. Still I quite like it, the sound is analog lovely . I plan to eventually upgrade the tonearm even though the stock BrinkMann is better than I expected. The granite platform that I added definitely brings out the best in it!
Fundamentally that is all that matters , your post made me :)

Last edited:

Odd Harry

May 31, 2022
Acoustic Signature Ascona NEO . TA 7000 NEO. Dynavector XV-1S. TA 2000 NEO. Van Den Hul Colibri XGW

Ascona NEO 88.jpg Ascone NEO 2.jpg

jonaiken

VIP/Donor
Jan 22, 2017
Washington, DC
Acoustic Signature Ascona Neo with 2 TA-7000 Neo Tonearms with DS Audio Grand Master Optical Cartridge and VDH Colibri XGW Master Signature Cartridge

Attachments

• IMG_0368 Copy.jpeg
    IMG_0368 Copy.jpeg
    498.8 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_0282.jpeg
    IMG_0282.jpeg
    837.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_0280.jpeg
    IMG_0280.jpeg
    554.4 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_0850.jpeg
    IMG_0850.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 58

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
To be honest, I was perfectly happy with my previous turntable, a TW Acustic Raven One/Graham Phantom II/Etsuro Urushi Cobalt. I desired only one other table: a Kuzma Stabi R with a 4Point 11 inch arm. However, I like to buy gently used equipment and I had never seen this combination for sale in the Canadian market. A friend of mine decided to sell his though, as he desired the ease of the Rega cartridge mounting system. I have the Etsuru mounted now; early indications are that the new setup is more dynamic, quieter, and bass notes (which were already well-defined) reveal detail to a greater degree. I prefer the look of my old setup but as you can see, my turntable is hidden in an equipment room adjacent to my listening room, so looks were not a consideration. The Kuzma table and arm are beautifully engineered but looks-wise, it's as though I've traded in a nimble sports car for a Hummer. Or thinking of it another way, the Kuzma is the audio equivalent of an aircraft carrier!
I’m afraid I have to agree on a point… Kuzma has proven undeniable in its remarkable engineering and performance, especially the 4Point tonearm, though “elegance” is not the first word that comes to mind for me, sorry. If I owned one, it would reside in a utility closet. I feel no lust for its beauty of finish, it’s feel, nor sultry, sinuous lines. It has no draw (for me), no romance, like that of a beautiful woman, an early Ferrari, or Alfa Romeo. But as a brutish assault vehicle it dominates impeccably. Amazing sound. For those who love it, and there are plenty who do, my sincere apologies for my frank disapproval. I will live with (perhaps) less to satisfy my esthetic needs.

Reactions: tima and earl3090

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing