What turntables do you use? Pictures would be nice as well :-)

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain
I’m afraid I have to agree on a point… Kuzma has proven undeniable in its remarkable engineering and performance, especially the 4Point tonearm, though “elegance” is not the first word that comes to mind for me, sorry. If I owned one, it would reside in a utility closet. I feel no lust for its beauty of finish, it’s feel, nor sultry, sinuous lines. It has no draw (for me), no romance, like that of a beautiful woman, an early Ferrari, or Alfa Romeo. But as a brutish assault vehicle it dominates impeccably. Amazing sound. For those who love it, and there are plenty who do, my sincere apologies for my frank disapproval. I will live with (perhaps) less to satisfy my esthetic needs.
I can't say that for my Kuzma XL DC...... I look at it in admiration every day at it's beauty, and it's technical excellence !

When natural sunlight comes through into my listening room and the sun's rays strikes my XL DC, the colours radiating from it are truly fantastic !

This pic is without any sunlight rays falling onto my XL DC and it still looks magnificent;

thumbnail_IMG_4262.jpg

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I can't say that for my Kuzma XL DC...... I look at it in admiration every day at it's beauty, and it's technical excellence !

When natural sunlight comes through into my listening room and the sun's rays strikes my XL DC, the colours radiating from it are truly fantastic !

This pic is without any sunlight rays falling onto my XL DC and it still looks magnificent;

View attachment 116164
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder ! ;)

Bonesy Jonesy

Jan 3, 2017
UK & Spain

View attachment 116164
My Stylus Timer is a real Devil of a useful piece of kit ! lol :p

Reactions: mtemur

No Regrets

Jan 24, 2012
Midwest USA
To be honest, I was perfectly happy with my previous turntable, a TW Acustic Raven One/Graham Phantom II/Etsuro Urushi Cobalt. I desired only one other table: a Kuzma Stabi R with a 4Point 11 inch arm. However, I like to buy gently used equipment and I had never seen this combination for sale in the Canadian market. A friend of mine decided to sell his though, as he desired the ease of the Rega cartridge mounting system. I have the Etsuru mounted now; early indications are that the new setup is more dynamic, quieter, and bass notes (which were already well-defined) reveal detail to a greater degree. I prefer the look of my old setup but as you can see, my turntable is hidden in an equipment room adjacent to my listening room, so looks were not a consideration. The Kuzma table and arm are beautifully engineered but looks-wise, it's as though I've traded in a nimble sports car for a Hummer. Or thinking of it another way, the Kuzma is the audio equivalent of an aircraft carrier!
Your Kuzma is a mighty find sounding front end! As far as esthetic concern... did you give any thought to finding a Stabi R Wood?

I was able to hear that at Axpona near Chicago this past April although it was using the Ref 313VTA tonearm. I thought it sounded excellent and I quite enjoyed the look of it as well with the Walnut wooden plinth.

Best wishes,
Don

groovemaster

VIP/Donor
Sep 26, 2017
Something special from the senventies and eighties.
RUSSCO STUDIO PRO. My "Hot Rod" .The working horse in the Broadcast stations. I equipped it with the Ortofon AS-212 tonearm. This one matches much better, optically and in function, than the wooden Micro Track arms we find normally.

Russco_1.jpg Russco_2.jpg

This is real -Analog Spirit-

Best regards
groovemaster

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
just arrived, for the moment with Sorane TA-1L tonearm, still waiting for the customized bases for my Axiom and other arms,
total of 4 arms is planned.

Acoustic Signature Invictus jr MkII

IMG_2412.jpg IMG_2409.jpg

Last edited:

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Something special from the senventies and eighties.
RUSSCO STUDIO PRO. My "Hot Rod" .The working horse in the Broadcast stations. I equipped it with the Ortofon AS-212 tonearm. This one matches much better, optically and in function, than the wooden Micro Track arms we find normally.

View attachment 116245 View attachment 116246

This is real -Analog Spirit-

Best regards
groovemaster
Real broadcast turntables should have gear shifts :cool:

Reactions: AudioHR

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
I also respect Syntax. I find his candor refreshing and have written to discuss a few topics. He can be rather blunt, but as you write, his opinions seem to be based on direct experience. I'm glad to see that SME did not make that list above of some of his "classic" remarks. He also seems to prefer belt drive turntables.
Not knocking them - but I've always respected SME's - never loved them - i'm happy to be persuaded otherwise though. In testing @Syntax ire I was blown away by the Continuum and Sirius and think that the FR64s is a bit bloated although I do like it nevertheless ;)

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada
Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
IMG_6766.jpeg

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
IMG_6951.jpeg

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Impressive!
Do you have a #1 arm of the four?
For the moment the #1 arm will be the AS Axiom, but this might change over time, as I like Safir or Tosca a to as well.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Lee has the first turntable that I have heard (out of many hundreds over the years), that sounded as if it was dialed in perfectly. I fell into the music on each track that he played.

Thanks Jim. A lot of credit must go to Mike Burns at Wolfsong Audio, my setup guy.

je2a3

Apr 25, 2020
north of philly
jelabs.blogspot.com

Lafayette PK300 - Japanese idler-driven turntable from the late 50s + Tokyo Sound ST900 tonearm + SPU#1s

je2a3

Apr 25, 2020
north of philly
jelabs.blogspot.com
I just can’t get enough of these great idlers!
IMHO, these Japanese idler-driven turntables aren't quite the equal of the Garrard 301, 401 or Thorens TD124 sonically. But with a bit of DIY, these are viable alternatives to those who want the idler sound but can't quite afford the aforementioned classics.

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
IMHO, these Japanese idler-driven turntables aren't quite the equal of the Garrard 301, 401 or Thorens TD124 sonically. But with a bit of DIY, these are viable alternatives to those who want the idler sound but can't quite afford the aforementioned classics.
True enough…i’m spoiled a bit, as i run a first-month-of-production TD-124, fully restored by Greg Metz at STS Turntables, and a Lenco L75/PTP 6 on slate. They are both stunning (to me!), but i have heard a NEAT that was every much an equal.

Sad with all the material advances of the last 50 years very few new idlers exist. I’ve never heard (or even seen, for that matter) a Saskia, but i would love to. Whoever bought Mike Lavigne’s Saskia got a killer ‘table!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing