What Vintage Piece of Electronic Gear Did You Wish You Never Sold

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Jadis,

It seems in my SP10mk2 the only tubes that work are the EH6922 Low Noise that I buy from ARC ( FYI in the factory until now the SP10MK2 is use as a test mule for testing they're low noise 6DJ8/6922).Its dry sounding but at least its quiet and they last long.I try to compensate for their being on the dry side by tube rolling in the input of my tube amps or the interconnect and speaker cable changes or adjusting the VTA and of course using a lush sounding cartridge eg.Koetsu ,some Benz Micro models.

tdh888

tdh888

That makes sense, tdh888. I would have done the same moves. :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Jadis,

It seems in my SP10mk2 the only tubes that work are the EH6922 Low Noise that I buy from ARC ( FYI in the factory until now the SP10MK2 is use as a test mule for testing they're low noise 6DJ8/6922).Its dry sounding but at least its quiet and they last long.I try to compensate for their being on the dry side by tube rolling in the input of my tube amps or the interconnect and speaker cable changes or adjusting the VTA and of course using a lush sounding cartridge eg.Koetsu ,some Benz Micro models.

tdh888

tdh888

Hi TDH, have you ever tried the EAT Tube Dampers? I would not say they will help make the tube more liquid...but i have a similar opinion of some so-so Mullards...a bit lifeless...but they're quiet while i wait for replacement sets of my Amperex US PQ White labels which ended up being a bad batch...so for 19 bucks each, i got EAT tube dampers...they did not make the Mullards more liquid...but because they got rid of shimmer, the whole sound became way more solid, which added a nice 'life' to the sound...i have had them in the closet for 2 years trying to figure out what to do with them. and after 2 hours, i always took them out and put them back in the closet...to hard, dry.

And then i have now had them in for 3 weeks and really enjoy them a lot with the EAT tube dampers...worth a go at 19 bucks each? just one man's experience.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
There are a few pieces i have left behind which i am happy to have let go...but they were truly special. CJ MV60, SF Guarneris, Celestion SL6si's...they each hold a very generous amount of magic (for me). I also had the chance to get Apogee Stages once, and a Forte 4 Class A SS 50watt amp...also both have real magic. they were super-discounted, but i was just out of school with no chance to buy them. I got Celestion SL6si's for 300 bucks and enjoyed them for over 12 years.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
And then i have now had them in for 3 weeks and really enjoy them a lot with the EAT tube dampers...worth a go at 19 bucks each? just one man's experience.[/QUOTE]

Hi Lioyd i have not tried the tube dampers from EAT but they're a bit pricey for me at $19 ea. The ARC SP10 MK2 has 8 6922 tubes in the phono stage alone and 4 for yhe linestage. What Im using now are tube dampers I got from Roger Mojeski (RAM) around 5yrs ago. The SP 10 when I got them had tube dampers provided by the factory as standard equipment but they deteriorated a long time ago.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Hi Lioyd i have not tried the tube dampers from EAT but they're a bit pricey for me at $19 ea. The ARC SP10 MK2 has 8 6922 tubes in the phono stage alone and 4 for yhe linestage. What Im using now are tube dampers I got from Roger Mojeski (RAM) around 5yrs ago. The SP 10 when I got them had tube dampers provided by the factory as standard equipment but they deteriorated a long time ago.

IIRC ARC always sold tube dampers with tube replacement

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
And then i have now had them in for 3 weeks and really enjoy them a lot with the EAT tube dampers...worth a go at 19 bucks each? just one man's experience.

Hi Lioyd i have not tried the tube dampers from EAT but they're a bit pricey for me at $19 ea. The ARC SP10 MK2 has 8 6922 tubes in the phono stage alone and 4 for yhe linestage. What Im using now are tube dampers I got from Roger Mojeski (RAM) around 5yrs ago. The SP 10 when I got them had tube dampers provided by the factory as standard equipment but they deteriorated a long time ago.[/QUOTE]

that sure adds up...glad i've got 3 tubes between DAC and pre. (plus 3 in power supply for DAC but i've left them alone).

prerich

May 21, 2012
My old Yamaha NS-1000's, Polk Audio SDA-SRS, and my dbx BX-3.

v5OhxSJu

Aug 15, 2012
Accuphase T-100 tuner. After 25 years it had reliability problems; I wish I knew the repair technicians then that I know now!

I found a KT-88 McIntosh 275 and C22 preamp for $85 at an estate sale; I sold them at a nice profit so no regrets!

apesfan

Feb 18, 2014
Long Island
OOHHH! A McIntosh 7270 amp, Two Rel Stadium Woofs, a Krell Resolution Woof, KLH speakers #23, I think, Tara speaker and interconnect wires value? at about 5 grand, nuts I know, once had money, no more-retired. Sansui 5050 receiver and a multitude of Kenwood intergrated amps and a 620 cassette deck from 1977-1980.
The list goes on and on even a Magnavox wonderful piece of audio tube art console from 1965 that cost then 2 grand then. Sounded so good to me even with a heavy as a brick tonearm from BSR, what furniture though amazing.
Back to the near present Musical Fidelity kw500 intergrated and BandW 802D speakers, the first ones with alittle to be desired with the ohmage swings.
Loved it all and Im sure their is atleast double this whwn I clear my head so your all saved, John M. Take Care

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Electronic? My old Teac 3440. But if I can cheat, and I really want to capture vintage mojo and sound, I'll take back my old Altec Valencias. Or maybe the Klipsch LaScalas.

Tim

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Revive an old thread time.

Crown Macro Reference Amp
Magneplanar Tympani Iva speakers

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Agree this thread is painful!
Mark Levinson 331 amp
Levinson 36 37 dac and transport
Levinson 380 pre
Audio Research Classic 60 monos
Oracle Delphi Mk 2 tt with ET 2 arm and Talisman S cartridge- all set up by the master himself, Robert Taylor of Taylor House

TUBEY

Mar 31, 2016
Pioneer PLC590 turntable, audio-technica AT1010 tonearm,audio research LS8 , various ortofon SPU , Koetsu onix, sme series II, Rogers studio 1 speakers and spendor SP1,THORENS TD126 III,Linn sondek ,Pink Triangle Anniversary :(

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Hi,

Ortofon Vero "State of Art" a wonderful Cart...stupid
Stax X1T Dac the best i ever had..2x UltraAnalog Chips with Tube stage sounds great
Combo Musical Fidelity David with Triangle Comete.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
dynaco Pat4 preamp
dynaco ST120 power amp
..both were kits I built my junior year at Purdue

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing