What's best in highly sensitive/efficient speakers.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Interesting....
When I demoed the 28/3 model I found it to be very coherent. And, this was literally minutes after hearing a single-driver speaker in the same system. I listened for a disconnect between the cone bass and the horns above but nothing stood out.
Maybe a 10 inch woofer is able to play up higher with better dispersion.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Does anyone know what electronics they were they using here?
I think it is a Russian company called NEM.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
It was disappointing to read the reviews of the system featuring the Animas at the T.H.E. Show 2019 in June. It makes me hesitant to make travel plans to go and hear these.

I like the speakers and have heard them sound good only once at Munich in 4 years (Two other years they had the Avaton). That does not mean you will like them if you travel all these horns have a different sound and whether the wavac 300b works with it is not clear.

Reactions: KeithR

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
I like the speakers and have heard them sound good only once at Munich in 4 years (Two other years they had the Avaton). That does not mean you will like them if you travel all these horns have a different sound and whether the wavac 300b works with it is not clear.
When I read this I think "what are the chances that these will sound good in my room with my amp?". It seems like a real crapshoot with these speakers whereas other speakers generally get good to glowing reviews from show to show and person to person.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
When I read this I think "what are the chances that these will sound good in my room with my amp?". It seems like a real crapshoot with these speakers whereas other speakers generally get good to glowing reviews from show to show and person to person.
I say give them a shot.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

They won't sound good with the Mayer.

That said nothing sounds good show to show. If anyone uses shows to judge they will stumble on the right component only by luck or because they already have a bit of the system background at the show

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
They won't sound good with the Mayer.

That said nothing sounds good show to show. If anyone uses shows to judge they will stumble on the right component only by luck or because they already have a bit of the system background at the show
How can you say this with any certainty? An amp of that power is MADE for speakers like the Animas, which are like 109db/watt. If not that then what are they for?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I know. :)
But to my earlier point -- I could go and like them and buy them but then find that they really sound bad in my room with my amp. I know that's true of many speakers but these seem to be hyper room and amp sensitive.

The 45 is a very low watt amp. I think the Anima requires more power and drive especially for the bass, which is probably why the wavac didn't work. Usually the sensitivity readings are only for mids or so.

If anyone wants the duo, thus horns symphonia is a better speaker imo. This retails at only 15k euro.

Nice little montage:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I know. :)
But to my earlier point -- I could go and like them and buy them but then find that they really sound bad in my room with my amp. I know that's true of many speakers but these seem to be hyper room and amp sensitive.
This can be said about most large speaker systems

Reactions: bonzo75

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Yes, the hope of being able to keep my amp is the only thing stopping me from just ordering the Odeon 33s.
Yeah...not gonna work with the 33s...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing