What's best in highly sensitive/efficient speakers.

Not a bad idea at all;)

I don't know if these horns were mentioned earlier in the thread, but these are my current favorite high efficiency speakers :cool:

Imperia_Ash-1.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: thomask
You’ve heard them?
No I haven't had the privilage of auditioning the big Imperia horns as I live in Australia & there is no local Distributor. But if I were in the market for uber speakers, the OMA's would be in my top 3 or 4 speakers to audition; and top of my list of high efficiency speakers. That said, there are a lot of great horn speakers, some of which have been mentioned earlier in the thread.

Yeah they're a bit like buying a large, expensive piece of artwork. You do pay a premium for their Industrial design. Though word is the sound is every bit as good.

I think Kedar heard all the OMA horns and ended up preferring their middle one called Monarch, which is a 2 way.

Reactions: bonzo75
I think Kedar heard all the OMA horns and ended up preferring their middle one called Monarch, which is a 2 way.

http://zero-distortion.org/oswald-mills-oma/

Also keep in mind that a lot is paid for the aesthetics too and the eye to detail is seriously good, right from the speakers to all the corners of the room to the sink and the bathroom, everything is designed with an eye to detail

The Butterlfies! I don't know how their bigger horns were setup, so I couldn't comment on the comparison. But we all have different ears/tastes.

mon4.jpg

They are all set up by them with the right match amp in an excellent room. In fact the monarch is set with lesser expensive source and amps as it is considered no 2 in price.

It seems to be a copy of the RCA Shearer or ubangie. He did say that their designs were influenced by RCA. There are big Shearer horns at this year's ETF

16F26CF0-5D95-4EFC-81D3-6DAD645D61B5.jpeg

They are all set up by them with the right match amp in an excellent room. In fact the monarch is set with lesser expensive source and amps as it is considered no 2 in price.

It seems to be a copy of the RCA Shearer or ubangie. He did say that their designs were influenced by RCA. There are big Shearer horns at this year's ETF

View attachment 57476

Are you sure about the latter? The Shearer cabinet is a properly folded horn as is ubangie. The Monarch looks much more conventional other than the extended baffles - doesn’t look folded.

Are you sure about the latter? The Shearer cabinet is a properly folded horn as is ubangie. The Monarch looks much more conventional other than the extended baffles - doesn’t look folded.

No not sure. Hence "it seems". He did say they were influenced by RCA designs, and I see wings and possibly two front firing bass drivers in the RCA as well? I gave a pic of the back as both are boxing up the woofer section that way to provide reinforcement, I think. So I guessed it is this one

Last edited:
A very good mate is the Australian OMA distributor and the OMA minis are a great speaker... heard them many times, even a few times with just coffee, though they are at very much at their best with an Australian shiraz.

Would much love to hear the OMA Monarchs but the way the Aud $$$ is travelling south I figure that may not ever happen unless I travel to New York.

Reactions: Bodhi
A very good mate is the Australian OMA distributor and the OMA minis are a great speaker... heard them many times, even a few times with just coffee, though they are at very much at their best with an Australian shiraz.

Would much love to hear the OMA Monarchs but the way the Aud $$$ is travelling south I figure that may not ever happen unless I travel to New York.
I wasn't aware there was a local Distributor, but I knew with certainty the only place Aussies could audition their flagship speakers was in NYC.

I wasn't aware there was a local Distributor, but I knew with certainty the only place Aussies could audition their flagship speakers was in NYC.
Bodhi, I’m sure if you wanted some Imperias Cam could get you in some :) they do look sensational.

Bodhi, I’m sure if you wanted some Imperias Cam could get you in some :) they do look sensational.
I think the key thing is horns that large need a large, professionally treated room & expert setup. Being that sensitive, i'd love to throw the super-quiet Vitus SIA-030 at them, or APL Hifi Master Reference amps.

hmmm, think there’s better ways to amplify horns tho. That’s why the universe invented SET.

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu