What's best in highly sensitive/efficient speakers.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Exlibris, I have a totally new found respect for Zu after a decade of ownership and finally dialling them in correctly on analog (more accurately, dialling in my analog).

I would really implore you to check out the Soul Supreme (reach out to SETDrugs who adores them), the Druid VI (ditto reach out to 213Cobra), and the soon to be released Definitions VI.

I can fill you in on the Defintions, I'm running the current IVs. They have downfiring subs which I understand is a no no for yr condo. However the VIs will be going w side- or front-firing subs. If this works in yr situation, the new Definitions could be just what you want.

Happy to extol the joy of Zu listening to you.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
Exlibris, I have a totally new found respect for Zu after a decade of ownership and finally dialling them in correctly on analog (more accurately, dialling in my analog).

I would really implore you to check out the Soul Supreme (reach out to SETDrugs who adores them), the Druid VI (ditto reach out to 213Cobra), and the soon to be released Definitions VI.

I can fill you in on the Defintions, I'm running the current IVs. They have downfiring subs which I understand is a no no for yr condo. However the VIs will be going w side- or front-firing subs. If this works in yr situation, the new Definitions could be just what you want.

Happy to extol the joy of Zu listening to you.

I'm trying; I'm just having a hard time finding a pair here in Canada. So far I have demos lined up for: PAP; Odeon; and Cube Audio.
You Zu guys are almost religious about your speakers and I have to find out what all the fuss is about. :^)

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
For me it was the search for a spkr that would thrive on low or medium power tubes in a very large (850 sq ft/10,000 cub ft) room.

I wasn't really clued up on horns, loved Sjraen's reviews of Zus in 2006-2008, and the demo was so compulsive.

I've taken longer than most to get mine to fully sing (my first room was beyond challenging, and my tt setup has taken time to fully evove), but the core Zu DNA has been there since the start, and they are more addictive than they were on Day One.

Exlibris, speak to Sean or Gerrit at Zu, and try and secure their no-risk demo scheme.

Exlibris

Oct 7, 2015
Canada
systems.audiogon.com
I spoke with Gerrit. He put me in touch with their guy in Canada. He has some models lower in the line coming in but nothing at the Soul Supreme or higher level. The no-risk demo scheme is for Americans only I believe. Importing the speakers into Canada and shipping them back over the border is an expense and a hassle that I'm not willing to go through just for a demo.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Understood. Zu straddle the direct sales/minimal dealer network model. Which means frustration in hearing models higher up the line.

Perservere, and maybe Gerrit can come up w something.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Currently I do enjoy a pair of Odeon 33 , using a 2x3w Triode (EL34),
very nice sound. For me the Odeon 33 are one of the best speakers out of the Odeon portfolio!

As I have currently too much speakers to play around with, I will offer the Odeon 33 soon in the WBF market place :)
IMG_0103.jpg IMG_0104.JPG IMG_0105.jpg IMG_0106.jpg IMG_0107.jpg IMG_0108.jpg

Reactions: hogen

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
What other speakers are you playing with?

hORNS Universum III (will be sold this weekend)
hORNS Opera 15' Beryllium version
(same chassis as Universum III, but more time coherent, as no downfire bass)
Wilson Audio Maxx 3
Burmester B100
coming soon:
Cessaro Chopin

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
hORNS Universum III (will be sold this weekend)
hORNS Opera 15' Beryllium version
(same chassis as Universum III, but more time coherent, as no downfire bass)
Wilson Audio Maxx 3
Burmester B100
coming soon:
Cessaro Chopin
Interesting. So it seems you prefer the Opera to the Nr. 33 or Universum. I didn’t get a great impression from the Opera the one time I heard it, unlike Universum and 32/33, which both sounded awesome to me even under show conditions. Can you elaborate on your thoughts on these three speakers?
The Chopin should be interesting but I wonder how you will like the horn bass, which will not be as gut thumping as you get from your other speakers.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Interesting. So it seems you prefer the Opera to the Nr. 33 or Universum. I didn’t get a great impression from the Opera the one time I heard it, unlike Universum and 32/33, which both sounded awesome to me even under show conditions. Can you elaborate on your thoughts on these three speakers?
The Chopin should be interesting but I wonder how you will like the horn bass, which will not be as gut thumping as you get from your other speakers.

I do run the speakers in different rooms, so the Cessaro Chopin will be placed a a relatively small room close to the corners, might work well, I will find out.

hORNS Opera and Odeon 33 are different in many matters. I prefer Odeon 33 on longer listening distance compared to my hORNS Opera (which is a kind of special, the normal Opera 15' does not have the Beryllium speakers, so my Opera was a custom order built. also many people only remember the 10' or 12' Opera versions, the 15' is better balanced) .

Both speakers do have a very different Design language, so personal preference on the Design will als guide you to a decision :)

In my main music room I will stay currently with the Maxx 3.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I do run the speakers in different rooms, so the Cessaro Chopin will be placed a a relatively small room close to the corners, might work well, I will find out.

hORNS Opera and Odeon 33 are different in many matters. I prefer Odeon 33 on longer listening distance compared to my hORNS Opera (which is a kind of special, the normal Opera 15' does not have the Beryllium speakers, so my Opera was a custom order built. also many people only remember the 10' or 12' Opera versions, the 15' is better balanced) .

Both speakers do have a very different Design language, so personal preference on the Design will als guide you to a decision :)

Chopin in a smallish room could have a lot of potential. My own Odeon La Bohemes are similar in design (also a two-way backloaded Horn) and worked very well in a 18 sq. Meter room). Since you are in Germany, have you considered one of the Dynamikks Monitor models? If you get really serious about an end game horn system give the Aries Cerat Symphonia a listen.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Chopin in a smallish room could have a lot of potential. My own Odeon La Bohemes are similar in design (also a two-way backloaded Horn) and worked very well in a 18 sq. Meter room). Since you are in Germany, have you considered one of the Dynamikks Monitor models? If you get really serious about an end game horn system give the Aries Cerat Symphonia a listen.

I was going to suggest that as well. Shakti, are you going to Munich? There is a big AC system there in Hall 1. Once you get into serious money, I think that is THE destination speaker. But I imagine, very different to the Wilsons, thinking how they sound at various shows where I heard them.

On 2 way, my Zingali 1.2s work very well with the Aries Cerat Genus SET. I am in a smallish room and have huge dynamics and bass control. And the horn mids and treble, it is super smooth. Shakti had the Zingali 1.5s, I have followed part of his journey with interest. Many speakers work in different rooms, and fail in others in some ways. It is very frustrating / confusing. I am near field so that limits my choices to 2 way really for integration. Right now I feel I am missing nothing, the FR is pretty linear, near perfect on my test sweeps. Interestingly, I can play low, medium and loud and have the same sound no shift or dynamic compression going on.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

Curious. Can you elaborate on the 33 and Opera? They are similar concepts in many ways but executionally different but I would expect more similar than different.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What do you prefer about Maxx3 vs the Odeons and Horns Universum?

You've had a bunch of interesting speakers rotate through your room - very much appreciate your feedback.

You need to keep in mind that his universums were run very differently to what normal universums are set up like. He ran them with VTL and cat and crossed them to subs. The usual universum set up will be without subs. SETs or very low watt push pulls like the cube EL84 of 12w. Of course his room is extremely big.

The other thing is someone who likes uni will find it tough to like the Wilson's and vice versa. Music choices would differ as well.

To me, Odeon 28, 32, and 38 are like efficient cones. I would choose verity over them for similar tastes. Panels, Devore, Tannoy and uni over that. The big 120k Odeon at Munich was excellent.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
You need to keep in mind that his universums were run very differently to what normal universums are set up like. He ran them with VTL and cat and crossed them to subs. The usual universum set up will be without subs. SETs or very low watt push pulls like the cube EL84 of 12w. Of course his room is extremely big.

The other thing is someone who likes uni will find it tough to like the Wilson's and vice versa. Music choices would differ as well.

To me, Odeon 28, 32, and 38 are like efficient cones. I would choose verity over them for similar tastes. Panels, Devore, Tannoy and uni over that. The big 120k Odeon at Munich was excellent.

Bonzo, you heard the Zingali 1.5s when Shakti has the YGs? How were they? They were driven by the l`ne Magnetic 211s? I saw some posts from Shakti that he had low bass output on the Zingalis, but also the Wilsons, but resolved that later as it was the inputs into the pre and sub. I read that on the German forum. Maybe Shakti can elaborate?

I am getting LOTS of fast tight and detailed bass on my Zingali 1.2s with the Aries Cerat Genus, but my room is not anywhere near as big as Shakti's.

Possibly in his case, room size is an issue? The X3s will be capable of filling that room no doubt.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Bonzo, you heard the Zingali 1.5s when Shakti has the YGs? How were they? They were driven by the l`ne Magnetic 211s? I saw some posts from Shakti that he had low bass output on the Zingalis, but also the Wilsons, but resolved that later as it was the inputs into the pre and sub. I read that on the German forum. Maybe Shakti can elaborate?

I am getting LOTS of fast tight and detailed bass on my Zingali 1.2s with the Aries Cerat Genus, but my room is not anywhere near as big as Shakti's.

Possibly in his case, room size is an issue? The X3s will be capable of filling that room no doubt.

I preferred the YG. The zingali also had nice mids but colored, and bass was not less but wooly. They were with airtight 211. The new YG hailey would be even better but in his room bass will not be sufficient, he might need the 4 tower one lol.

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
I preferred the YG. The zingali also had nice mids but colored, and bass was not less but wooly. They were with airtight 211. The new YG hailey would be even better but in his room bass will not be sufficient, he might need the 4 tower one lol.
Interesting, thanks. Maybe the 211s had small OPTs or PS? My Genus has good well controlled bass on the 1.2s. I was considering looking at the 1.5s. May have to try them first.
The YGs have active bass units, so if they didn't have enough for that room, pretty much nothing will short of the big Wilsons.
Oddly, I have heard the 3.15s and the 1.12s at the Zingali factory, and they fill an enormous room with dynamic sound, and the bass seemed tight. The source and amp were some basic old units, nothing special. I was amazed TBH.

Geoff7.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No the YG hailey I mentioned are different from his. They are later with better mids and smaller. YG are never known for bass like the Wilson

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
To power the hORNS Universum III and Opera 15' Beryllium best,
I bought finally the My Sound monoAmps and the Preamp.
http://mysound.com.pl/?page_id=290&lang=en

Lukasz developed the majority of the hORNS speakers with that Polish combination.
They were used during the most fairs, where I heard the hORNS speakers.
I like the speakers a lot with this amps, best I had on them.

The Odeon 33 does play with low power tube amps as well,
but I like the 33 most with amps like the NAT Transmitter, means high power SET.
Than this 2 speakers are not that different, means they are both more close together,
than close to a Maxx 3.

The benefit of the Maxx 3 is, that the speaker can fill my room with ease, deep Basslines, high SPL, all no problem. My VTL S-400 is the stereo Version of the well known VTL Siegfried mono amps, so it is an Amplifier "voiced" with Wilson Audio, means the combination is a natural good blend.

I still love Horns Speakers and finally I will get in my Music room another "bigger" Horn system, but until I can afford this dream, I will try different smaller Horn systems in one of my other
(and smaller rooms)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing