Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Looks like you've taken a massive swig of that old Koolaid Bob. How about reading this one, written by the most decorated Marine in US history. If you read it you might just possibly gain a different perspective on war :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/War-Racket-Profit-Motive-Warfare/dp/1434407004/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1531104588&sr=1-1

This can't be, America is a diplomatic and democratic country, an economic super power. They work to make it great. ...Just like Russia, China, Canada, Mexico, Nicaragua, Venezuela, ...

I will read Jeff's book first, then yours Richard.
I want to know if the world will go all electric by the next hundred years.
And how many years in jail each country they will put people cut driving gasoline cars.? https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science...scare-prompts-calls-new-air-conditioning/amp/

Us we'll be sitting atop the clouds of the heavens, and that's just fine.

Last edited:

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I take it he took as his definition of 'fascism' that of Mussolini - 'the merger of state and corporate power'.

Opus,
Using Mussolini's description, wouldn't you describe modern day China as the apex of fascism? China uses it's government spy networks and hacker groups to steal intellectual property, and then funnels it to Chinese based corporations. Xi's really putting Hitler to shame on this front.

Please burn your computer after reading this.

opus112

Feb 24, 2016
Zhejiang
Using Mussolini's description, wouldn't you describe modern day China as the apex of fascism?

No, I wouldn't. Its clear here that the dog (state) wags the tail (corporations) so there's no actual merging of power.

OTOH on your side of the Pacific there's a distinct lack of clarity where state ends and corporations begin, which is by design.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
No, I wouldn't. Its clear here that the dog (state) wags the tail (corporations) so there's no actual merging of power.

OTOH on your side of the Pacific there's a distinct lack of clarity where state ends and corporations begin, which is by design.

100% incorrect. With the death of Mao, and more importantly the death of Mao Zedong Thought, a decisively fascist state has grown in its place. The dictator Xi is the logical conclusion of that march toward fascism. Great article for you to read though your VPN.

https://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/01/world/asia/01iht-letter01.html

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
From the 'free press' 'newspaper of record' ? LOL.

A person in a fascist government (that kills or locks up journalists) saying that the USA doesn't have a free press. I love the irony. Please, give us more chuckles.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Last edited:

opus112

Feb 24, 2016
Zhejiang
Bob, you forgot something else that was always on that tape - '.... the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions.'

Never underestimate the power of denial. ;)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Richard, I recently revisited this flick, on 4K Blu-ray...it's my favorite of the series.

It's an interesting and fun discussion too, starting with a book about general Robert Lee, statues, erasing history, heroes, traitors, the full canopy of world's war and peace. ...And Mission Impossible. :D

We are making history right now; they won't make statues of me, you, Jeff, etc.
And there's a guy right now with few towers, I don't even know if there are statues of him ... but I think they'll go down in history if there are.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
One of the inherent problems with the current Orwellian infatuation with only seeing history with the current lens of postmodern thought is where to stop? Do you destroy all the federal buildings in West Virginia named for former Klansman Harry Byrd? Do we level the remaining Greek and Roman ruins because they were slaveholders? There is great danger is severing the present from the past; one of the reasons I enjoy reading history and biographies. By our natures, we are imperfect and products of our times.

I missed this post of yours jazdoc. I couldn't agree more. Point is dead on!

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I just finished reading about him on wiki.
He was a sunnabaggun, a traitor, a low life.
This guy doesn't deserve any statue.
Still, he's part of American history, and Canadian history too...unfortunately.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benedict_Arnold

Eh I hate to tell you BUT there are many memorials to his bravery, courage and sacrifice in Saratoga as well as further north. Without that "low life", the American Traitors may not have won the Revolutionary War. Should we rip down those tributes? Don't forget Franklin's famous words regarding their treason ""We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." Also let's not forget that Franklin was dead set against the Revolution until the very end when he was rebuked by the Crown because he thought it too far out to revolt and that it was treasonous.

What you guys are missing is the tearing down of monuments that are already up denoting our historical figures, good or bad and as jazdoc and I pointed out when and where do you stop. We are not talking about putting new monuments but tearing down what exists. You refuse to answer that simple question other than with platitudes about "decency, blah, blah".

There are many statues and memorials to the "brave men and figures" at Confederate battlefields. Are those museums? Should they be torn down? Are they offensive because they represent a horrible time in American history? Now you have people going after our Founders and Framers who want to rip apart the Jefferson Memorial and change the name of or rip down the Washington Memorial. You have lunatics who want to eliminate all recognition of Jefferson at UVA, including his many statues, memorials and plaques as well as rename buildings. Should we tear out the many foreign plants and trees he planted on the campus? You have lunatics who want to shut down Monticello and Mt. Vernon; are those museums that should be allowed to exist or because they are offensive to some be torn down as other memorials are being torn down. Without getting into politics any further, one thing I have learned about this kind of behavior is that where it begins is never the intention of where these maniacs want to end. They have no intention of placing any of this in museums as they are already calling for the destruction of what many of us refer to as museums.

Again, answer the very specific question regarding Grant to put a face and name to a Northern Hero General, regarded as responsible for turning the tide of the Civil War. One of the most if not the most anti-Semitic leader of the north during (and after) the Civil War, with General Order No 11 as well including his anti-Semitic rhetoric. Why not tear down Grants tomb and like Horatio Gates move his remains to an unmarked grave in Trinity Church. How about Lincoln, who as a youngster took part in a battle against Native Americans and actually had many campaigns against the same during his presidency responsible for the massacre of many innocents. Or all the other historical figures that did unacceptable acts; surely none are as egregious as FDR's internment of Japanese-Americans.

In an effort to be politically correct, you guys can't even understand history, the effects the good and bad have had on our or any heritage for that matter, how to define what constitutes a memorial or a museum so how are you going to be the arbiters of "whats acceptable". There have been many regimes in past history that thought they knew what was acceptable and they all turned into fascists or dictatorial regimes.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I missed this post of yours jazdoc. I couldn't agree more. Point is dead on!

I too agree because the past is the history reminder of all things and people...from the very worst (bad) to the very best (good).

The good we are proud of, and it's a good feel to honor.
The bad we remember, we are not proud, those are just dead relics without honor.

Should we tear down and burn every monument and building that represent bad?
It's up to the people, nobody else. Me, I would use those buildings and transform them as jails for today's criminals. I would use the criminals to transform them, their labor, in exchange for room and board.
I would make them to rebuild old bridges, highways, ...and use those paychecks to pay the guards and the building maintenance.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing