jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I want to read this book. I can't because I am a product of the education system.
Is this book an exception to the re against politics?
Bryan Caplan is an adjunct scholar at the CATO Institute, a conservative think tank. His field is economics. If you enjoy right wing propaganda, read on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Coimbra

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
I want to read this book. I can't because I am a product of the education system.
Is this book an exception to the re against politics?
Bryan Kaplan is an adjunct scholar at the CATO Institute, a conservative think tank. His field is economics. If you enjoy right wing propaganda, read on.

I heard him on Russ Roberts' EconTalk podcast and found it intriguing. https://www.econtalk.org/bryan-caplan-on-the-case-against-education/#audio-highlights

"Imagine this stark dilemma: you can have either a Princeton education without a diploma, or a Princeton diploma without an education. Which gets you further on the job market? For a human capital purist, the answer is obvious: four years of training are vastly preferable to a page of paper. But try saying that with a straight face. Sensible versions of the signaling model don't imply the diploma is clearly preferable; after all, Princeton teaches some useful skills. But you need signaling to explain why choosing between an education and a diploma is a head-scratcher rather than a no-brainer."

Struck a chord as the parent of a current Vanderbilt undergrad double majoring in Art History and Religious Studies...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Politics are allowed regardless of merit
Such is the nature of co te t based ensorship.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Hmm... I wonder why he chose Princeton
as an example? Could it be a liberal institution? Could the not so subtle ..message be you don't have to attend a liberal institution to get a quality education? There sterling reputation is an unexpected unnecessary plus?
Again. Politics.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Hmm... I wonder why he chose Princeton
as an example? Could it be a liberal institution? Could the not so subtle ..message be you don't have to attend a liberal institution to get a quality education? There sterling reputation is an unexpected unnecessary plus?
Again. Politics.

Or perhaps that's where he earned his Phd....

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I would expect Mr. Caplan benefits mightily from putting Princeton University on his C.V.

Last edited:

MrAudioFederation

Kind of like asking "what gets you further through immigration, having a U.S. passport or being a U.S. Citizen?". This "baffling with B.S." approach is like, oh, I don't know, "perfect sound" because the specs say 0.00001% harmonic distortion? I.E. this is just "lying" by another name, choosing to ignore a vast amount of ancillary information to sell a false conclusion [in this case, 100s of years of effort to certify that someone having the piece of paper when they apply for the job, enter into the country is legit]. So what people have done in response to this kind of marketing is to create forums like this so we can discuss all that other data and form a more workable hypothesis and how to evaluate A, B or C with respect to our preferences. And... Happy New Year, everybody! :)

MrAudioFederation

On a more practical note.... I just got these for Neli for Christmas. What is better than an audiophile spouse? Nuthin'.

Reactions: Gregadd

MrAudioFederation

The second book - didn't show up in the previous post ... tube-testers-book.jpg

Reactions: Gregadd

Joe P

May 11, 2019
Top 5 Best Books Of 2019

Mr Rickz

Dec 26, 2019
Southern California
99% True...almost a national bestseller. -- Paul McGowan

rando

Sep 22, 2019
The Federalist Papers is next on my stack after this is finished.

[Edit: I see a volcano in the Philippines is looking angry right now. Actually since Sunday. Wishing the best for those faced with the uncertainty of this event.]

Last edited:
Reactions: jazdoc and jeff1225

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
The Federalist Papers! Good choice. Might get on my list soon. I just received this book today.

51ELkO9w2dL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

FYI, Scruton died last Sunday. This was from an obituary in the WSJ:

Three thinkers defined conservatism in the 20th century: Russell Kirk, Michael Oakeshott and Scruton. Kirk (1918-94) laid the intellectual foundations of modern American conservatism but is little known outside the U.S. Oakeshott (1901-90) was an academic philosopher, so he remained obscure even in his native Britain. Scruton was both academic and thinker—a rare combination these days—and was read across the English-speaking world and beyond. Only William F. Buckley Jr. commanded so wide an audience. But none of these men had both Scruton’s intellectual range and literary style.

Reactions: jeff1225

ptman

Dec 23, 2011
St. Louis, MO
1973 Rock at the Crossroads. Exploration of many of the albums and events of 1973 and the effect they had on future music and events.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
The Federalist Papers! Good choice. Might get on my list soon. I just received this book today.

View attachment 60708

Three thinkers defined conservatism in the 20th century: Russell Kirk, Michael Oakeshott and Scruton. Kirk (1918-94) laid the intellectual foundations of modern American conservatism but is little known outside the U.S. Oakeshott (1901-90) was an academic philosopher, so he remained obscure even in his native Britain. Scruton was both academic and thinker—a rare combination these days—and was read across the English-speaking world and beyond. Only William F. Buckley Jr. commanded so wide an audience. But none of these men had both Scruton’s intellectual range and literary style.

I watch William F. Buckley's interviews on Youtube. We sorely miss this open dialog in today's society.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England

View attachment 60708

You want to catch up w The Spectator misfired attempt to take Scruton down last year. Only by scrupulous adherence to the truth did his reputation get restored from a modern day hatchet job. It speaks highly of Scruton that the left needed to employ this tactic. Douglas Murray was his champion, and v good friend.

Scruton passing is a milestone. His like will never be seen again. Check out the risks he took in sneaking into Iron Curtain-era Czechoslovakia and teaching the message of liberty. A hero.

Neil Peart and Roger Scruton in the same month. Can't imagine it.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing