What's Next for the Magico M Series?

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
Following the introduction of the M9, what do folks think will be Magico's most likely next move in the M Series product line? There seem to be a few logical possibilities. Both the M3 and M6 getting longer in the tooth, and while these remain wonderful speakers in both cases, the M3s cabinet and driver design lag well behind that of the M6, M2 and M9, and the M6 driver designs have been surpassed by the M9 and even (in some respects) the A5. Accordingly, updates of one or both of these models would seem to make sense at some point in (the not too distant?) future.

In addition, there are now pretty decent sized gaps in the price points between the M3 and M6, and between the M6 and the M9. Will we see the introduction of a new M5 and/or an M7 (or M8)? What about an M1 stand mounted monitor?

Personally, as the owner of M Pros, I would be very interested in either an updated M6 or a new M5, but would be interested to hear what others would like to see, or think we will see, next from Magico in its M Series product line. Whatever it ends up being, Alon and team are to be commended for their relentless pursuit of improvements in sealed box dynamic speaker design, even when it means disrupting their existing products.

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
I have been thinking quite a bit about this thread. I don’t work in manufacturing or engineering and I’m not a businessperson so I probably have no idea what I’m talking about.

First, I think Magico decides what products to push out probably based on:
  1. What products need to be replaced since they can no longer get the parts
  2. What products would sell better if they’re replaced
  3. What products already sell well and would continue to sell well with replacement
  4. What market segment are they not covering so they need a product to pick up more sales
  5. What products can be replaced with a lot of synergy by using existing but newer parts
So specifically to OP’s original discussion about M series upgrades, I really don’t see Magico finding a need to come up with a speaker in a price range between M3 and M6 or between M6 and M9. To me, at these prices, M6 & M9 are probably Veblen goods. For example, I can’t afford them even if they push out an M5 or M7 with prices in between. So I suspect the buying decision is based on whether the speakers would fit into the home, rather than the price. Similarly, I don’t think the demand is there for an M1.

Another interesting aspect to me was that when I was first introduced to Magico almost a decade ago, I remember mostly seeing S3/S5 sized speakers. But lately on social media, I’m mostly seeing A3/A5/S1/M2. It makes me wonder if the buying trends for speakers is gearing more towards smaller products that fit in smaller homes.

So specifically to the M series, I agree that the M3 is really the odd product out because of the older design. But I’m not sure what it’ll be replaced with because I presume the replacement would demand a similar small design.

From a trickle down technology standpoint, it makes a lot of sense that the M6 would get the aluminum honeycomb core diaphragms from the M9 and the A5. But the M9 & A5 drivers are 6”, 11”, 15” and 9” respectively whereas the M6 are 6” and 10.5”. In the past, Magico has never upgraded a speaker where it allows the previous owners to exchange the drivers for a fee. Any upgrades seem to be a complete re-design. Would the new Magico M6 Mk II feature 6” & three 9” drivers or two/three 11” drivers to simplify manufacturing and share with existing drivers? As I doubt it would have 6” and 10.5” drivers. Either way, I’m sure the Magico M6 Mk II would be quite a bit more expensive than the current M6.

But looking at the whole Magico lines, I’m not sure that the M series is the one that needs a full revamp any time soon. The A-series and M-series are already using 1.1” tweeters whereas the S-series is still using 1” tweeters. If my suspicion that smaller speaker sizes like the A3/A5/M2 are selling well, what is needed is a smaller S3. So I can see either a S3 Mk III using smaller but more drivers or simply an S2 to cover that market and then a slow upgrade of the entire S series speakers to the 1.1” tweeter and the aluminum honeycomb core diaphragms for the larger drivers. At one point, they might sprinkle in an M-series upgrade. But I really doubt M-series upgrades is a high priority for Magico.

Of course this is all speculation and for fun. Only Magico knows what Magico will do.

Reactions: Skanda and gds7368

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I really enjoyed my Magico mini two and Q3 speakers. I also really like my friends M pro speakers. I would love to see Magico develop a new line of high efficiency designs, say 100 DB eight ohm loads so that one could use a greater variety of amps like First Watt or SETs but I do not see that happening anytime soon.

Reactions: sujay

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
I have been thinking quite a bit about this thread. I don’t work in manufacturing or engineering and I’m not a businessperson so I probably have no idea what I’m talking about.

3. What products already sell well and would continue to sell well with replacement
  4. What market segment are they not covering so they need a product to pick up more sales
  5. What products can be replaced with a lot of synergy by using existing but newer parts
So specifically to OP’s original discussion about M series upgrades, I really don’t see Magico finding a need to come up with a speaker in a price range between M3 and M6 or between M6 and M9. To me, at these prices, M6 & M9 are probably Veblen goods. For example, I can’t afford them even if they push out an M5 or M7 with prices in between. So I suspect the buying decision is based on whether the speakers would fit into the home, rather than the price. Similarly, I don’t think the demand is there for an M1.

Another interesting aspect to me was that when I was first introduced to Magico almost a decade ago, I remember mostly seeing S3/S5 sized speakers. But lately on social media, I’m mostly seeing A3/A5/S1/M2. It makes me wonder if the buying trends for speakers is gearing more towards smaller products that fit in smaller homes.

So specifically to the M series, I agree that the M3 is really the odd product out because of the older design. But I’m not sure what it’ll be replaced with because I presume the replacement would demand a similar small design.

From a trickle down technology standpoint, it makes a lot of sense that the M6 would get the aluminum honeycomb core diaphragms from the M9 and the A5. But the M9 & A5 drivers are 6”, 11”, 15” and 9” respectively whereas the M6 are 6” and 10.5”. In the past, Magico has never upgraded a speaker where it allows the previous owners to exchange the drivers for a fee. Any upgrades seem to be a complete re-design. Would the new Magico M6 Mk II feature 6” & three 9” drivers or two/three 11” drivers to simplify manufacturing and share with existing drivers? As I doubt it would have 6” and 10.5” drivers. Either way, I’m sure the Magico M6 Mk II would be quite a bit more expensive than the current M6.

But looking at the whole Magico lines, I’m not sure that the M series is the one that needs a full revamp any time soon. The A-series and M-series are already using 1.1” tweeters whereas the S-series is still using 1” tweeters. If my suspicion that smaller speaker sizes like the A3/A5/M2 are selling well, what is needed is a smaller S3. So I can see either a S3 Mk III using smaller but more drivers or simply an S2 to cover that market and then a slow upgrade of the entire S series speakers to the 1.1” tweeter and the aluminum honeycomb core diaphragms for the larger drivers. At one point, they might sprinkle in an M-series upgrade. But I really doubt M-series upgrades is a high priority for Magico.

Of course this is all speculation and for fun. Only Magico knows what Magico will do.
ecwl, what an interesting and thoughtful response! I had not given much thought to the parts utilization question, but of course it makes a lot of sense. Porche pulled itself out of economic downfall by using as many parts as possible in both the early Boxers and the then current 911, greatly improving their economies of scale. And it does seem that Magico has done that to a certain extent as well over the years, with a number of parts showing up in different models. At the same time, Alon and team seem to have been more than willing to continuously innovate on both driver technology and cabinet technology in ways that I would imagine have been somewhat at odds with that practice.

I certainly understand the need to provide what the market demands in terms of speaker footprint as well. I have a pretty decent sized, purpose built, dedicated room (~ 26 x 19 x 10.5) and the M Pros or M6s are about as large as I would want to go, even in that room. So, I am not the least bit surprised that they sell a lot of M3s and M2s (and S3s and A3s, and Q3s while they were current). But, I think a new M5, based on the latest cabinet and driver technologies, and sized between the M3 and the M6 might do pretty well, might even outperform the M6 in some important ways and have enough bass for most applications. I agree that something larger than the M6 would have a pretty limited market, due to both cost and size.

gds7368

VIP/Donor
Jan 9, 2015

I thought Q7 owners could upgrade for $44k to Mk2?

Your point is well taken that by and large upgrades of Magico speakers aren’t available. Would be great if current Ms would upgrade to the new M9 drivers, assuming they sounded better.

Last edited:

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
With the release of the 2023 S3, I've been thinking about this thread again.
On one hand, I suspect the logical thing for Magico to do, would probably be to update their S5/S7 next because they would probably sell more?

But from a parts utilization perspective, and the fact that M3 is the only M series speaker without a monocoque, it would make sense to replace the M3 with the A5/2023 S3 design by having a new M series speaker between M2 & M6 where you have the 1.1" diamond-coated beryllium tweeter, the new 5" aluminum honeycomb enforced graphene midrange and two or three of the new aluminum honeycomb enforced graphene 9" woofer.

A 2023 M3 with two 9" woofer would make a lot of sense except some customers who ordered the 2023 S3 might get slightly upset even if the two products are in completely different price categories.

The alternative of a new M series with three 9" woofers would also make sense except it would have to be quite a bit bigger than the current M3 and I presume some customers are still ordering M3's because of their size so Magico would be stuck still making M3's for those customers?

I'm glad I have a pseudo-salaried job where I don't have to make these business decisions.

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Only one thing is certain.

Excessive price increases ;)

Reactions: Asa

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing