What's Spinning Tonight?

Garland Jeffreys, "I'm Alive", Redbook.
I%27mAlive-M.jpg

One of my all-time favorites; who should be much more appreciated!! Saw him back in the day in Denver in 1982(?) - he killed it.
Still have Ghost Writer and Escape Artist on Vinyl; sadly, missing the additional EP included with Escape Artist.
Often though about getting this CD. Maybe I should.

Redbook
LAP1056-45.jpg

? The musicians are in top shape; the acoustic bass sounds wild. The tuba, sublime. The piano, present. ...Underrated, very.

One of my all-time favorites; who should be much more appreciated!! Saw him back in the day in Denver in 1982(?) - he killed it.
Still have Ghost Writer and Escape Artist on Vinyl; sadly, missing the additional EP included with Escape Artist.
Often though about getting this CD. Maybe I should.

I recommend this one, as it was originally released for Europe, not the States and has his three most popular songs on it.

My original issue Mercury buying binge continues. These are all phenomenal recordings and performances.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 202
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 200
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 208
853guy, would you mind giving a brief description about the artists/music you've listed. Intriguing cover art for them, but unfortunately, I'm not familiar with any of the artists. Is the music jazz, world, what? In the meantime, I'll do some internet searches. Thanks!

Hey slowGEEZER,

Sure, of course. Like many here, I have a rather peripatetic approach to music. Lately (as can be seen), i’ve been exploring the works on two labels that I had only vaguely been aware of, Line and Home Normal. If I find an artist I like I try and explore the other artists on it, and I’ve found - especially on smaller more boutique labels - that there’s usually a greater level of curation that goes on often resulting in a more consistent quality to the albums overall (not always true of course). One of the things I’ve personally benefitted form with the gradual democratisation of the music industry over the last twenty years is that smaller labels often thrive by doing one thing well, taking advantage of the digitisation of media, and eschewing the need to recoup upfront investment in an artist (there is none). Line and Home Normal are tiny, tiny labels, but by taking advantage of the long tails of the bell curve (relative to Bieber and Adele who take up a disproportionate amount of the middle), they manage to eek out a modest existence for music outside the mainstream. So, aside from the fact I happen to like their work (mostly), it’s also great to support the little guy and see the proceeds go directly back to the artist, who in a lot of cases, is also the label.

I guess loosely, they both concern themselves with artists producing work under the “ambient/electronic/minimalism/microsound/field recordings/sound installation”. Line is run by Richard Chartier, who is himself a prolific composer, and has assembled a really impressive collection of artists for his label. Home Normal is operated out of Japan, and interestingly, has focussed on releasing small runs of physical media, often with hand-crafted packaging. (And yeah, I love the cover art too.)

I could try and describe the work, but it’s difficult to peg down exactly. It won’t amuse those looking for melodic and rhythmic progressions, and likely alienate those looking for “songs”. I think what I like about it so much is that there’s a wonderful sense of waiting that becomes a sort of tarrying presence in the gradual shifting and modulation of texture and tone over time. I think the cliche is that it would be music that “rewards the patient listener”.

https://lineimprint.bandcamp.com

http://homenormal.com

853guy

My original issue Mercury buying binge continues. These are all phenomenal recordings and performances.

Christian, nice. What pressing numbers on those Merc's? The Starker looks to be an earlier pressing than the other two. Do you own an original of HP's favorite yet...Hi Fi A La Espanola?

Christian, nice. What pressing numbers on those Merc's? The Starker looks to be an earlier pressing than the other two. Do you own an original of HP's favorite yet...Hi Fi A La Espanola?
SR90405 RFR1/RFR8 Starker
SR90393 RFR1/RFR1
SR90308 RFR3/RFR3

The biggest revelation for listening to my original mercury records is going off RIAA eq and dropping the 500Hz RIAA turnover down to 400Hz. Dropping the roll-off from -13.7dB to -12dB really opens up the record (Old AES eq setting). I don't have -12dB roll-off but do have -11dB. Merc's played back in full RIAA just don't sound as natural and open. Try it if you can adjust your eq curve.

SR90405 RFR1/RFR8 Starker
SR90393 RFR1/RFR1
SR90308 RFR3/RFR3

The biggest revelation for listening to my original mercury records is going off RIAA eq and dropping the 500Hz RIAA turnover down to 400Hz. Dropping the roll-off from -13.7dB to -12dB really opens up the record (Old AES eq setting). I don't have -12dB roll-off but do have -11dB. Merc's played back in full RIAA just don't sound as natural and open. Try it if you can adjust your eq curve.

Thanks, that's very interesting. I cannot change the RIAA eq, but I have heard from a few other A'philes the same thing as you posted. I have also heard that it does depend to a great deal on the playback gear as well, with a tube set up in the preamp and amp section, some of these guys have told me that they hear far less benefit to changing the RIAA than with a ss set up....particularly in the amp stage!
So, apparently if the amp is a ss amp or both preamp and amp are ss, then one can hear a larger benefit. I have never done this myself as the ability to modify the RIAA curve is not possible with my gear.
I wonder if Wilma Cozart Fine was listening to a tube set up and that is why we have the sound that we do...I'm pretty sure she was.

Do you own an original of HP's favorite yet...Hi Fi A La Espanola?

I do...FR1/FR1 in basically mint playback condition...no ticks, pops or other noise issues. $499.00 at auction not too long ago....I can see why it's an HP favorite. Love that record !!!

I do...FR1/FR1 in basically mint playback condition...no ticks, pops or other noise issues. $499.00 at auction not too long ago....I can see why it's an HP favorite. Love that record !!!

I don't own this LP, but apparently it was HP's favorite Merc and maybe favorite piece overall. Interestingly, I have also heard that the music leads a lot to be desired and that the SQ can be bettered by other Merc's???

I don't own this LP, but apparently it was HP's favorite Merc and maybe favorite piece overall. Interestingly, I have also heard that the music leads a lot to be desired and that the SQ can be bettered by other Merc's???

Happy Birthday Davey!

It's awesome in every way.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu