What's Spinning Tonight?

I can get enough of this new discovery. Skip Spence's OAR from 1969.

Simply jaw dropping album!

I want you guys to do something for me.

I want you to look up Kate Havnevik, click on her "You" album (it's on Qobuz only unfortunately) and go to track 11 (the last track) called "Tears In Rain". Play it at whatever volume you want and preferably with your eyes closed.

It's 4 AM here and I'm playing it at an average volume of around 56 dB, with peaks up around 63 dB. There's a steel drum played by hands and what sounds like a ball bouncing on it that gets very deep and very wide sounding, something that sounds like a pan flute (very woody and wispy sounding), some weird saxophone sounding thing, very clean, very light, very delicate bells, a piano, and Kate's voice smack in the middle, about a foot above and behind the speakers.

The entire album is excellent, but I have replayed this last track probably a dozen times in a row now. It's sending chills down my spine every time! I even have goosebumps!

As I said, the bells are very quiet and delicate, but also very clear and airy. The steel drum, you can actually "feel" the flesh of their fingers tapping on the steel. Even when the ball or whatever is bouncing on the steel drum, it's very tactile. Kate's voice and that pan flute, it's almost as if you can lean forward, reach out and touch them. They seem to occupy the same space, with the steel drum just behind her.

Please, give it a listen and tell me what you hear and what you think. It's been a long time since I've heard a new-ish album sound this good and with good music to go with it.

Terrific post...maybe ( just saying...IMO) the best posting on this thread for months! Wakes you up. Thx.

You're welcome!

If you ask me, that was their only good album along with only one other song they did, "She Sells Sanctuary". The rest of their stuff, not so much.

Last edited:
Prince - Purple Rain - 2017 KG vinyl remaster. 4 years since Prince died - WOW. gone so fast - miss him dearly. RIP musical legend.

The Cure, Kiss Me a double LP

Double LP with solid orange/red cover The Best of the Crusaders.

Croaker on 180 gram vinyl.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing