What's Spinning Tonight?

Thor Gustavsen Trio - Being There - ECM 2017 (just buy it!) tracks 4, 8 and 10 brought tears to my face....

Paul Motian Trio - Lost in a Dream - ECM 2128
Manu Katche - Neighbourhood - ECM 1896
Mingus Big Band - Live at Jazz Standard - Indie

An ECM recording was also playing in my system until a few minutes ago : Anouar Brahem - "Le pas du chat noir" (The black cat footsteps) . Later today "The Astounding Eyes of Rita" will follow.

ECM is not just great recordings IMO, but also an exquisite selection of artists, both in CD and Vinyl these sound great.

Well..I had a long session last night trying the Sonus Faber Extremas lended from the local dealer down here (customer trade-in), I remember spinning:

Nathalie Merchant - Tigerlily - both 180 gms and CD
Antonio Forcione - Live - Naim CD
Doug MacLoud - You can't take my blues - JVC HDCD
Nirvana - Unplugged in New York - CD
Alice in Chains - MTV unplugged
Avishai Cohen - Live in The Blue Note
Kashnir - Zilities

Among others... ;)

Enjoying the Blues today, Muddy Waters - Folk Singer; T-Bone Walker - The Best of the Black and White and Imperial Years; Albert King - I'll Play The Blues For You.

Dan

Patricia Barber - Verse - OMR 180 gms
Clark Terry and Friends - Chesky - 180 gms
Mighty Sam McClain - Audioquest CD
Avishai Cohen - Flood

Doug MacLeod - Come to find - JVC xrcd
Andreas Vollenweider - Behind The Gardens - LP VerAbra Records
B&W - Very Audiophile New Recordings LP

Keith Jarret- Whisper Not - ECM 1724
Steve Kuhn - Life's Glances - ECM 2090
Avishai Cohen - Flood- ANZ5102
Michael Buble - Crazy Love
Katie Malua - the house - Dramatico

Ray Montford - Shed Your Skin

Slick, mostly acoustic instrumentals with a world-music flavor. Someone brought this to a subwoofer shootout session a buddy of mine had in his HT yesterday and Wow! Not just because the first cut makes for a nice subwoofer workout, either. ;-)

Black Light Syndrome, horrible name (it's actually Bozzio, Levins, Stevens) but great 90's Prog.

I also have a new album from Dave Getz, Can't Be the Only One, (drummer for Big Brother and the Holding Co) where he has done a song written by Janis Joplin......on a napkin that he hung on to until he got the arrangement the way he thought she would have done it.

Us Bay Area WBF members know Black Light Syndrome quite well, since we use BLS music regularly at our meetings to showcase/test a stereo system.

Albert King - I'll Play The Blues For You

Rickie Lee Jones - Rickie Lee Jones

Both on the little silver discs tonight

Dan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing