When a Tweak becomes something more

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Nothing in any of my posts says or implies that I am interested in a “particular type of sound”, nor did I dismiss all industrial cables-just the ones I’ve heard-including Ching Cheng. However it stands to reason, and my ears confirm, that cables designed and optimized for audio are going to sound more like music than cables designed for appliances, computers, etc. Again, I expressed curiosity as to whether or not there were particular Ching Cheng cables that were preferred by WBF posters since the ones I’d heard sounded like crap. That’s it. I am not searching for cables. I have optimized power cables for each individual component and am happy with the full loom which provides extraordinarily resolving and natural sound.

It sounds like you’re very happy with what you have. There is a particular Ching Cheng power cord that some members here and elsewhere use in their systems. There is a photograph and model designation further up the thread. It is no longer being made. You could try to contact some of the people who have them to see if anyone is willing to send you one to audition to satisfy your curiosity. Alternatively, someone might invite you to hear his system and you can bring your cable and compare them. This is how I’ve heard my cables in various systems and other cables in my system.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
It sounds like you’re very happy with what you have. There is a particular Ching Cheng power cord that some members here and elsewhere use in their systems. There is a photograph and model designation further up the thread. It is no longer being made. You could try to contact some of the people who have them to see if anyone is willing to send you one to audition to satisfy your curiosity. Alternatively, someone might invite you to hear his system and you can bring your cable and compare them. This is how I’ve heard my cables in various systems and other cables in my system.
Thanks-but it is not that important to me. I was just curious.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I still have the Oyaide in place to my phono. I am very happy. Oddly, this power supply tweak, as well as the Deoxit has helped my Allnic H1201 get to a place I am not so dissatisfied with. I am not in such a rush to change it out. Its surprising how much the wire in the wall and the cord matter. But they do. I will put the CC back into play in a couple days to get a better feel what it brings. At the moment they are both back on the tape deck to the outboard NAB/IEC/preamp.

jerrybj

Feb 27, 2022
New Zealand
Maybe the more important question is, where do you start. What really matters. What do you have to have because it's a foundation to good sound. A fuse????.

Going backwards, here are recent purchases which could be/have been significant in their improvement of my system.
Some are components, some tweaks, some cables.

1. Audience AU24Sx AES/EBU cable (to arrive)
2. Auditorium 23 speaker cables and jumper cables (to arrive)
3. Audio GD DI-20HE DDC - a rather large step
4. LHY OCK-1 master clock - 7 days on it, but to be evaluated
5. Gustard C2 clock cable (to arrive)
6. Gustard A22 Dac with Coherent Systems mods (to arrive)
7. Cisco SG110D-08 network switch with Fidelity Audio C4Mk2 clock - a large step
8. Triode Wire Labs Freedom ethernet cables
9. Akiko Audio Fuse Box Pro - in place
10. Mad Scientist Black Magic Ultra USB cable - a good step
11. Add Powr Symphony Pro/EAU2 (to be evaluated)
12. Pink Faun Lan Isolator and Acoustic Revive RL1 Lan Isolator
13. Synergistic Research Purple/Orange fuses to amp, Dac, power supplies

The Audio GD DI-20HE DDC and LHY OCK-1 master clock will end up with Coherent Systems mods.

Perhaps will be unable to ascertain the effect of the Akiko Audio Fuse Box Pro, as it is in place.
All others can be removed to decide how they affect my system and if I like what these differences are.
So far the best recent purchases are the Audio GD DI-20HE DDC and the Cisco SG110D-08 network switch with Fidelity Audio C4Mk2 clock.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Its surprising how much the wire in the wall and the cord matter. But they do.
If the equipment in your system employs no feedback it will be far more sensitive to things like this than if the various components use a lot. Feedback if properly used will allow the equipment to reject lots of influences; you need a lot of feedback for this to be so. My understanding is that the equipment you tend to use is on the lower/zero feedback side of things.

The amount of power drawn seems to make a difference as well. Power cords, AC outlets and the like really affect our MA-1 amplifier (a triode, class A2 OTL) a lot, which draws a lot of power and is zero feedback. But they hardly affect our class D amp at all, which makes about the same power but draws significantly less power and employs a lot of feedback.

If people are not paying attention to the issue of power draw and feedback used (as well as power supply regulation) then something like a power cord will have highly variable results depending on the system. I just thought you might like to know why those differences can be so profound.

Reactions: PYP

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
It's always going to be a bit of a WAG whether or not one can hear a guaranteed improvement following someone else's guidance, . . .

What is a “WAG”?

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
A WAG is a "Wild Ass Guess" in software dev parlance. Probably used in other areas too. Sorry for the jargon!

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
I have a couple of those Ching Chen cords, purchased back in the day from the right sources, the ones with the clear plug. They did sound neutral but were nothing special, did not soundstage or have depth. The one advantage I found with them was that they were a bit lean in the bass, but very taught and tight showing off the shape of the bass well. So they found a home powering some dual subwoofers I had, where those qualities were a good fit. These days they power a couple of non-music PCs.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing