When a Tweak becomes something more

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Well my second test had only annoyed me in that a $700 x 5 tape copy of The Nutcracker is muffled and flat. I knew it was not the best. Listening again, I now know its not so good.

I can't evaluate anything under these conditions.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I pulled out a.second copy of the same master. Much better. Still, my vinyl Antal Dorati Nutcracker is the best copy I have.

Anyhow. General feeling similar to last. CC is freah. CC had a nice flow. My other Akiko and home made are a little warmer. Maybe a tad less clear.

I am going to leave the tape with the CC in place as I like it better.

Reactions: Lagonda

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
So how many different Ching Cheng PC’s are there, and do they all sound similar? Is there a particular version that is sonically superior to the others?

Ching Cheng is a very large maker of industrial power cords. The power cords that
came with my Lamm gear are made by CC; thoser are all the same but are not the one I describe below which I use on my phono, linestage and amplifiers.

You can see the current CC product line here:

As far as I know the person who has tried several is David (@ddk); you could ask him. Iirc out of the many he tried he winnowed to one - the one he has recommended. I'm believe that particular model is no longer in production.

Is this the correct Ching Cheng to compare to other cords.... 20221021_112110.jpg 20221021_112022.jpg

The lower picture looks identical to mine. I believe what @PeterA and I have are the same. However the top picture does not have the requisite information. Often a commercial power cord has an identifier embedded on it though small wire may not.

I cannot capture all of the identifier from the CC I use in a photo but here is what it is:

(UL) SJT E162604 12AWGX3C WW-1 75°C CHING CHENG CSA TYPE LL61957 SJT 14AWGX3C 60°C FT2

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC

MIT, transparent, harmonic technology, Zen wave. Also some direct comparisons in my friends system that included Shunyata and one or two others that I can’t remember. We all make our choices.
Yes - it comes down to choice. It is fine if you prefer the sound of the Ching Cheng PC's in your system. However your sample size of "audiophile" power cables is very small and doesn't include a lot of what would be considered by many to represent the "top tier" in power cables today (e.g., any of the PC's that Audio Exotics offers). So I don't see any implications beyond your preferences based on your limited comparisons.

Last edited:
Reactions: hogen

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I took the CC from the image above and plugged it into my Allnic H1201. I let it run for 4 or 5 hours.

I sat down with a new issue of Joni Mitchel Blue.

The CC was plugged into a power strip wired with Oyaide to a Hubbell 5362 industrial duplex with heavy brass backstrqp.

It was compared to 10 awg TEW twisted and pulled in steel to a box with 12 awg TEW twisted, mylar wrap, silver drain and basic brass female end. The 10 and 12 are wire nutted together.

The CC is better. A little more clean in a good way. A little more breath of life.

The differences are close, but heard. I felt myself keep gravitating to the CC.

I played the 2nd side through with both eating some dinner. Then I began to back to back a couple different songs. One then the other. I kept finding the CC chain to grab my attention.

FWIW I like solid branch wire. This test is polluted as the main trunk was shielded/solid Oyaide compared to Stranded TEW in a steel pipe. A big fundimental branch difference. I am going to do the same test at the tape dech. That location has an duplex with cords so the only change is the cord from duplex to equipment.

But, it says a lot to me when a cord to duplex beats a wire nut connection.
Rex
Just want to make sure I understand what you are saying. Don't see any mention of "audiophile" PC's that you are comparing the Ching Cheng to. You appear in this post to be comparing the Ching Cheng to your own DIY PC's. Is that correct?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Yes - it comes down to choice. It is fine if you prefer the sound of the Ching Cheng PC's in your system. However your sample size of "audiophile" power cables is very small and doesn't include a lot of what would be considered by many to represent the "top tier" in power cables today (e.g., any of the PC's that Audio Exotics offers). So I don't see any implications beyond your preferences based on your limited comparisons.

No attempt to imply anything beyond my preference. I just wanted to put out a data point in opposition to the other limited comparison shoot out in your link to the other forum and the rather nasty discussion and claims about the CCs being trash. That is all. Those claims, the overall tone, and the hope that people from this forum don’t enter that discussion over there seems rather unpleasant.

Last edited:

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Just want to make sure I understand what you are saying. Don't see any mention of "audiophile" PC's that you are comparing the Ching Cheng to. You appear in this post to be comparing the Ching Cheng to your own DIY PC's. Is that correct?
Exactly. The other listen I posted about uses an Akiko, and another home made cable.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I
Ching Cheng is a very large maker of industrial power cords. The power cords that
came with my Lamm gear are made by CC; thoser are all the same but are not the one I describe below which I use on my phono, linestage and amplifiers.

As far as I know the person who has tried several is David (@ddk); you could ask him. Iirc out of the many he tried he winnowed to one - the one he has recommended. I'm believe that particular model is no longer in production.

The lower picture looks identical to mine. I believe what @PeterA and I have are the same. However the top picture does not have the requisite information. Often a commercial power cord has an identifier embedded on it though small wire may not.

I cannot capture all of the identifier from the CC I use in a photo but here is what it is:

(UL) SJT E162604 12AWGX3C WW-1 75°C CHING CHENG CSA TYPE LL61957 SJT 14AWGX3C 60°C FT2
I didn't know if David wanted the particulars printed. These must be the ones from David. The others I have while also 14awg, are not as robust as the one in the photo. . I do have a single from somewhere. It may have come with my espresso machine. Its very heavy and shielded. I also have ones that came from Conrad Johnson. They look like the ones in the picture, but they are much thinner feeling.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC

I'd be curious to try a Ching Cheng PC in my system if I knew it was a specific model/version that WBF posters had found to be superior to the mass of them in sound quality. I've listened to a half dozen or so Ching Cheng PC's over the years in my system. However I did not pay attention to visual differences or model numbers because I viewed them as "throw away" cables (which by the way is what they all sounded like). Several I received along with used components I bought, and several were brought to my home by friends along with components they wanted to try in my system. This included a couple of friends who thought they sounded pretty good, a notion they abandoned once they were able to compare them with the PC's I was using.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
It kind of came to me today the thought that, who gives a hoot about CC cables. There is only 1 person in the world that ownes what can be considered a "vetted " version of the cable. They are not manufactured anymore.

I have another home made power supply that feeds my monoblocks. I am not using the monoblocks and the feed is just sitting there. The feed is Oyaide from my panel up the wall to a box. In the box I split bolted more oyaide to the branch and put a nice Furutec Rhodium female end on it. So its a Oyaide power cable with Furutech end.

Holly mother of god. Why have I not been using this for the last 6 plus months. Its It's amazing. First blush is it far surpasses the CC that is plugged into my power strip that is direct wired to the same type oyaide cable. I am utterly gobsmacked. I have to listen more and really assess. I want to let it settle out as it has not been run in many months. Then reevaluate.
Maybe I sm being taken in by "artificial" atteibutes. Its much more bold and alive. A lot more presence. Its not as "Fresh " as I noted the CC to be. Its like a heaping of body and bluster was added. Meat. I need to asses if it has lost natural and real. I am not sure yet.

I am kind of happy this discussion lead me to try more connection options I have at my disposal. I am now looking at my Dartzeel wondering why its not on the other monoblock plug. There is a second unused terminal there. Not for long.:)

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Well, I know why I don't have the Oyaide to the amp. Oyaide is solid core. Its very hard to manipulate. I will need to move my whole rack to get access to safely contort the wire into place. The phono happened to be in a place that the one end bent to easy.

And the ground is lifted as this is the supply to the Black Shadows that have internal issues.

FWIW, solid is not UL compliant as a power cord. It has to be stranded for flexibility. And this stuff is not flexible at all.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I'd be curious to try a Ching Cheng PC in my system if I knew it was a specific model/version that WBF posters had found to be superior to the mass of them in sound quality. I've listened to a half dozen or so Ching Cheng PC's over the years in my system. However I did not pay attention to visual differences or model numbers because I viewed them as "throw away" cables (which by the way is what they all sounded like).

The same issue obtains with industrial wires for interconnects and speaker cables. Manufacturers such as Mogami, Beldin, Gotham, etc. make hundreds of different cables. Most look plain and similar to one another because they are not fancied up with plugs or the various jewelry collars that seem in style today for audiophile cables. You cannot go by looks to distinquish industrial wires - the key is the model number on the cable jacket, which not the same as the name of the wire.

Audiophile cables need to differentiate themselves from one another and they do that through different looks. They do that through different materials and construction whose choice is explained through marketing verbiage. A few provide measurements or at least the measurements they use to make their claims. There's nothing wrong with that - they are products directed to a certain audience. Industrial wires usually have pretty detailed measurements and that is all - they differentiate themselves that way, assuming the customer has specific electrial specifications he needs the wire to meet. The subjective audiophile does not typically use measurements but assesses by listening.

That makes finding industrial cables suitable for use in our stereo systems a time consuming task with a fair amount of trial and error. Fortunately most are very inexpensive. For speaker cables you can often evaluate and use without termination, which eliminates yet another variable. Over the past year I've experimented with six different wires for IC and speakers. Each has its own characteristics, and I have my preferences. David got me in the ballpark otherwise I wouldn't have known where to start -- he has done the hard work and deserves a ton of credit for that. If you are of a nature to experiment it is a fun experiment to try.

Reactions: Lagonda and dcathro

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
The same issue obtains with industrial wires for interconnects and speaker cables. Manufacturers such as Mogami, Beldin, Gotham, etc. make hundreds of different cables. Most look plain and similar to one another because they are not fancied up with plugs or the various jewelry collars that seem in style today for audiophile cables. You cannot go by looks to distinquish industrial wires - the key is the model number on the cable jacket, which not the same as the name of the wire.

Audiophile cables need to differentiate themselves from one another and they do that through different looks. They do that through different materials and construction whose choice is explained through marketing verbiage. A few provide measurements or at least the measurements they use to make their claims. There's nothing wrong with that - they are products directed to a certain audience. Industrial wires usually have pretty detailed measurements and that is all - they differentiate themselves that way, assuming the customer has specific electrial specifications he needs the wire to meet. The subjective audiophile does not typically use measurements but assesses by listening.

That makes finding industrial cables suitable for use in our stereo systems a time consuming task with a fair amount of trial and error. Fortunately most are very inexpensive. For speaker cables you can often evaluate and use without termination, which eliminates yet another variable. Over the past year I've experimented with six different wires for IC and speakers. Each has its own characteristics, and I have my preferences. David got me in the ballpark otherwise I wouldn't have known where to start -- he has done the hard work and deserves a ton of credit for that. If you are of a nature to experiment it is a fun experiment to try.
I have no interest in industrial cables which based on my experience are not desirable for high end audio use and cannot approach the sound quality I currently enjoy. I merely expressed curiosity regarding the Ching Cheng cables that a handful of WBF posters seem to like since the ones I’d heard weren’t audiophile grade.

Last edited:

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I have no interest in industrial cables which based on my experience are not desirable for high end audio use and cannot approach the sound quality I currently enjoy. I merely expressed curiosity regarding the Ching Cheng cables that a handful of WBF posters seem to like since the ones I’d heard weren’t audiophile grade.

cellcbern, It seems like you are interested in a particular type of sound. To dismiss all industrial wires with such a sweeping statement suggests that you would not like CC cords either. Besides, the ones that some of us use are not audio grade and are no longer available anyway. I think you will be happy to keep searching for the right “audiophile grade” cables that give a particular sound. Good luck.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
cellcbern, It seems like you are interested in a particular type of sound. To dismiss all industrial wires with such a sweeping statement suggests that you would not like CC cords either. Besides, the ones that some of us use are not audio grade and are no longer available anyway. I think you will be happy to keep searching for the right “audiophile grade” cables that give a particular sound. Good luck.

I don't agree that exploring "audiophile" power cables equates to being interested in a particular type of sound any more than liking CC cords. I don't see how your have drawn that conclusion.

To me, CC cords are no different than any other power cord. Some people like the sound and some people don't. They have their own effect on sound just like anything else.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I don't agree that exploring "audiophile" power cables equates to being interested in a particular type of sound any more than liking CC cords. I don't see how your have drawn that conclusion.

To me, CC cords are no different than any other power cord. Some people like the sound and some people don't. They have their own effect on sound just like anything else.

Sure they do, but from my comparisons, it is a matter of degree. Every wire affects what we hear, or do not hear, out of the system. We all acknowledge that.

Do you agree with the outright dismissal of all commercial grade wires because they are not "audiophile grade"? If so, why would one want to do that unless it does not provide one with a particular type of sound. cellcebern seems to be searching for something different, something he calls "audiophile grade". He states that he thinks commercial wires do not seem to give him what he has now from his system. It is his blanket dismissal that separates these types for him.

We all have our biases and our preferences.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Sure they do, but from my comparisons, it is a matter of degree. Every wire affects what we hear out of the system. We all acknowledge that.

Do you agree with the outright dismissal of all commercial grade wires because they are not "audiophile grade"? If so, why would one want to do that unless it does not provide one with a particular type of sound. cellcebern seems to be searching for something different, something he calls "audiophile grade". He states that he thinks commercial wires do not seem to give him what he has now from his system. It is his blanket dismissal that separates these types for him.

We all have our biases and our preferences.

I use some "Jelly Fish" power cords which are commercial / hospital grade and like them so I don't dismiss anything just because it has a label. However, I don't think all commercial grade power cords sound the same.

Deciding that one prefers "audiophile grade" power cords, whatever that actually means, doesn't mean a preference for a particular sound since all these power cords sound different. I have tried a number of these and I don't feel like there is a commonality, sound-wise.

I agree we all have our own biases and preferences. I also think that every component and cord has its own sound. It is just a matter of what you like.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Nothing in any of my posts says or implies that I am interested in a “particular type of sound”, nor did I dismiss all industrial cables-just the ones I’ve heard-including Ching Cheng. However it stands to reason, and my ears confirm, that cables designed and optimized for audio are going to sound more like music than cables designed for appliances, computers, etc. Again, I expressed curiosity as to whether or not there were particular Ching Cheng cables that were preferred by WBF posters since the ones I’d heard sounded like crap. That’s it. I am not searching for cables. I have optimized power cables for each individual component and am happy with the full loom which provides extraordinarily resolving and natural sound.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing