Who Are Your Favorite DAC Designers?

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I’m really enjoying our EMM DA2V2 DAC. It is excellent. It bested everything we heard when we purchased it sometime back.

But we will probably be upgrading either to a Lampi Horizon or Ideon Absolute E + Time. So, far the Ideon is in our top spot. But the Horizon will be here soon for a demo.

Reactions: ayang90

KrellFan1

Mar 15, 2023
Phoenix, AZ
Bruno Putzeys, Mola Mola
I agree completely. I've become a huge admirer of Bruno and in particular the Tambaqui DAC which I just acquired within the past two weeks. All I can say is WOW. Game changer

Attachments

• Tambaqui DAC.jpeg
    Tambaqui DAC.jpeg
    609.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Reactions: PYP and Gregadd

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
As someone who has owned a lot of DACs over the past 30 years, beginning with Theta Digital and going over numerous other ones (dCS, Esoteric etc.), and now having half a dozen DACs in the house, I have learned that I need to have multiple references to calibrate my ears on their colorations. Every DAC is colored in some way, but you can’t hear its colorations if that’s the only DAC you listen to. It’s like listening to only loudspeaker. You don’t hear its colorations because you listen to it each day and you get used to the way it sounds.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Great replies here. Let’s not forget John Siau at Benchmark who creates innovation on a tight cost frame.

Or Andy McHarg and Chris Hales who did an amazing job on the Apex upgrades at dCS.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
That is an easy one for me! In tube based circuits, Lukasz of Lampizator and for solid-state Omata San of Sforzato. As soon as Sforzato completes their latest series of updates I expect them to be ready to take on the big boys at a more approachable price. I have experienced Sforzato's $20k two-box DAC/Clock solution and next to the Lampizator Horizon I have not heard better digital replay.

Last edited:

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
Lukasz Fikus - Lampizator

Reactions: gleeds

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing