Why 24/192 is a bad idea?

In general, we do not hear exactly what is in the studio whether we are talking about in-band or ultrasonic tones. What is certain though is that if the distortion exists in the studio and you completely remove it before giving the material to me, for sure you have magnified the difference.

If no IMD due to distortion was heard in the studio (one would expect studios to be using superior equipment) but it is audible in the home, you have magnified the difference by keeping the ultrasonics.

In my mind, this is a red herring. I believe you previously argued against basing the format on assumed limitations of the equipment or environment, and I agree with that.

Bottom line is the logical point I made: you have not shown any reason to truncate data in the studio. If you and others are personally concerned about these things and think the person mastering the track knows more than you do about your system, then by all means, get the 16/44.1 version of it. They almost always offer this version in parallel to the high-res version and if they didn't, you can perform the conversion yourself.

Rhetorical question.

Is it OK for sizable portions of the public to believe in ghosts, alien abductions, creationism, quack cancer treatments, vaccines causing autism, etc...? Generally, we say it's a persons' choice to believe what they want, right, even if there's no evidence to support it. Some things are harmless (like audio) some quite harmful (vaccines). But it's all a convenient dismissal of science whenever it disagrees with something we really want to believe.

We can debate the how and why, and try to figure out why the graphs match or don't, but the result remains the same: No one's been able to hear the claimed differences in a controlled test. I invite everyone in this forum to sign up and prove the scientific establishment wrong. It would be a heck of a news story.

As for the AES; it's comprised of all of us, skeptics and enthusiasts. The papers run the gamut of hard research data to interesting but untested ideas, to crazy thinking aloud with expensive machines. I'm surprised there's a tendency here to treat anything the AES has published as authoritative. Publication doesn't meant you're right, it only serves as an invitation for others to try out your ideas. Sometimes (as in the case of Oohashi), the ideas are not well tested or presented enough to merit much response.

The basis for understanding is testing, knowing for certain what's being tested, and retesting. We know that the differences we're listening for are small enough that human factors swamp the signal, otherwise, it would already be settled. Genuine question: Is that in debate here?

Last edited:
The basis for understanding is testing, knowing for certain what's being tested, and retesting. We know that the differences we're listening for are small enough that human factors swamp the signal, otherwise, it would already be settled. Genuine question: Is that in debate here?

Ah, there's something one needs to understand. In Audiophilia we have the phenomenon of IIARM, Investment Induced Auditory Response Magnification. Much research remains to be performed in this area. Given the anecdotal body from decades of reports from and discussion about HiFi, there is little doubt that the amount of resources poured into a "rig"* opens up a higher level of sensitivity to auditory stimuli in the owner, as well as receptive co-listeners.
This sensitivity defeats the threshold of hearing limitations un-magnified listeners are subject to, both when it comes to perceivable frequency range, and any age-imposed reductions in sensitivity.

It is speculated that the level of investment triggers a process that unlocks DNA-potentials of subjects capable of magnification. Not all subjects are capable of such unlocking, regardless of level of investment, which leads one into the equally interesting field of pseudomagnification.

* Term used when the investment has reached the appropriate level required to trigger DNA-modification.

Focusing a bit on downquantizing.
Xiphmont, are you talking about changing the bit depth, say from 16bit to 24 bit, and 24bit to 16bit (I am assuming is the downquantizing)?

Just to add to the discussion on hi-rez music and measurements; The measurement tools developed by Keith Howard and PM show that the hi-rez music can be seen usually down to around -100dbfs, with a gentle filter and noise floor showing around -120dbfs to -130dbfs.
Usually average passage amplitude for 10khz was -60dbfs to -80dbfs for the well recorded-mastered albums.
However worth remembering these measurements/charts show both peak and average music for amplitude and frequency range.

So 24-bit is not required when talking about extremes, which is usually where most of the debate goes with regards to hi-rez.
Anyway it has given me a great idea for an article and just deciding whether to ping-pester Paul Miller or Keith Howard with the suggestion.

Some may had forgotten but ages ago I provided what I thought was a great discussion on HA regarding 16-20-24bit audio-random noise-room noise floor-etc, does not mean one agrees with everything in the thread but is great as a food for thought..... Problem is I cannot search far enough back it seems when looking at all my posts.

Thanks
Orb

OK just read a few of the last posts....
Is it the intention to really screw this thread up with one-upmanship,baiting,etc?
Disappointing considering the intellectual level is high here sigh, so please can we keep the discussion interesting and on point a little at least - we have enough existing threads to beat each other up on :)
Thanks
Orb

I'm not so sure you are correct as I believe you missed this bit in the paper which refers to audibility

The comment is so vague as to lack relevance. No doubt based on sighted evaluations. I'd like to check the sourced papers, but I see no links to them.

So why not try pre-echo audibility yourself?

I have, as long ago as 2001. For well-designed brickwall filters operating at 44.1 KHz sampling, neither myself nor other listeners have any positve results to report. In fact, postiive results can stop happening with sampling rates as low as 16 KHz. The experiments took some impulsive-ultrasonic-rich recordings that were made at 24/96, downsampled them to as low as 32 KHz sampling, and then upsampled them back to 24/96 for the DBTs.

The counterpoint is that poorly-designed filters operating in the same frequency range with really bad transient response (excess pre-ringing or post-ringing) had audible effects. So the issue is there, but its been commonly done right for over a decade.

I can post links to two files I have prepared which will allow you test if you can hear, on your system, such audio artifacts as is described in that paper. In other words a pre-echo @-39dB added 20 samples in advance of the signal. I have run this test blind with a number of people now & most correctly identify the file with pre-echo (without peaking). Maybe others would like to take this test also & report their findings?

I'll take a look and listen at the test signals, if links are provided.

The comment is so vague as to lack relevance.
What do you find vague about what I already quoted from the paper "They found the pre-echo due to a filter ripple of ± 0.2dB with a span of 23Hz corresponded with echoes of -32dB at ±40ms - which was found to be quite perceptible even with untrained listeners. Your original statement was that the paper made no reference to audibility. I'm sure if you had read this you wouldn't have made your statement
No doubt based on sighted evaluations.
Pure conjecture on your part without any foundation & obviously biased unless you read the original paper?
I'd like to check the sourced papers, but I see no links to them.
Again, you prove that you have not even glanced at the paper - references are given & specifically to the AES paper in question "[6] R. Lagadec and T. G. Stockham, ‘Dispersive Models for A-to-D and D-to-A Conversion Systems’ Preprint 2097 of the 75th AES Convention, Paris, March 1984."

I have, as long ago as 2001. For well-designed brickwall filters operating at 44.1 KHz sampling, neither myself nor other listeners have any positve results to report. In fact, postiive results can stop happening with sampling rates as low as 16 KHz. The experiments took some impulsive-ultrasonic-rich recordings that were made at 24/96, downsampled them to as low as 32 KHz sampling, and then upsampled them back to 24/96 for the DBTs.
Your track record in accuracy so far in this & other posts to me is weak, how can I take this statement at face value without some references?

The counterpoint is that poorly-designed filters operating in the same frequency range with really bad transient response (excess pre-ringing or post-ringing) had audible effects. So the issue is there, but its been commonly done right for over a decade.
Can you cite some common examples, please?

I'll take a look and listen at the test signals, if links are provided.

I would prefer you to do it the other way around - take a listen & then look :) A link to sample Files are given in my next post
There are 4 files (each about 19 secs of audio) - some of them are the same files. Listen to the whole file but particularly the rim shots in each for naturalness. Best to PM me with results so as not to pollute this thread or coach others.

Test Files found here https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzRUtXo0Yuj5SERtcEVKZlB5YWc
There are 4 files (each about 19 secs of audio) - some of them are the same files.
Listen to the whole file but particularly the rim shots in each for naturalness. Best to PM me with results so as not to pollute this thread or coach others.

Ah, there's something one needs to understand. In Audiophilia we have the phenomenon of IIARM, Investment Induced Auditory Response Magnification. Much research remains to be performed in this area. Given the anecdotal body from decades of reports from and discussion about HiFi, there is little doubt that the amount of resources poured into a "rig"* opens up a higher level of sensitivity to auditory stimuli in the owner, as well as receptive co-listeners.
This sensitivity defeats the threshold of hearing limitations un-magnified listeners are subject to, both when it comes to perceivable frequency range, and any age-imposed reductions in sensitivity.

It is speculated that the level of investment triggers a process that unlocks DNA-potentials of subjects capable of magnification. Not all subjects are capable of such unlocking, regardless of level of investment, which leads one into the equally interesting field of pseudomagnification.

* Term used when the investment has reached the appropriate level required to trigger DNA-modification.

Wall of fame stuff here.

While parts of this discussion are interesting, others have been painfully pedantic. Can you really hear some of this stuff? Yeah, I'm sure if you know what to listen for you can. I'm sure if you know what to listen for and design listening tests around hearing it you can do even better. Don't train me. My collection is 99.9% (a WAG) 16/44.1 and that's not going to change. I listen to music for pleasure, so if these distortions are audible and I can't hear them, ignorance truly is bliss.

Tim

Wall of fame stuff here.

While parts of this discussion are interesting, others have been painfully pedantic. Can you really hear some of this stuff? Yeah, I'm sure if you know what to listen for you can. I'm sure if you know what to listen for and design listening tests around hearing it you can do even better. Don't train me. My collection is 99.9% (a WAG) 16/44.1 and that's not going to change. I listen to music for pleasure, so if these distortions are audible and I can't hear them, ignorance truly is bliss.

Tim

But with your low level of patience, do you ever listen to a whole CD. ;)

More seriously, there have been NO significant arguments advanced here to support the original idea that 24/192 music is a bad idea. At best, somewhat unconvincing points have been made that it may not be necessary for best sound quality.

I was going to correct a few technical inaccuracies, but it's not worth it. Wow what a pissing contest. Are we done yet?

I don't mind the corrections. Inaccurracies have a long life on the Internet, it is very important that they be shot down as they occur. I still have no clear idea if it worthwhile buying Hi-Rez in the meantime .. I don't think it is a bad idea either .. The education itself is of value to me and likely many... So please Don, shoot.. else we can take it on PM ...

If no IMD due to distortion was heard in the studio (one would expect studios to be using superior equipment)...
Who says they use superior equipment? And how do you know IMD was not heard there?

but it is audible in the home, you have magnified the difference by keeping the ultrasonics.
I addressed this point already. If said distortions are harmful to my listening enjoyment, I can filter them off better than the mastering engineer can because I would be testing the results on *my* system, not his.

In my mind, this is a red herring. I believe you previously argued against basing the format on assumed limitations of the equipment or environment, and I agree with that.
I did not get us there with this IMD thing. You did in your paper and here.

Rhetorical question.

Is it OK for sizable portions of the public to believe in ghosts, alien abductions, creationism, quack cancer treatments, vaccines causing autism, etc...? Generally, we say it's a persons' choice to believe what they want, right, even if there's no evidence to support it. Some things are harmless (like audio) some quite harmful (vaccines). But it's all a convenient dismissal of science whenever it disagrees with something we really want to believe.
Your argument may depend on existence of ghosts or lack thereof but mine does not. I repeat: when high res content is released to consumers, it is almost by definition today is *pre* mastering for CD/digital distribution where extreme amount of loudness compensation is applied.

It is ironic that the proof point of this is in one of the other references in your article, namely the Meyer and Moran test of high-resolution audio: "Several readers have wanted to know how, if ultrasonics can cause audible intermodulation distortion, the Meyer and Moran 2007 test could have produced a null result. It should be obvious that 'can' and 'sometimes' are not the same as 'will' and 'always'. Intermodulation distortion from ultrasonics is a possibility, not a certainty, in any given system for a given set of material. The Meyer and Moran null result indicates that intermodulation distortion was inaudible on the systems used during the course of their testing."

Putting aside the point that the paper does indeed provide counter evidence of the "harm" that you say exists with respect to ultrasonics, here is the salient point related to mine:

"A NOTE ON HIGH-RESOLUTION RECORDINGS
Though our tests failed to substantiate the claimed advantages of high-resolution encoding for
two-channel audio, one trend became obvious very quickly and held up
throughout our testing: virtually all of the SACD and
DVD-A recordings sounded better than most CDs—
sometimes much better.
Had we not “degraded” the sound
to CD quality and blind-tested for audible differences, we
would have been tempted to ascribe this sonic superiority
to the recording processes used to make them.
Plausible reasons for the remarkable sound quality of
these recordings emerged in discussions with some of the
engineers currently working on such projects. This portion
of the business is a niche market in which the end users are
preselected, both for their aural acuity and for their willingness to buy expensive equipment, set it up correctly,
and listen carefully in a low-noise environment.
Partly because these recordings have not captured a
large portion of the consumer market for music, engineers
and producers are being given the freedom to produce
recordings that sound as good as they can make them,
without having to compress or equalize the signal to suit
lesser systems and casual listening conditions.
These recordings seem to have been made with great care and
manifest affection, by engineers trying to please themselves and their peers.
They sound like it, label after label.
High-resolution audio discs do not have the overwhelming
majority of the program material crammed into the top 20
(or even 10) dB of the available dynamic range, as so
many CDs today do."

So as you see, as a practical matter, what you are advocating does result in poorer sound. Not because of any technical reasons but for a business one. There is little chance of someone producing popular music in 16/44.1 Khz that is not subject to loudness compression today. The labels and talent have a strong say in that and they are not letting that be the same high fidelity experience that was originally created.

As I have said and continue to repeat is that I do not have a dog in this hunt. I am not here to advocate the befits of ultrasonics or harm thereof. Ditto for high sample resolution. I am here to say that let's release the original bits and be done with it. The producer wants and is offering it. And the consumer is willing to pay for it. You seem to be running interference in this without articulating any reason as to why.

We can debate the how and why, and try to figure out why the graphs match or don't, but the result remains the same: No one's been able to hear the claimed differences in a controlled test. I invite everyone in this forum to sign up and prove the scientific establishment wrong. It would be a heck of a news story.
Well, I just provided research data for you above that you cite yourself that clearly indicated with respect to actual music in the market the superiority of the high-resolution content is without question in their mind. Again not because of the specs but as a practical matter.

Sadly it didn't make the news as you say because people who cite that paper are so anxious to use it to argue that there is no benefit to high-resolution data that they usually don't bother to actually read the darn thing. And worse yet, actually experience the difference using *listening* tests of real music in the market in both formats rather than going by stuff they have read.

This was the thesis of your paper: "Unfortunately, there is no point to distributing music in 24-bit/192kHz format. Its playback fidelity is slightly inferior to 16/44.1 or 16/48, and it takes up 6 times the space."

You have not managed to show any inferiority as a technical matter. And as a matter of actual product in the market, you are speaking of the opposite of reality.

As for the AES; it's comprised of all of us, skeptics and enthusiasts. The papers run the gamut of hard research data to interesting but untested ideas, to crazy thinking aloud with expensive machines. I'm surprised there's a tendency here to treat anything the AES has published as authoritative. Publication doesn't meant you're right, it only serves as an invitation for others to try out your ideas. Sometimes (as in the case of Oohashi), the ideas are not well tested or presented enough to merit much response.
You are absolutely right that something being published on AES is no proof of it being right. But you need to demonstrate that. All else being equal a web article written by someone not in that industry does have lower apparent credibility. You need to overcome that by being able to articulate clearly why the AES articles are wrong.

My read of your article vs Bob's left me with the impression that yours was casual and sensational whereas his was scientific and well researched. His has tons of data and measurements, yours has hardly any. His is full of other research he builds on, yours hardly has any.

The question is moot. It has been and I have said it multiple times. It matters not if we can prove technical superiority when actual superiority is abundantly clear. And that there is already a marketplace for it.

Agreed Frantz.

If Don has some clarifications, lets hear them. This thread is not a pissing contest, its a debate among folks who have some understnding on the issue.

If you have ever served on a jury you realize that counterpoints and disagreements often lead to better understanding of the facts...

I say press on gentlemen!

Tom

Me too

I'm fascinated

It matters not if we can prove technical superiority when actual superiority is abundantly clear.

I'm going to remember this statement!

I'm going to remember this statement!

But if it's all preference, how can there be any superiority. You've made it all relative, Mark. Are you changing positions?

Tim

Last edited:
But if it's all preference, how can their be any superiority. You've made it all relative, Mark. Are you changing positions?

Tim

If you choose a component, you must think it is superior to the competition you had to choose from in the price range you were shopping in. Therefore, you believe your preference is superior. There is no change of position on my part.

But FFTs are histograms, there's no 'floor'. Added to that, an FFT is a time exposure.

Whatever. If you believe varying the bit depth affects more than the noise floor, I'll be glad to see your proof. Make your own example files, and show whatever graphic representation you prefer to make the point. I already showed mine, and based on my knowledge of digital audio principles I'm satisfied with my proof.

Yet we're doing science are we not? In which case its the claimant who has to support, not the detractor.

No, you are the claimant, because the belief that bit depth affects "bleaching" defies all that is known about digital audio. Have you read Pohlmann's book or an equivalent? There's a huge body of serious scholarly published information that disagrees with you. So, again, it's up to you to prove that all of the scientists are wrong.

--Ethan

I'm satisfied with my proof.
--Ethan
That's the problem!

Care to have a listen to the files I posted? You are always asking for proof & files to be posted so time to listen to some files & PM me your results.

If you choose a component, you must think it is superior to the competition you had to choose from in the price range you were shopping in. Therefore, you believe your preference is superior. There is no change of position on my part.

OK, cool. It just threw me off because I don't generally think of "superior" as being synonymous with "preference."

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu