Why, oh why, does vinyl continue to blow away digital?

You can hear it about 13 seconds in on track 3, Ronde.

Perhaps. I've heard it on LP, where the sound of the neighboring groove slightly leaks through. Can cartridge alignment do anything about it? But analog tape might have the same problem. The tape is wound on top of itself, which means the magnetic information could transfer. I've never heard it on digital recordings before, and I don't see how the digital process could cause the effect. This was definitely an analog recording originally, and this digital sound file was converted from tape or LP. I don't hear any pops or scratches, but they could have been edited out.
Sounds like crosstalk, try adjusting azimuth :)

If it is ~2 seconds off (60/33.3) then it is the neighbouring groove.
This is why Direct Metal cuts have some appeal… especially when the groves are close together
There is some plowing happening during the cut that is deforming adjacent to the cut and pushing over to the next groove.

Reactions: Tim Link
This is an old mono recording that I've been listening to on Apple Music. Interestingly, I hear a clear pre-echo like you get with vinyl. Could this have been transfered from vinyl to digital? It sounds really good to me. I just noticed the pre-echo during a short silence.
It’s most probably a tape print through as @Audiohertz2 mentioned. Tapes are stored as tails out. It means a print through will be a pre echo rather than a post echo which is more annoying.

I heard pre echo due to tape print through on many AAD cds.

Last edited:
I mean if your turntable is playing with a "pre-echo" ;)
That's an interesting thought. I always assumed the pre-echo was caused by the formation of the adjacent groove, which means there should be both pre echo and post echo on parts of the recording, since there is a pre and post groove directly adjacent most of the time. I found some posts on other forums that suggested the cutting of the groove distorts the adjacent grooves enough for a small amount of sound to leak through. The cartridge azimuth could potentially effect hearing one more than the other, I suppose, especially if the upper part of the groove closer to the record's surface gets more of the effect than down deeper in the groove.

It’s most probably a tape print through as @Audiohertz2 mentioned. Tapes are stored as tails out. It means a print through will be a pre echo rather than a post echo which is more annoying.

I heard pre echo due to tape print through on many AAD cds.
That's good to know. Somehow I had never noticed it before except on LP, where it can be quite pronounced, and may be because of the groove cutting effect. If it was both print through and "groove through" you'd think you'd hear two pre-echoes, because they wouldn't be at the same time. Anybody ever heard that? If not, it's probably just tape print through. I've never confirmed that I could hear a post echo on LP.
Digitally this could be relatively easy to largely eliminate by superimposing and timing the pre-echo against the recording but out of phase. Might be easier said than done, but it should work since it's not random noise. Heck, it could even be done analog!

That's good to know. Somehow I had never noticed it before except on LP, where it can be quite pronounced, and may be because of the groove cutting effect. If it was both print through and "groove through" you'd think you'd hear two pre-echoes, because they wouldn't be at the same time. Anybody ever heard that? If not, it's probably just tape print through. I've never confirmed that I could hear a post echo on LP.
Digitally this could be relatively easy to largely eliminate by superimposing and timing the pre-echo against the recording but out of phase. Might be easier said than done, but it should work since it's not random noise. Heck, it could even be done analog!
Tape print through is hard to notice on vinyl because of the surface noise and being low in level. On the other side pre echo due to loud adjacent groove is more prominent but it is possible to hear both pre echoes on vinyl.

With the help of nice headphones I've heard tape print through on cassettes I recorded from cds back in the day.

If it is ~2 seconds off (60/33.3) then it is the neighbouring groove.
This is why Direct Metal cuts have some appeal… especially when the groves are close together
There is some plowing happening during the cut that is deforming adjacent to the cut and pushing over to the next groove.
It seems a little faster than that, more like 1 second. You can hear it at about 56 seconds on the Youtube video, the quick flute scale after the silence.

I'm learning a lot about pre -echo from grooves and tape print through, but this doesn't do much to answer why some find more goodness in the sound of vinyl. For those who prefer vinyl, does this preference hold as much to mono recordings as it does to stereo? The reason I ask is that it has occurred to me that with a stereo cartridge an interesting effect occurs. There is some inevitable cross feed between the channels, and it is reverse polarity. I don't know if it's loud enough to have an effect, but if you've ever tried mixing the opposite channels attenuated and reverse polarity, the effects are pretty interesting.

I just did a quick experiment using Audacity to listen to reverse polarity cross feed. It definitely has an audible effect that I can notice immediately at -16 dB. Cartridges I think have crossfeed between -20 to -30 dB. At -16 dB on headphones I liked the crossfeed. It made the sound less hard, gave it a little more atmosphere. At -23 dB I can still hear it, and it's a little softer and sweeter than with it turned off.

This does nothing to explain why some prefer reel to reel.

Last edited:
It seems a little faster than that, more like 1 second. You can hear it at about 56 seconds on the Youtube video, the quick flute scale after the silence.
Maybe that “tape print through” causal mechanism has some merit.
There is no way I can conjure cart alignment to be the cause.

Sounds like he is describing Tape print thru..

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu