Why, oh why, does vinyl continue to blow away digital?

Did you actually compare them to each other in the same system, each of those turntables to the DAC?

In each case, what did you prefer about the Digital to the vinyl?

A well set up fairly simple TT can indeed sound better then most digital.

What im saying is that i have heard Monstrosities of expensive enginering with mediocre sound .

In case of the nagra i dont even wanna comment at as to how bad it was.

When you re asking 2 or 3 hundred K for a TT i expect to be impressed to say the least.

The whole goal seems to be to design expensive feats of enginering.
Because there are enough rich audiophiles who want a magazine triple A rated/ approved engineering trophy in their home.

Reactions: Lagonda
A well set up fairly simple TT can indeed sound better then most digital.

What im saying is that i have heard Monstrosities of expensive enginering with mediocre sound .

In case of the nagra i dont even wanna comment at as to how bad it was.

When you re asking 2 or 3 hundred K for a TT i expect to be impressed to say the least.

The whole goal seems to be to design expensive feats of enginering.
Because there are enough rich audiophiles who want a magazine triple A rated/ approved engineering trophy in their home.

Your one of two spot on posts for the year. Look forward to the second one in December

Over this anytime based on SQ .
i think the Wilson Benesch is something special. the real deal. but at a very high price. not personally heard it.

no opinion about the others.

obviously i do think very highly of my Wadax. but head to head with good media the WB is quite a ways better. preferences for overall use a different question. lots of ways to view it.

Can you elaborate?
Good question, Peter. And an important topic, IMO. But a topic like this can easily derail a thread.

So in short I’ll just say, where others’ hearts go pitter-patter every time somebody mentions the “gold” standard i.e. live unamplified music in an acoustic space, they always seem to overlook or ignore two things…

1. The acoustic space part.

2. The fact that in our rooms are systems with very real shortcomings/limitations that will wreak sonic havoc on certain passages or notes. Including and especially on the acoustic space part.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing