Why your audio might be bad - and there is nothing you can do

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia

Reactions: Tim Link
Does he mention how bad audio is for your bank account and social skills?

It's a bit of a clickbait title but he certainly got a point there.
The source is a big source of trouble for many tracks...
It's why I usually like the 'non hits' on popular albums better than the ones destined to be a hit.

Cheers, Hans.

Reactions: Alrainbow
Does he mention how bad audio is for your bank account and social skills?

social skills improve. You are interacting with difficult members trying to communicate abstract attributes in simple terms, also, erm, trying to understand their point of view, empathising, and giving a well thought out constructive reply. Also making them feel good. All this should help social skills

As usual Ked, you *could* be kidding about...

An annoying video perhaps, but it is an interesting question for sure. Some recordings have great dynamics and range, and yet they can sound so different from system to system.
Surely different .
Which i can tell even without listening to the system
Several members here ( i wont mention names lol) have systems which are 10 db down at 1O-12 khz

yet they can sound so different from system to system.

The reason for this is discussed in Post #14 of https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...what-is-best-on-this-forum.35345/#post-818597

In summary: Even though we are all hearing substantially the same thing in the concert hall, because audio reproduction components are imperfect (we don’t achieve 100% suspension of disbelief) each of us chooses components that re-create those particular attributes of sound we hear in the concert hall which subjectively maximize our personal suspension of disbelief. This is why our different stereo systems sound so different.

Several members here ( i wont mention names lol) have systems which are 10 db down at 1O-12 khz
Why ever not … Surely this would be merely your opinion based on your online audio playback system in combination with your own hearing acumen and your own opinion … I don’t see anything wrong in that , and for my part would be quite interested in your considerations !

The reason for this is discussed in Post #14 of https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...what-is-best-on-this-forum.35345/#post-818597

In summary: Even though we are all hearing substantially the same thing in the concert hall, because audio reproduction components are imperfect (we don’t achieve 100% suspension of disbelief) each of us chooses components that re-create those particular attributes of sound we hear in the concert hall which subjectively maximize our personal suspension of disbelief. This is why our different stereo systems sound so different.

Ron, I think we are discussing two completely different things. I am saying that the same recording sounds different on different systems with different gear in different rooms. You are saying that systems sound different because people choose them according to their preferences. These are two different topics.

I want to know why a recording that I know is very dynamic is presented differently with different levels of dynamics when played over different systems with different equipment in different rooms. My question has nothing to do with peoples’ preferences and what you call “suspension of disbelief” and all that stuff in concert halls.

Reactions: tima
I am saying that the same recording sounds different on different systems with different gear in different rooms.

I understand.

You are saying that systems sound different because people choose them according to their preferences. These are two different topics.

At base they are the same topic. My reply answers this question as well. (The concert hall discussion makes the explanation a bit simpler because we can all agree on that reference as an actual live acoustic performance. But the exact same principles apply to the resulting dispersion in the sound of our stereo systems if we are starting with the same recording.)

I want to know why a recording that I know is very dynamic is presented differently with different levels of dynamics when played over different systems with different equipment in different rooms.

I'm a bit confused why this is even a question. Certain speakers and speaker topologies reproduce dynamics and energy and liveliness differently than other speakers and speaker topologies. Different amplifiers drive different speakers differently (more or less oomph, slam, impact, energy, speed). Isn't this elementary stuff?

Reactions: paolo
I'm a bit confused why this is even a question. Certain speakers and speaker topologies reproduce dynamics and energy and liveliness differently than other speakers and speaker topologies. Different amplifiers drive different speakers differently (more or less oomph, slam, impact, energy, speed). Isn't this elementary stuff?

The question asked in the title of the video is, “Why our audio is bad”. That is an interesting question to me. It is not as simple as different speaker types and matching amplifiers. What about placement in the room? Dynamics seems an easier subject than tone and nuance and resolution. Now consider turntables and tonearms and racks and cables. Do you really think this is elementary stuff?

The question asked in the title of the video is, “Why our audio is bad”. That is an interesting question to me. It is not as simple as different speaker types and matching amplifiers. What about placement in the room? Dynamics seems an easier subject than tone and nuance and resolution. Now consider turntables and tonearms and racks and cables. Do you really think this is elementary stuff?

Regarding dynamics I believe that most of the dispersion among (different sounding) high-end systems can be explained by loudspeakers and amplification (and, of course, room size).

I agree that if you bring into the analysis every component, and stands and cables, to try to cover the entire universe of variables and influences on dynamics, then the analysis is no longer elementary.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing