Wifi repeater/extender vs Powerline adapter

TommyC

May 28, 2014
Newbie to network streaming. Trying to get ethernet to my audio room, which is quite a distance from the modem/router. Which option results in better sound quality for streaming Qobuz/Tidal and NAS? Ethernet via wifi repeater/extender or powerline adapter?

Wifi repeaters/extenders can create some network issues, you'd be better off getting an access point like the one recommended by Upscale Audio for their streamers which require an ethernet connection like Lumins. From their site:

Add quality Wi-Fi to any Lumin with this product from Amazon. In-store tested and capable of handling even DSD 512 flawlessly! TP-Link Wireless N300 2T2R Access Point on Amazon

Powerline adapters can work, but go against the audiophile objective of limiting high frequency noise in your power. As such you may make the network connection but they can compromise the sound quality of your audio components from the added powerline noise.

Wifi repeaters/extenders can create some network issues, you'd be better off getting an access point like the one recommended by Upscale Audio for their streamers which require an ethernet connection like Lumins. From their site:

Add quality Wi-Fi to any Lumin with this product from Amazon. In-store tested and capable of handling even DSD 512 flawlessly! TP-Link Wireless N300 2T2R Access Point on Amazon

Powerline adapters can work, but go against the audiophile objective of limiting high frequency noise in your power. As such you may make the network connection but they can compromise the sound quality of your audio components from the added powerline noise.
I agree with all of that, and I really like the exterior power supply on that extender. A PSU upgrade will provide a boost in sound quality.

I know the OP didn't ask this but, IME, copper beats wi-fi, and fiber optic beats copper.

Reactions: TommyC
Access point option looks good. Is there a model with 2 Ethernet ports? I’ll need one for the Apple TV, another for the streamer. Additionally, when I was doing research on access points, it’s quite confusing. Some routers/extenders can also be put into access point mode?

Unfortunately the room doesn’t have a cable TV coax port.

For the fibre optic option, how does that work? Do I need some kind of fibre media converter? Streaming is not straight forward like putting in a disc and you’re done.

The ASUS mesh access points have 4 ethernet ports.

Obviously running wired ethernet into your room would be the best option.

I use a Powernet Adapter into a Cisco switch leftover from my Lumin X1 with 2 Ethernet cables into my Dutch & Dutch 8Cs and have never had a noise issue.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing