Wilson Audio Chronosonic XVX First Impressions

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Well, I hope I manage to sell mine before ... The idea of being burried with high end does not appeal to me. ;) And I could use it as an installment for the XVX! :cool:
Now I would describe that speaker as being "heavenly" or "out of this world":D

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Many thanks for your wonderful feedback. May I ask what size is your friends room? I believe Robert Harley's review will be in the next issue of TAS.
I don't know the exact dimensions of my friend's room. The listening position is about 4 feet from the rear wall; the speakers are about 10 feet in front of the listening position; and the front wall is far behind the speakers (The speakers are effectively in the middle of a rectangular living room.) Because of the distance from the front wall to the speakers the system generates as much acoustic depth as the recording can muster.

Ron Resnick

Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

ashandger

Jun 15, 2013
I don't know the exact dimensions of my friend's room. The listening position is about 4 feet from the rear wall; the speakers are about 10 feet in front of the listening position; and the front wall is far behind the speakers (The speakers are effectively in the middle of a rectangular living room.) Because of the distance from the front wall to the speakers the system generates as much acoustic depth as the recording can muster.
Many thanks for the feedback and no worries about the exact dimensions.

metaphacts

Industry Expert
Feb 1, 2011
Lower Provo River
Hi Ron,

I think I can add some more precise dimensions for you.

Listening position is 11'8" from the speakers. XVX are just short of 8' apart inside corner to inside corner.

The room is sort of two rooms, there's a four inch step down into the area behind the speakers. It's 16ft from the rear wall to the step down and another 16' to the front wall. Width of the room is I believe 15'6" in the back section and 18' in front. The front portion of the room opens onto the kitchen and the back portion onto a hallway.

Bill

ashandger

Jun 15, 2013
Hi Ron,

Listening position is 11'8" from the speakers. XVX are just short of 8' apart inside corner to inside corner.

The room is sort of two rooms, there's a four inch step down into the area behind the speakers. It's 16ft from the rear wall to the step down and another 16' to the front wall. Width of the room is I believe 15'6" in the back section and 18' in front. The front portion of the room opens onto the kitchen and the back portion onto a hallway.

Bill
Hello Bill,
Many thanks for the feedback....most helpful. Looking forward to Robert's review next month in TAS. Cheers

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
A dagger at the heart of the matter! :)

Answer: no.

All I can say, Tang, is that I really, really, really want to hear the Pendragons again! I have not heard them in four years.

I have always loved planar speakers. If I were designing a loudspeaker myself primarily for solo vocals the Pendragon is exactly what I would design: a dipole ribbon used as a nearly full-range driver (200Hz to 18kHz); no cross-over to air motion tweeters above 18kHz; and a self-powered woofer tower <200Hz consisting of a large number of small cones.
Great write up Ron especially for those of us that may never have the opportunity. I am biased but I think you will fall in love with you choice again as you once did.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Answer: no.

All I can say, Tang, is that I really, really, really want to hear the Pendragons again! I have not heard them in four years.
Bravo! This is Ron Resnick signature with a strong punctuation at the end.

I have been hearing "gobsmack" "Jaw drop" talk of listening to this that system of others. I appreciate much more hearing when a person get jawdrop gobsmack outside home, but once come home get "drop dead" like Steve.

Ron Resnick

Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron,

Bill
Thank you, Bill!

I wasn't sure how to describe the double room situation. :)

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi ,
I agree with you a 100% Steve,the Lamm signature series is magic.

Robert

Ron Resnick

Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Nice report Ron. Could you share some details about the rest of the system, and what music did you listen to?

Associated Components:

Dynavector XX-1(?) cartridge on Technics SP-10(?) turntable and Lyra Atlas Lambda on vintage Thorens on large OMA plinth -> Einstein solid-state phono stage and Einstein line stage -> Einstein Silver Bullet OTL and McIntosh MC611 amplifiers, with Nordost speaker cables.

Tracks:

"Bird on a Wire,” “Famous Blue Raincoat,” and "First We Take Manhattan,” by Jennifer Warnes, Famous Blue Raincoat (Rock the House Records/Classic Records)

”I’ve Got the Music in Me" by Thelma Houston, I've Got the Music in Me (Sheffield Lab 2)

"Landslide" and "Rhiannon" by Fleetwood Mac, Fleetwood Mac (MFSL)

“Pictures at an Exhibition” on The Power of the Orchestra, Rene Leibowitz, RPO, Chesky RC30

and many jazz and vocal tracks selected by my friend.

PS: I definitely do not care for that Dynavector cartridge. I heard the same cartridge in London in a demo of the Martin Logan Neolith (which I love) with VTL electronics (which I love) playing my test tracks, and the sound was clinical and old digital-like. I heard the same clinical sound in my friend's system with that cartridge. On different turntables and tonearms, of course, but I preferred the Lyra Atlas Lamda in my friend's system.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 25, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high-end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. A place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss existing and new audio products, music servers, music streamers and computer audio, digital to audio converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel to reel, speakers, headphones, tube amplifiers and solid state amplification. Founded in 2010 What's Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing