Wilson Audio Sasha V

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
88db into 4ohms with a bunch of average upgrades like bubble levels. Yawn. 20 watts minimum is amusing.

I’d say the DAWs are a bargain, used.

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
20 watts minimum is amusing.

I would have thought 200 watts would be needed to get these to sing, and would imagine that most users would go way beyond that.

Reactions: Pokey77 and bonzo75

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I would have thought 200 watts would be needed to get these to sing, and would imagine that most users would go way beyond that.
Another reader.
The DAWs sing on my REF75SE. My room is over 5000 cubic feet. I run them on the REF250SEs because I can. But going back to the REF75SE is no disappointment.

Lots of folks know what they think. That’s different from actually knowing.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
From my perspective, the V takes the Sasha forward along David’s idea of “the well made thing.” It follows the Alexia V in several nice touches. For example, it is using the same midrange and tweeter. It is using the same acoustic diode feet. It is using the new V material in strategic areas where there is benefit. It has a level built into the top surface of the lower cabinet.

The price is now $48900 for standard finishes, and up for custom or premium finishes.

If anyone thinks I’m shilling for them instead of just sharing as an enthusiast, you don’t know me or my history with Wilson very well. I’ve spent most of my audiophile life shaking my head in wonderment about the folly of Wilson speakers. Up until a little over a year ago, I’d never had a demo that made me think they were anywhere near even good, let alone great. But that’s all changed with my introduction to a world class dealer. I am a fan. I get it. I am enthused about their performance.

Sadly, the idea that it costs $50k to get into Wilson’s lowest level of in situ time alignment is depressing. I do think they’re worth their price. But most average audiophiles are not going to be able to justify $50k for speakers. Even if the quality is there.

As one owner of a famous and highly regarded brand of tube gear has shared with me more than once, the bulk of his boutique brand sales are at the high end, not the entry level. The “W/P and Sasha” series has been the entry level to the true Wilson experience for a long time. The initiation fee is now $50k. Nice work if you can get it. Nice speakers if you can afford them.

Reactions: Lee

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
There is a downward trend in efficiency with Alexx V at 92db, the Alexia V at 90db and now Sasha V at 88db. Or upward trend whichever way you look at it.
Yes, I noticed that. Some common drivers, but decreasing box volume as you go down. Recommended power ratings are still low though. Lowest impedance for the Sasha V is still manageable (around 2.4 Ohms at around 80 Hz iirc).

Last edited:

Simcity

Oct 18, 2022
Hong Kong
Just listened to the newest Sasha V at dealer’s showroom yesterday. I was really surprised how good the speaker sounds!!

56428673-B3F1-47AD-A2CB-7D09D70DC3B2.jpeg 94A7A8E3-3E71-4FC5-AC17-DBBB894F8CCB.jpeg

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
One thing I noticed is that the midrange and tweeter of the Sasha V are in common with those drivers in the the Alexia V, Alexx V, and Chronosonic XVX.

But in the DAW the midrange and tweeter are in common with the WAMM Master Chronosonic. That’s an impressive pedigree too.

You can add the acoustic diode feet to the DAW if you wanted. That’s $3200.

In the photographs for the Sasha V they show the Wilson jack being used to install the feet. It is not included with the DAW and the instructions suggest laying the lower cabinet down on a blanket. If they’re including the jack with the V, that explains another $1100.

Edit: Jack’s not mentioned as part of the tool kit. They do include a more elaborate owners manual than with the DAW. They include phase and impedance graphs. Wow, the bass impedance graph is squirrelly. These might sound better on the 8 ohm taps. It would be good to decide by listening.

After looking at those graphs, now I’m really looking forward to hearing the Vs. I wonder how close they are to the Alexia V. Inquiring ears want to know :eek:

Last edited:

Simcity

Oct 18, 2022
Hong Kong
I guess if you have the space, may be Alexia V is even more impressive. But just listening to the Sasha V is really satisfying. The improvements over Sasha DAW easily justify the 30% increase in price. I compared the previous DAW version with the same setup just a few days beforehand and it’s day and night difference. Another interesting point is the treble smoothness of Sasha V is even better compared with Alexia V and my own Alexx V. May be it’s the newly developed capacitor (copper version) have a significant contribution. BTW, the jack is optional.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
I guess if you have the space, may be Alexia V is even more impressive. But just listening to the Sasha V is really satisfying. The improvements over Sasha DAW easily justify the 30% increase in price. I compared the previous DAW version with the same setup just a few days beforehand and it’s day and night difference. Another interesting point is the treble smoothness of Sasha V is even better compared with Alexia V and my own Alexx V. May be it’s the newly developed capacitor (copper version) have a significant contribution. BTW, the jack is optional.
It’s not a 30% increase. The current price of DAWs is $42900. The V is $48900. That’s not even a 15% increase. Plus the acoustic diode feet account for about half the increase, so the remaining upcharge is well under 10%.

If the V turns out to eclipse the Alexia V, just as the DAW eclipsed the Alexia II in my opinion, the V will definitely be worth its price.

Still curious about the idea that the XVX midrange and tweeter are an upgrade over those used in the WAMM Master Chronosonic.

Looking forward to a convenient audition.

Reactions: Dishman442 and Lee

Simcity

Oct 18, 2022
Hong Kong
Wham doesn’t has the Alnico midrange driver. It started at XVX.

Oh, I have nearly forgotten there is actually a price adjustment earlier this year.
Accordingly, Sasha DAW actually started at around $38000 usd back in year 2018, then a price hike to around $43000 in Jan 2023 and now around $49000 usd with the Sasha V.

With a sensitivity of 88db, it may pose some challenges for the amplification equipments. The dealer was using emmlabs’ monstrous monoblock power-amp during audition, the overall performance is excellent in all aspects. And this compliment for the Sasha V is not taken lightly since I was auditioning yet another great sounding super setup just prior to this event on the same day. The story is I was invited by another dealer to audition their newest setup consisting of the Peak (previously named Peak Consult) flagship speaker driven by full set Burmester gears including the newest 159 mono power amps.......

434D69FE-81B0-4FE0-B4C6-AE7C184B8874.jpeg 9E1A358C-A93F-484C-B2EA-222527ADE016.jpeg 78F7EC36-EAD8-455A-92F9-1EEB76001AB5.jpeg

Last edited:

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
I’ve just had my first extended taste of the Sasha V. But I can’t assert anything because nothing else in the system matched my own reference system.

I will say that I was impressed. It was an excellent demo.

I am spending a few days with the dealer and expect that I will have consummated some trades by the end point.

Reactions: Lee

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Just finished an extended comparison where the only change was Sasha V vs Sasha DAW.

To my ears the V is a clear upgrade. I love my DAWs … but the Vs had an even more natural midrange. Both were very enjoyable, but the Sasha V made an even bigger positive impression on me than did the Alexia V.

Reactions: Lee and ScottK

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
Just finished an extended comparison where the only change was Sasha V vs Sasha DAW.

To my ears the V is a clear upgrade. I love my DAWs … but the Vs had an even more natural midrange. Both were very enjoyable, but the Sasha V made an even bigger positive impression on me than did the Alexia V.
Interesting. I would have thought the Alexia V's lows would trump the SV? I can understand how the mids and highs would be similar.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Interesting. I would have thought the Alexia V's lows would trump the SV? I can understand how the mids and highs would be similar.
The Alexia V, with two separate upper driver boxes, is a more specific setup. It may be that the time alignment wasn’t perfect for my ear height.

I run my system on a PS Audio P20 with critically selected speaker cables and interconnects. I spent about 10 hours in private auditions Thursday and Friday. I bought a Burmester 911 Mk3 and installed it at home this afternoon. My DAWs are doing all the things that I had attributed to the V upgrade. They don’t sound exactly the same as the Vs, but they are much closer than the dealer pair.

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
Over the years I have noticed that just prior to the release of a new model Wilson will increase the price of the old model. IMO this is excellent marketing. It discourages people from buying a speaker nearing the end of its manufacturing life cycle (to minimize buyers' remorse) while at the same time making the new model's higher price easier to justify and keeping the old model's resale/trade-in value elevated.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
There is a downward trend in efficiency with Alexx V at 92db, the Alexia V at 90db and now Sasha V at 88db. Or upward trend whichever way you look at it.
The Alexia V is 1db more efficient than the Alexia 2 and it makes a big difference.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The Alexia V is 1db more efficient than the Alexia 2 and it makes a big difference.

Does it make a bigger than 1dB difference? :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing