wilson speakers with audionet humboldt

goodsource

VIP/Donor
Jun 13, 2020
are there any folks who use audionet humboldt integrated amp with any wilson speakers.
would love to hear some thoughts and feedback around this.

goodsource

VIP/Donor
Jun 13, 2020
folks even if not paired with wilson speakers, are there any audionet humboldt owners. can someone help describe the sonic characteristics and ownership experience for the saeme

peter pan

Sep 15, 2020
hey friend, you cant do any better.
i do own the humboldt and it is a fantastic pairing with wilson speakers.
actually there is no better amplification for wilsons than audionet sciencist series.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
folks even if not paired with wilson speakers, are there any audionet humboldt owners. can someone help describe the sonic characteristics and ownership experience for the saeme
You have by all accounts an absolutely sensational preamp. Have you considered the matching sensational Constellation Hercules amp? (Not that your HDs arent already pretty great!)

peter pan

Sep 15, 2020
or vice versa...., "goodsource" owns the nagra hd amps, so why not add the hd preamp (the best preamp available today imho).
however, i do own the humbold, had it paired with the tunetots, alexia2 and the sabrinaX. on the other side, i had the wilsons paired with other worldclass amp and for me, very convinced, there is no better for each other!
utterly satisfaying.
humboldts needs very long burn in, thats all

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
humboldts needs very long burn in, thats all
100% agree, took some hours for Stern and Heisenberg as well to finally open up fully

peter pan

Sep 15, 2020
yes, takes time until the midrange beauty kicks in....but then, wow, the search has an end.
that said, two heisis are expected in two days!:)

Reactions: shakti

peter pan

Sep 15, 2020
all right, for two days now the heisenbergs are powering the sabrina x.
you can hear the more ohmps which makes the thing a bit more overhelming.
while the sound seems to be identical, i do prefer the humboldt for the moment. more precision and even more beautyful colors.
lets see what the burn-in will change.

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
you describe my Stern & Heisenberg listening for the first hours,
ist definitely takes a lot of hours, I used them 2 weeks in nearly 24/7
Now its fine.

peter pan

Sep 15, 2020
yes after burning in, they are heavenly.
somehow the same as humboldt but with even more slam, incredible. the added power helps a lot at higher volume and also at lower volume.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Hi guys, would like to know if the Humboldt could drive pretty difficult speakers like my Thiel CS 3.7s ?
My local Audionet dealer would be willing to do a shootout between my Diablo 300 and the Humboldt on my speakers.
My guess is that my Diablo 300 is much more appropriate for difficult load speakers as opposed to the Humboldt but it would be worth trying.

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Hi guys, would like to know if the Humboldt could drive pretty difficult speakers like my Thiel CS 3.7s ?
My local Audionet dealer would be willing to do a shootout between my Diablo 300 and the Humboldt on my speakers.
My guess is that my Diablo 300 is much more appropriate for difficult load speakers as opposed to the Humboldt but it would be worth trying.
With all due respect, having owned the Diablo 300 and now owning the Humboldt, they both drive difficult loads very well, but the Humboldt, despite its more conservative power specs is significantly better driving more difficult loads. Here are the relevant specs for both Amps:

Gryphon Diablo 300:

• Net Weight 84lbs
  • Power Output: 2 x 300W (8 Ohm), 2 x 600W (4 Ohm), 2 x 950W (2 Ohm)
  • Frequency Bandwidth (-3 dB): 0.1 Hz – 350 kHz
  • Power Supply Capacity: 2 x 68.000 microFarads

Audionet Humboldt:
  • Net Weight 135lbs
  • Power Output 2 x 320W (8 Ohm), 2 x 460W (4 Ohm), 2 x 650W (2 Ohm)
  • Frequency Bandwidth (-3 db) 0-700 KHz DC Coupled
  • Power Suppy Capacitance 800,000 microfarads!!

Don't get me wrong, the Diablo is a very very good Integrated, but the Humboldt is in a different league. The Humboldt can drive Apogees, MBLs and Sound Labs all day, most to 100+ db levels.

BTW, the Humboldt will drive every Wilson on the planet very easily. Wilsons are not that difficult to drive compared to the aforementioned speakers with virtually all modern Wilsons over 90db efficient.

Reactions: Hyperion and shakti

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
With all due respect, having owned the Diablo 300 and now owning the Humboldt, they both drive difficult loads very well, but the Humboldt, despite its more conservative power specs is significantly better driving more difficult loads. Here are the relevant specs for both Amps:

Gryphon Diablo 300:

• Net Weight 84lbs
  • Power Output: 2 x 300W (8 Ohm), 2 x 600W (4 Ohm), 2 x 950W (2 Ohm)
  • Frequency Bandwidth (-3 dB): 0.1 Hz – 350 kHz
  • Power Supply Capacity: 2 x 68.000 microFarads

Audionet Humboldt:
  • Net Weight 135lbs
  • Power Output 2 x 320W (8 Ohm), 2 x 460W (4 Ohm), 2 x 650W (2 Ohm)
  • Frequency Bandwidth (-3 db) 0-700 KHz DC Coupled
  • Power Suppy Capacitance 800,000 microfarads!!

Don't get me wrong, the Diablo is a very very good Integrated, but the Humboldt is in a different league. The Humboldt can drive Apogees, MBLs and Sound Labs all day, most to 100+ db levels.

BTW, the Humboldt will drive every Wilson on the planet very easily. Wilsons are not that difficult to drive compared to the aforementioned speakers with virtually all modern Wilsons over 90db efficient.
musicfirst1 thanks for your input, that's good to know coming from an ex Diablo 300 owner.
My speakers tend to be bright if not well paired, we'll see how it goes with the Humbold.
I'm also considering Gryphon Zena - Antileon Evo for a future upgrade.

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Even though they are ultra high bandwidth, similar to the Spectral gear of yor; neither the Humboldt or the Diablo 300 amps are remotely bright, unlike the Spectral gear which can be bright if paired incorrectly

Reactions: Thieliste

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
musicfirst1 thanks for your input, that's good to know coming from an ex Diablo 300 owner.
My speakers tend to be bright if not well paired, we'll see how it goes with the Humbold.
I'm also considering Gryphon Zena - Antileon Evo for a future upgrade.

You should definitely consider the Pilium Leonidas as well. Especially for a speaker where you might experience any kind of listening fatigue.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
You should definitely consider the Pilium Leonidas as well. Especially for a speaker where you might experience any kind of listening fatigue.

/ Marcus, www.perfect-sense.se
Thanks Marcus, yes i am planning to audition the Leonidas at some point if the Pilium dealer is ready to bring it to my place.
I already have the Humboldt planned for early december, we will make a shootout with my Diablo 300.

Reactions: Hyperion

_Alchemist_

May 19, 2020
Hi Guys,

I have an audionet humboldt with magico A3 and I'm looking to replace the magico's with possibly Sabrina x.
I do like the magico but they have one big flaw which is a timing issue between medium and bass drivers, therefore I can never get a perfectly clean low medium integration.

Does anyone here run this combo?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing