Wire Splicing

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I don't like wire nuts. Functionally they are fine. They are one of the best connectors I have used in the field. But for audio, and people going to the Nth degree they have issues.
1. It will create a bad inductive vertices that will double back a great deal of RF noise that’s attempting to move away from the system and towards the panel and Earth.

2. It raises the AC impedance a little. Wire nuts are code compliant, but I’m looking at the transient current too.

In order to get around them I looked for C crimps. This is what I came up with and use with stranded and solid wire. It is especially useful when you have AFCI in a panel and the tail is not long enough to reach the neutral bar. I extend them like this.

I will put a drop it Deoxit on the wires after I lock them. It will migrate up and down. Then I wrap the crimp in plumbers teflon tape. Then I go over it with Electrical vinyl tape.

I though people might find this interesting.
Rex

Attachments

• Wires Meshed.jpg
    Wires Meshed.jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 26
  • C Crimp Open.jpg
    C Crimp Open.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 28
  • C Crimp Locked.jpg
    C Crimp Locked.jpg
    367.6 KB · Views: 29
  • C Crimp Taped.jpg
    C Crimp Taped.jpg
    603.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Crimp Tool.jpg
    Crimp Tool.jpg
    633.5 KB · Views: 26

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing