World Debut: Vertere Reference Tonearm

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
We want another chance. I would have to vote Touraj winner on round one, but Gary and I are planning a comeback. Jack is so kind, I wonder what his moves are...
Win-Touraj
Place-Gary
Show-Me bad

It is Kentucky Derby day :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I wouldn't bet on myself Peter!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I like the light at the end of the armtube. And those large cartridge screws must make for easy cartridge swapping.

The screws holding the cartidge are designed by Peter Ledermann of Soundsmith. The screws come in different weights to help in mass loading.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
Looks like the arm board is acrylic. I guess that makes sense. It was designed on an acrylic TT.

Last edited:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
HMWA (high molecular weight acrylic) has some very interesting properties at the microscopic level and also at the molecular level. Last CES, I sat with Touraj and discussed materials, and what acrylic can do for turntables that isn't too obvious at first glance.

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
HMWA (high molecular weight acrylic) has some very interesting properties at the microscopic level and also at the molecular level. Last CES, I sat with Touraj and discussed materials, and what acrylic can do for turntables that isn't too obvious at first glance.

Anything you can share with us?

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

I'm running a delrin board on the rear slot.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
That is the cool thing about turntables that have arm boards. You can use whatever material works best for your setup.

I haven't tried the stock rosewood board since mine was mis-drilled at the factory when Bob Graham came over for the setup. Fortunately he brought his armboard (delrin) and we swapped. Delrin is my only data point with the techdas so far. When my Elite arm comes in I will be using the stock rosewood board.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I'm running a delrin board on the rear slot.

Nice - very clean and transparent, with slight softness. Going to rosewood will make it a little warmer, but wider soundstage.

From the looks of the picture, Touraj replaced the entire duralumin holder with acrylic. That will make a bigger difference than just changing the rosewood insert.

Different woods have different resonance characteristics as do different materials other than wood. I suspect that there's no "right" material to make these armboards out of. Every different one would sound different - which is what makes analog so much fun.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
These screws don't come with the arm.

Were they from Soundsmith or Touraj? I know that he was machining screws from the same billet of titanium as he made the tonearm head. He was telling me that it reduces resonance between the screw and the headshell resulting in cleaner contact between the cartridge and the headshell. I don't know if he turned it into an option or he was going to supply a pair of screws with a tonearm.

Thf99

Member Sponsor
May 1, 2012
Were they from Soundsmith or Touraj? I know that he was machining screws from the same billet of titanium as he made the tonearm head. He was telling me that it reduces resonance between the screw and the headshell resulting in cleaner contact between the cartridge and the headshell. I don't know if he turned it into an option or he was going to supply a pair of screws with a tonearm.

The screws are from Soundsmith. Touraj did bring along the titanium screws which come along with the arm but unfortunately, they didn't fit the cartridge that was being used.
As for the arm board, the acrylic used is of the cell cast type and not the extruded ones.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I love how trickle down technology allows a more easily affordable price point, but £24000 to £3500 sounds like a joke. £3500 is well beyond what most could ever hope to spend on a mere tonearm. £24000 is unforgiveable. All IMHO. High end pricing is a total embarrassment.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I love how trickle down technology allows a more easily affordable price point, but £24000 to £3500 sounds like a joke. £3500 is well beyond what most could ever hope to spend on a mere tonearm. £24000 is unforgiveable. All IMHO. High end pricing is a total embarrassment.

:)

As long as you can attach some vague , difficult to explain , jargon-sounding subjective terms to what you perceive or think you perceive it will remain so... We are into luxury goods after all...Whatever the market can bear ...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing