Do we need another high-end turntable? The Ars Machine M1

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Thank you all for your kind comments. I just watched Ron's interview with Ralf and can confirm everything he says its true, but understated, but I must truly say the M1 sounds even better than Ralf is suggesting. It is truly so quiet that you are not sure what the medium is for the source because it has a lower noise floor than the very best digital servers and associated switches can produce. Don't get me wrong, I love the sound I get from my Extreme and their switch, BUT there is still that analog contribution (possibly from the lack of sampling during the conversion from digital to analog). that digital cannot produce. Perhaps the biggest benefit of the this TT is how believable the sound is so you virtually instantly accept the sound as the actual musicians rather than a reproduction.

As a long time fan of tangential tonearms, I am shocked that I do not hear any tracking error from this radial tone arm. Also, unless you have heard the Bells Of Saint Anne and read the warnings about the cartridge being thrown out of the groove due to huge groove undulations during the lowest frequencies of the performance, it is really impossible to sense just how well this tonearm tracks.

I also want to restate that the CMS Ultra TT footers, made the TT sound even better than without them. The ARS Machine TT and Tonearm is truly one of my favorite audio products I have owned during my 64 years of being an audio fanatic.

I live half way between NYC and Philly and am very willing to demo the TT to any interested parties.

Reactions: aangen and gleeds

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Earlier in our thread Lee asked about platter weight. Ralf, Ars Chief Engineer suggested I share more details on the platter and it's design. Below you can see the multi-layer, multi-material construction that make up the M1's disc rotating platform. The design results in immeasurable vibration being transmitted to the record surface . The same can be said about the Ligne tonearm, resulting from its unique integrated ceramic headshell and stabilized unipivot bearing. I will be continuing to share details of M1 as we look to further explain our unique approach to vinyl replay and belief that mitigating vibration need not require a massive structure or cost six figures to achieve.

"Only Silence is Sound"
Ralf Woeful

platter_information (1).JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: aangen and mtemur

Geardaddy

Oct 1, 2012
Charlotte, NC
A subconscious homage to the Basis transcendence perchance?

Transcendent sound without the transcendence price?

There’s always room for better engineering.

Reactions: gleeds

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
A subconscious homage to the Basis transcendence perchance?

Transcendent sound without the transcendence price?

There’s always room for better engineering.
Geardaddy, loved your description! Another subconscious homage by the great Simon York. Always one of my favorite designs for its simplicity and purity of design.

Simon-York-2.jpg

Reactions: aangen and Argonaut

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
I have a Fuuga Miyabi and possibly a Murasakino Sumile and DS Audio W3 arriving soon. I am getting ready so we can have some fun comparing them in the exceptional Ars Machine M1 table and Lingum 12" arm. This will also be the first time I will have have the new Westminster Monologue phono pre in my system so some great analog sound is ahead.

PS If anyone is interested, we have one (1) show demo Ars Machinae table, arm and isolation base with a full five-year warranty, available at a handsome price. If interested, please PM me for pricing and details.

PXL_20230305_005713949.jpg

• Love
Reactions: aangen and gestalt

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I have had my ARS Machine with a My Sonic Labs Signature Platinum cartridge for 10 months and continue to have the same excitement I had the first time I heard it. Granted, I have tried my best to insure that every mm of the signal path is as good as it can be, both on the analog side and the digital sides using Westminster Lab class A equipment for my mono blocs and preamp with the Angus 'phono stage all with CMS Ultra footers under each component including the TT with its special vibration absorbing base. For reference my digital arm is aTaiko Extreme with the upgraded USB card and the new network card and switch outputting into a Lampizator Horizon running an assortment of different tubes and all connected by MasterBuilt Ultra cable except for the TT which uses FTA cable because the MB cables are too stiff for the application. My speakers are Von Schweikert Ultra 9's modified to accept the CMS LS 1.5 footers, which entails removing the skirt on the speakers, a new plinth allowing the footers to be direct screwed into the speaker cabinets. Of coursse I have upgraded my power and use outlet that are not commercially available, but sound great from Caelin at Shunyata. I even reinforced by floor under my system with 10 4X4's bracing my joists.

Needless to say I am both very fortunate to have the resources to have put this system together for total MSRP in the high 800K range combined with almost 55 years of endless component changes including 5 linear tracking tonearm TT's including the 110 of 110 Jonas Miller Sound custom built Rabco tone arm (unlike lithographs where the lower the number the better, with this tone arm the higher the number the better because the designer made improvements with each new tonearm, which I was very fortunate to be able to buy from Jonas because he was like a second father to me) and at least 15 pivot arm TT's from numerous high end VPI's, Triangle Arts Reference with both a $4500.00 Rockport Air Bearing straight tracker on a Thorens 125 TT, a B&O straight tracker and two heavily modified HK Rabo ST7's as well as others that I am not remembering, not to mention at least 25 high end cartridges including the $18k ZYX Optimum X, several of the top of the line Benz Micros, Sumiko's, Supex's, and numerous top of the line B&O's and at least 4 Grado Signatures hand picked by Joe Grady plus many more my 74 year old brain cannot remember.

I have had dipoles (at least 5 pairs of Martin Logan modified (both physical and circuit modifications to improve the consistency of the charge on the CLS's, a pair of ML Quests and Tympani 3A's, not to mention I built a dedicated reverse live end dead listening room designed by the former lead engineer for The Beach Boys with 5 tons of specially chosen rocks that I listened to to get the right amount of quartz laced through the rocks and then mortared them to the concrete wall behind the speaker so that I would have an irregular (15" variation) rear wall for the back wave reflections to be randomized, Dunlavy 5's a and even Dayton Wrights for a short time, plus many more including BG 6 foot tall reference line sources and freestanding woofer columns quad amped with all class A Pass amps, numerous JL and Entec subwoofers plus a wide array of English speakers (LS35A's) and even full top of the line MacIntosh speakers and electronics, etc. etc. The dead end of my room had a 6 foot deep bass trap built out of concrete with side walls that angled outward at 1.5 inches per meter, and a special hung ceiling that absorbed 97% of the sound

I tell you all of this nonsense so you have some idea of my experience and knowledge to help you realize how dramatic my following comments about the sound of the ARS Machinae and cartridge, which I must say does not make physics sense to me because it is better sounding than all of my linear trackers which should be impossible for a pivoting tonearm and for that matter better than any other turntable I have heard at any price. up to $500k!!!

To sum it up, there is no discernible groove noise and the image as rock solid as you can wish for, with NO audible tracking error, despite only being tangent to the grooves a 2 points in its arc????? While my digital arm is extraordinary and about to get even better when I make another $10K upgrade fromTaiko Audio, at least till I make the next upgrade, with a super high quality and superbly enginereed record and possibly direct to disk, not to mention many test pressings from Real-Time records directly from being cut on Real-Time's NeumannVMS 70 lathe, there is no question that the analog sounds better with a much better sound stage and much closer to real life than I have ever heard from any playback system, including some costing more 10 million dollars, including John Iverson's fabled Force Field system which I listened to for 10 hours in his lab.

As I have written, I live half way between NYC and Philly, about 50 minutes from both. Feel free to come by and if it is boating season I will take you out on my boat and barbecue you a meal. I promise I am not exaggerating!!!

I hope some of you will take my up on this offer.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Russ, I'll be there for the barbeque and boat ride, but not until summer:) Ralf and I appreciate the heartfelt words of appreciation for the Ars Machinae vinyl spinner!

Reactions: LampiNA

RalfAM

Industry Expert
Oct 14, 2022
Russ, another thank you from me. I am delighted that you are enjoying the BM1 so much.

Reactions: gleeds

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing