World Debut: Vertere Reference Tonearm

Isn't it interesting that whenever someone criticizes a Linn table, the stock answer always is its positioning? Obviously you never used like my friends a Linn with a springy floor :( Even mounting it on the wall didn't help.

Linn tables are a class of its own, you may upgrade as all the marketing campaigns suggest - but it will remain a Linn

Linn tables are a class of its own, you may upgrade as all the marketing campaigns suggest - but it will remain a Linn

There was a reviewer who had a 328GTS, IIRC, along with a matching Ferrari jumpsuit to go with it. I wonder if he said something similar every time he sat next to a Miata.

Maybe i'm not bright enough, but I found much of the clip little more than sales talk. It is still unclear to me what is so special...lots of arms use materials such as titanium, stainless steel and so on.It is not clear to me why this arm requires greater precision than many others, it is certainly not clear where 35,000 dollars went.Perhaps I will one day get to hear the arm, until then I will remain a little 'cautious.'

I think Touraj did a good job of explaining what he has done with this tonearm. I would love to hear one. It would be interesting to hear if the theory behind it and the price is justified.

I would have enjoyed seeing some close up video of the arm itself during this video interview. That was a lost opportunity. It might have helped me to understand what Touraj was trying to explain. I would not like that blue light shining during my evening listening sessions. I even cover the blue meters on my Pass amps because in the dark they are as bright as a car's oncoming high beams. Very distracting. Will Fremer be reviewing this arm and table combination?

Michael had the table for several weeks but not the arm. Review forthcoming I suspect. I'll reach out to Touraj and ask for a review sample for a comprehensive video review after my next commitments. I'm not a fan of the light either.

I would have enjoyed seeing some close up video of the arm itself during this video interview. That was a lost opportunity. It might have helped me to understand what Touraj was trying to explain. I would not like that blue light shining during my evening listening sessions. I even cover the blue meters on my Pass amps because in the dark they are as bright as a car's oncoming high beams. Very distracting. Will Fremer be reviewing this arm and table combination?

I would like a closer look at it as well. I'm sure the light has an on/off switch or can be defeated.

I would like a closer look at it as well. I'm sure the light has an on/off switch or can be defeated.

How do you know the light can be defeated? It seems obvious but a lot of equipment has those small lights to indicate power on and they can't be defeated. Where would a switch be? And wouldn't that just take away from an otherwise elegant and non resonating arm? I guess one could remove the light bulb.

How do you know the light can be defeated? It seems obvious but a lot of equipment has those small lights to indicate power on and they can't be defeated. Where would a switch be? And wouldn't that just take away from an otherwise elegant and non resonating arm? I guess one could remove the light bulb.

I think you answered your own question. Like you, I'm not a fan of light distractions either. That's why you won't find any pulsating lights, lava lamps, etc. in my room.

My guess is that it's battery powered or it would create noise that the cartridge would pick up. If so you could just disconnect the battery if it has no on/off switch. Or remove the LED as you suggest.:)

I believe in the video Touraj mentions that the light can be dimmed or extinguished (when he starts talking about ergonomic stuff).

FWIW, I still have no idea what Touraj is talking about; he's talking about different effective lengths on the horizontal and vertical planes - a) that's different than effective masses as claimed originally; b) I cannot grasp how different effective lengths could be achieved at the same time during playback, or how that helps, as if the cutting head does the same or something. Does he have a patent on this to check?

The light is a cueing assist, and has a dimmer and a switch so that you can turn it off. It was mentioned by Touraj in the video. To stop any noise from the power supply from interfering with the music signal, there is a battery-powered power supply (just a battery can also generate noise) plus a battery charger circuit.

I believe in the video Touraj mentions that the light can be dimmed or extinguished (when he starts talking about ergonomic stuff).

Whoops..... I should have read all the comments before replying. You must have watched the whole video through before commenting :)

FWIW, I still have no idea what Touraj is talking about; he's talking about different effective lengths on the horizontal and vertical planes - a) that's different than effective masses as claimed originally; b) I cannot grasp how different effective lengths could be achieved at the same time during playback, or how that helps, as if the cutting head does the same or something. Does he have a patent on this to check?

Knowing that the video would be public, I believe Touraj would have to be careful about how much and what he talked about. He explained about the effective masses and effective length on both horizontal and vertical planes around the fulcrum - which would be the off-set "bearings". I still don't know what to call them as they aren't bearings at all.

b) I cannot grasp how different effective lengths could be achieved at the same time during playback, or how that helps, as if the cutting head does the same or something. Does he have a patent on this to check?

I wondered about this, until it hit me. Imagine two bearings at right angles to each other, which only offer movement in one plane. If the two bearing are coincident, the effective length will be the same. But if the bearing responsible for vertical motion is a distance further away from the spindle than the bearing that is responsible for horizontal motion, the two effective lengths will indeed be different. Unless I'm missing something...

I wondered about this, until it hit me. Imagine two bearings at right angles to each other, which only offer movement in one plane. If the two bearing are coincident, the effective length will be the same. But if the bearing responsible for vertical motion is a distance further away from the spindle than the bearing that is responsible for horizontal motion, the two effective lengths will indeed be different. Unless I'm missing something...

I don't think you are Rich. That's how I understood it too.

Think Dynavector 505/507 arm bearings to get your head around it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing