Wotan VS Ref 610T

Theduker

Mar 6, 2014
Anyone heard both in the same system?

I am a Wotan owner who has a chance to purchase a pair of Audio Research Ref 610t locally.

Should I? Why or why not?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

I am a Wotan owner who has a chance to purchase a pair of Audio Research Ref 610t locally.

IMO they were both SOTA amps in their time. Owned the Ref 600 Mk lll which was the predecessor to the 610T and loved it ( it does get hot though so be prepared). When I had my 600 I had to add a separate central HVAC for my sound room only as it became very hot.

Why can't you demo both in your system for a comparison

What preamp do you use? I had an ARC Ref 3 and thought the combo was excellent

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Can we know what is the remaining system?

Theduker

Mar 6, 2014
Sorry for the incomplete info! I am about to upgrade the preamp, and am looking at:

ARC (Ref Anniversary or Ref 5... but the added cost of the 5 SE would seem to me to warrant an upgrade to the Anniversary... Which would almost seem to warrant the upgrade to the Ref 10.... Perhaps Ref 10 though... All my gear comes to me used)

or VTL (TL 7.5 I or TL 6.5, though I realize the Series I 7.5 is really meant for an all-VTL system).

I may just go with the Ref 5 (non-SE). It can be very affordable, at times!

My best speakers are Magnepan 20.1, rebuilt recently.
CD- Oppo 83 SE Exemplar modded (also have an Exemplar Denon 2900)

Turntable (not currently set up)
Table- VPI Aires I,
Cart Dynavector XV-1s,
Phono Pre VTL TP 2.5 s1

Other amps- VTL MB-300, MB-450 (sold!), Audio Research VM-220 monoblocks (about to be listed on Audiogon)
Solid State- Icepower 1000ASP based amps, both D-Sonic and DIY.

other speakers- MG 2.6r, Martin Logan ReQuests and Ascents. (sold- Magnepan 3.6)

I'm really not into high dollar interconnects or power cords, I've been known to make some of each now and then.

Currently I am bringing audiophile power into the bedroom and living room as part of a home remodel. I've been told to give Wotan 30 amps per channel, but as a practical matter, 20 amps per channel might be all I can swing at the moment.

Regardless of whether I bought the 610s (they have the KT-120 update) I would keep the Wotans. They're huge but I like them quite a bit! They are way too much power in Tetrode mode for my speakers, and don't sound good at all... but in Triode mode, they sound really great! It's quite different than the ARC house sound, however.

(Thanks for answering my post, I've been checking you fellows out for a while... Impressed!)

Last edited:

Theduker

Mar 6, 2014
I picked up the Ref 610t with the KT-120 upgrade... it'll be a while before I can hear them because my house is completely torn up, but hopefully someday soon, I'll be able to hear them!

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
I picked up the Ref 610t with the KT-120 upgrade... it'll be a while before I can hear them because my house is completely torn up, but hopefully someday soon, I'll be able to hear them!

The 610s are fantastic! You will really enjoy them. Buying equipment like the ARC 610 Ts used is almost a steal.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Congrats!!...i am personally a big fan of such reference pieces from the past, and often find they still deserve their vaunted reputation. My own system reflects this with almost exclusively second hand stuff...some a bit newer, but surely some of a similar vintage as your mighty 610Ts. I also used to have an Oppo 83 mod'd and that things was amazing til it broke...absolutely amazing.

As for preamps, i have heard the Ref 5 and 5SE...i did prefer the SE. I have heard the latest VTL Ref pre but not in a system i knew well. That said, the sound of that unfamiliar system is 1 of the 2 best i have ever heard (Arrakis, 4 VTL Siegfrieds, Clear Audio Statement TT, Rockport Sirius, etc)...I would be surprised if you went wrong with 5SE, 10 or VTL II. i would just make sure the impedances are compatible with your 610Ts.

Very exciting and pls post when you've got them settled in and playing. Enjoy.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Fortunately you choose the best for your system. :) The REF610t improved a lot with the KT120. Now you need an Anniversary (REF40) preamplifier.

mcduman

Aug 9, 2014
congratulations. i used a ref 610 along with a ref 5 for close to 6 years. the speakers were yg anats, magico m5 and briefly maggies with opus mm2 cabling. never compared them with the wotans nor did the kt-120 upgrade. unlike the older ref 600's they were very stable and reliable amps. held bias very well. the last super-amp designed by william z. johnson, for that alone I thought I would keep them forever.

Theduker

Mar 6, 2014
So update- I got the KT120 Ref 610t as well as a ref 5.

Right after I bought the Ref 5, a ref anniversary came along and I was tempted. Since the Ref 5 is still in the box (and a cleaner one I haven't seen, not even at the dealer) I didn't upgrade to the Ref 40. (Hey, I've retired recently at the age of 47, you have to know your limitations). Maybe šome day, or perhaps I'll upgrade my Ref 5 to an SE. (For 3k for the upgrade, it's almost better to rationalize springing for a used ref 40.)

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
So update- I got the KT120 Ref 610t as well as a ref 5.

Right after I bought the Ref 5, a ref anniversary came along and I was tempted. Since the Ref 5 is still in the box (and a cleaner one I haven't seen, not even at the dealer) I didn't upgrade to the Ref 40. (Hey, I've retired recently at the age of 47, you have to know your limitations). Maybe šome day, or perhaps I'll upgrade my Ref 5 to an SE. (For 3k for the upgrade, it's almost better to rationalize springing for a used ref 40.)

The 610T is a great amp, either with the Ref 5 or the Anniversary. The Anniversary is a substantial upgrade though. I had 610Ts with the Ref 5 for a couple of years then with the Anniversary for another 2 years. Loved the 610T until I got tired of sending one or the other back to Plymouth a couple of times a year when a tube would go and take out a resistor with it.

Good luck with your purchase and enjoy the great sound I'm sure you're getting from the ARC combo.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing