YG Acoustics

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Crazy that Luxman isn't in Singapore... Oh well... It wouldn't have been a particularly warm pairing anyway...
A safe bet would be a D'Agostino Progression integrated. I've used the Momentum integrated on Carmel 2s, and it was really good.

Thanks Alex, will add Progression Integrated in my shortlist too.

Reactions: ctydwn

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Hi kimurastanley, Any updates on your amp search to pair with the Carmel 2s? I used to have the C2s (now the Hailey 2.2s) and they paired very nicely with the Simaudio 870a. Not sure if Sim is available in your area but perhaps the 860a v2 could be demoed.... Sounds like you had a great list to try already!

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Hi kimurastanley, Any updates on your amp search to pair with the Carmel 2s? I used to have the C2s (now the Hailey 2.2s) and they paired very nicely with the Simaudio 870a. Not sure if Sim is available in your area but perhaps the 860a v2 could be demoed.... Sounds like you had a great list to try already!

At the end I settle with Accuphase A75. How do you find the improvement of Hailey 2.2 over carmel 2?

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
At the end I settle with Accuphase A75. How do you find the improvement of Hailey 2.2 over carmel 2?
The Accuphase A75 looks like a gorgeous piece. I moved to a larger room recently and the Carmel 2s couldn't quite fill it. I believe the Hailey 2.2s suit the room very well, for my ears. They provide a wonderful weight/foundation to the stage which I feel helps all frequencies and the new tweeter is sublime. I have made a number of cable upgrades since switching speakers so in a way it isn't totally fair to the C2s as I know they would have benefited as well. The C2s are just an incredible speaker in the right space. Just my opinion though.

Reactions: asiufy

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
The Accuphase A75 looks like a gorgeous piece. I moved to a larger room recently and the Carmel 2s couldn't quite fill it. I believe the Hailey 2.2s suit the room very well, for my ears. They provide a wonderful weight/foundation to the stage which I feel helps all frequencies and the new tweeter is sublime. I have made a number of cable upgrades since switching speakers so in a way it isn't totally fair to the C2s as I know they would have benefited as well. The C2s are just an incredible speaker in the right space. Just my opinion though.

My listening space is not big, hence I go for Carmel 2. Mind to share your electronics and the cables you are using?

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
My listening space is not big, hence I go for Carmel 2. Mind to share your electronics and the cables you are using?
Sure. Currently using Simaudio 780d v2, 740p and 870a. I use a mix of Nordost Valhalla 2 and Odin 1 for cables. I do pair the Haileys with a JL Fathom 112v2 which works well in my room.

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Hey guys before deciding on YG did you compare to Magico? If so what did you find?

Like YG Carmel vs magico a3?
Sonja 2.3 vs m3?
Sonja XV vs M6 ?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hey guys before deciding on YG did you compare to Magico? If so what did you find?
Like YG Carmel vs magico a3?
Sonja 2.3 vs m3?
Sonja XV vs M6 ?

In HK the net prices of YG Carmel2 and Magico A5 are similar.
The A5 is totally diff from A5.
I consider performance-wise it's in another league.

I would suggest YG Carmel2 vs A5 instead. :)

Reactions: asiufy

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
In HK the net prices of YG Carmel2 and Magico A5 are similar.
The A5 is totally diff from A5.
I consider performance-wise it's in another league.

I would suggest YG Carmel2 vs A5 instead. :)

Did you compare Carmel 2 to A5 yet?

Also wonder why entry level YG is so pricey compared to entry level Magico?

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
What I mean to say is that it seems the weight, size, drive complement leads one to compare the Carmel 2 more with the A3 and the Vantage more with the A5. But of course in both those cases the Magicos are cheaper. Why is this ?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I heard the A3 at a dealer demo with DCS Rossini/Bartok DAC, a UK high end pre power and Wilson Sashas.
It was alright for the price but nothing special. Carmel 2s are a much better speaker all round.

Reactions: tobiasrankin

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Does the a3 have better bass than the carmel 2 though since it has 2 bass drivers and is also heavier/bigger.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Not in my experience of hearing the YG2s on a number of occasions. I recall reading at least one review/show report which commented very favourably on their bass response.
Generally speaking you would expect the Carmel to outperform the A3 given the price difference and that is what I have found. Obviously niether are designed for large rooms which was why I sold my Carmel 1s for a rare pair of Kipod Signature passives. I just needed more scale than the Carmels could deliver in my room.
The build quality of all the YGs is outstanding and a good used pair of Carmel 2s would, I am sure, be a much more satisfying buy than the A3s. I would also expect that they would hold their value better too.

Reactions: Dhkte

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Barry did you do any other match ups between YG and Magico as you moved up the line? Like with hailey or sonja and S or M series magico?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Tobias
I have heard the S1,3 and 5s over a period of about 4 years and they were better than the A3s. They all sounded a bit short on nuancing and musicality though to my ears compared to the YGs.
The Sonjas etc are really above my price range but I do rate the Haileys very highly. I have heard them several times at Munich with different partners and was impressed by them.
A number of other members also rate them highly so very much worth auditioning,

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
I heard the Sonja 1.3 and although I did like them I think the magico m2 was superior. However you can't really compare them since it was 2 different rooms and systems. The Sonjas maybe not at their best being driven by BHK300s. The m2 was driven by luxman 509X and was unreal.

Reactions: CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I have listened to Carmel2 and A3 many times.
Although no direct comparison in a same system, it's pretty obvious that the former is better in most aspects.

However, the A5 is a totally diff animal.
I have expressed my views on it on the A5 thread in WBF already.
:cool:

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Hi I auditioned YG and Magico last year. Limitation was 2 setup paired with different electronics. The speakers I listened to were Carmel 2 and S3 Mk2. In general YG has better musical flow to me. Advantage of S3 mk2 is the deeper bass response (kinda expected in view of more and bigger drivers).

Last edited:

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
I have listened to Carmel2 and A3 many times.
Although no direct comparison in a same system, it's pretty obvious that the former is better in most aspects.

However, the A5 is a totally diff animal.
I have expressed my views on it on the A5 thread in WBF already.
:cool:

A5 is cheaper than Carmel 2 too.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I heard the Sonja 1.3 and although I did like them I think the magico m2 was superior. However you can't really compare them since it was 2 different rooms and systems. The Sonjas maybe not at their best being driven by BHK300s. The m2 was driven by luxman 509X and was unreal.

You can listen to Sonja 2.2 with the Luxman in our store, a fairly good match.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing