Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Which one do you long to read and why

hi>fi+

Because it has smart reviews by some smart reviewers, great articles, music reviews (fantastic), and the best pictures and quality paper of them all;
from the entire audio industry business. :b

Just ask Alan Sircom*, Roy Gregory, Paul Messenger, Alvin Gold & Martin Colloms for example.

* Alan is also a member here at WBF.
{And yes, this audio mag is not from the USA or Canada, but from the UK.}

P.S. Deja vu; I believe that we've been through something quite similar here in the past.

I still like TAS the best. Although, the recent articles by JV are getting OLD. It seems like every issue he has an epiphany listening to the latest speaker that comes his way. The Raidho being the latest...so much hyperbole in this review, i almost threw up!
Nonetheless, so far it's TAS.

hi>fi+

Because it has smart reviews by some smart reviewers, great articles, music reviews (fantastic), and the best pictures and quality paper of them all;
from the entire audio industry business. :b

Just ask Alan Sircom*, Roy Gregory, Paul Messenger, Alvin Gold & Martin Colloms for example.

* Alan is also a member here at WBF.
{And yes, this audio mag is not from the USA or Canada, but from the UK.}

P.S. Deja vu; I believe that we've been through something quite similar here in the past.

Actually not quite true since being acquired by Tom Martin and TAS.

Actually not quite true since being acquired by Tom Martin and TAS.

Which part Myles is "not quite true"? ...What do you mean exactly? Do you have any assumption to what I just said above?

- I tried to understand what you meant exactly, but without any success. ...And without understanding I simply cannot reply.

Which part Myles is "not quite true"? ...What do you mean exactly? Do you have any assumption to what I just said above?

- I tried to understand what you meant exactly, but without any success. ...And without understanding I simply cannot reply.

You're kidding right?

I am guessing the comment suggests the acquisition by TAS means technically hifi+ is a US-owned and controlled magazine?

Hifi critic is generally a good read IMHO.

I am guessing the comment suggests the acquisition by TAS means technically hifi+ is a US-owned and controlled magazine?

Not to mention there's been a lot of xover -- not to mention change -- of writers between the two mags since the acquisition.

Don't read any on a regular basis, only when something of interest pops up. Will peruse 6moons or stereophile once in a while, don't like to waste time with TAS, usually consult the archives for things from PF, can't remember the last time I even saw a HI FI+ but I like their style, rarely will download a TONE .pdf tome. Sometimes will go to DAGOGO.

I pretty much have my modes nailed down after years of experimentation, so most mags are only of passing fancy/entertainment. I can't really vote because nothing really applies to my meandering habits.

Not to mention there's been a lot of xover -- not to mention change -- of writers between the two mags since the acquisition.

I see now. Thing is that my post was in another time frame than yours; and that is all Myles. I replied to the OP's main question in an overall honest answer.
So I was 100% truthful, but you are simply adding the new changes. ...Done over the last few years? ...For the always better. :b

Anyway, hi>fi+ is my preferred audio mag. ...And for the longest time from the UK, and with everything that I already said in my post.
{Mags they get acquired all the time by insiders and outsiders; that don't change a thing of the past.}

I would say soundstage for component advice ,and stereophile for advice and measurements and testing.
I never buy mags anymore ,i read it all on he net ,actually come to think of it i m pretty much done componentwise anyway.
There are a lot of nice mags ,most beautifull [paper] would be hifi +

Looks like I'm the one one who voted for Stereophile. It is my favorite, no doubt, but I would like to see some younger writers, or at the very least someone familiar with pop culture and modern music. Hell, Sam Telling is 70 and listens to relatively anemic pieces; like I give a crap about his reviews. We're all getting older, sure. I'm about to turn 50, myself, and I stared reading the rag in my 20s. We need some fresh blood. Someone like Stephen Mejias, but more interested in high-performance equipment. To be honest, I miss CG most of all. Didn't like him as a guy, but sure loved his writing.

I used to buy all of them on a regular basis, although not every issue from every one of them. I stopped that some years back as information on the web became more widely available. I like reading UHF magazine as their reviews are done by 3 reviewers, not just one and they have a wonderful feedback and free advice section. It's the free advice section I like the most as readers will write in asking for suggestions or to help with an issue.

How about adding the truly good magazines from the past like:

'Audio' magazine

The original 'Audio Amateur' and 'Speaker Builder' magazines

'The Audio Critic' magazine

Or still current magazines that in the past were good, like:

'Stereophile' magazine

'Widescreen Review' magazine

I like Soundstage network for Doug and Jeff...they are the only 2 reviewers I trust... Tone Audio has nice pictures but they like everything they review...nothing is bad...
6 moons is full of patchouli gibberish..Stereophile I am done with it...same for TAS.

for keeping uptodate nothing beats those 2 sites, trust me on this one ! : http://www.ultrahighendreview.com/ AND http://cybwiz.blogspot.ca/

Last edited:
How about adding the truly good magazines from the past like:

'Audio' magazine

The original 'Audio Amateur' and 'Speaker Builder' magazines

'The Audio Critic' magazine

Or still current magazines that in the past were good, like:

'Stereophile' magazine

'Widescreen Review' magazine

- The $ensibleSound
- The Inner Ear
- Gramophone

I like Soundstage as well because of Doug and Jeff. I only like Stereophile for Kal's reviews and Atkinson speaker measurements and reviews. None of the rest of it interests me in the least and I am not going to renew after being a subscriber for many many years. Did not renew The Absolute Sound either as it was just too subjective for my taste.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing